BWS... is it really aimed to be a DAW...?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's one kind of a DAW.

I'm lucky we don't have laws yet defining what a DAW should, and should not be :)

Taika-Kim wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:49 pm It's one kind of a DAW.
I agree and honestly it doesn't really matter what it was "aimed to be...". I use it as a DAW and that's all that matters to me. I'm very happy with the level of flexibility that Bitwig provides (thanks all for the suggestions and work arounds) as most thing that I want to do are possible, even if there isn't an obvious, purpose-designed-feature for it. With a little critical thinking, I can accomplish almost anything I need to do.

I'm lucky we don't have laws yet defining what a DAW should, and should not be :)
yeah, that's why I'm making a DAW that saves JPEG, has no audio engine, modulates words, has only random functions, and outputs only black to the screen. :)

Then you're not making a DAW, or a Digital Audio Workstation. While a DAW can come in many configurations it does require that you can work with audio at the very least. This might help you familiarize yourself with the concept, while not definitive, it's very informative: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

Oh you're welcome! Glad to be of help. :smack:
-JH

Even if I am a bit late to the party I want to add 2 things from my point of view:

1. Bitwig wouldn´t listen to the users...

Not for me...
I made a complain about how Transient control and the Compressor changed their sound depending if the GUI of them was visible or not... a few days later there was a fix available...

Second I started a thread here on the forum about deactivating tracks should unload plugins out of RAM... 2.5 update... plugins not only unload from RAM by deactivating tracks but with an option on the plugins themselves...

So I cannot tell they wouldn´t listen...

2. about the midi solo/mute discussion here...

a) I would guess from all Bitwig users the ones heavily using hardware are an absolute minority so it´s a matter of priority
b) all what was claimed here, is already possible... and it´s a bit unfair to say it doesn´t "work" if it just does work a bit different...
Using a seperate track for midi was long long time a standard in many DAWs and still is when working with multitimbral instruments...
What shall users of S1, Ableton or Cubase say, if they try to route the same midi track/clip to different targets without changing the midi input of that target track because they need it seperately...

In general:
I sold/rebought Bitwig a few times because of being unsure where this ship is steering at in future...
Nevertheless I got always back being positive surprised about the past developement...

Have a bit trust in them... (at least I try hard to do so in future)
I don´t know them at all personally, but to me, it seems they would have a great and fresh vision about this product and are ambitious working on that...

JHernandez wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:47 am Then you're not making a DAW, or a Digital Audio Workstation. While a DAW can come in many configurations it does require that you can work with audio at the very least. This might help you familiarize yourself with the concept, while not definitive, it's very informative: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation

Oh you're welcome! Glad to be of help. :smack:
whooooshhhh
(soft whisper: guv, that was my point :hug: )

^ Yeah I got your point, mine is almost cryptic, playing off your point VS his.

Taika-Kim still referred to a DAW which gives him room on the definition: an electronic device or application software used for recording, editing and producing audio files, in other words: there is no one set configuration for a DAW to be a DAW so long as it does that, where as you described something that isn't a DAW by definition.

Obvious language barrier on his part, but I understood his meaning so I played off that VS yours.

Sorry, but is that some line from a British TV show or something?
-JH

BWS... is it really aimed to be a DAW...?
Yes

JHernandez wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:19 pm ^ Yeah I got your point, mine is almost cryptic, playing off your point VS his.

Taika-Kim still referred to a DAW which gives him room on the definition: an electronic device or application software used for recording, editing and producing audio files, in other words: there is no one set configuration for a DAW to be a DAW so long as it does that, where as you described something that isn't a DAW by definition.

Obvious language barrier on his part, but I understood his meaning so I played off that VS yours.
sure mate sure, obviously, I understand :ud: :zzz:
JHernandez wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:19 pm Sorry, but is that some line from a British TV show or something?
maybe, could also be a language barrier. :shrug:

I don't think you do. I don't remember trying to impregnate you. Did you get my consent?
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:09 pm I don't think you do. I don't remember trying to impregnate you. Did you get my consent?
I think you didn't get the point, don't want to admit that and you can't stand that, so you come up with this beating around bush blahblah.

"almost cryptic" rofl.

You simply don't matter enough for that. You're like a fart in the wind, sure a fart may stink a little so I notice it exits but ultimately it passes and it means nothing to me.

Apologies for keeping you from that important studio time. I know how much you care about it. I'll bother you no more.
Last edited by JHernandez on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:17 pm Apologies
Apologies almost accepted.

SpaceCadetOnLeave wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 am

yeah, that's why I'm making a DAW that saves JPEG, has no audio engine, modulates words, has only random functions, and outputs only black to the screen. :)
Why would somebody need such a DAW???

u-u-u wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:24 pm
SpaceCadetOnLeave wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 am

Why would somebody need such a DAW???
It's a joke used as a rhetorical device - read between the lines folks

Return to “Bitwig”