BITWIG STUDIO 3

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:48 pm
stamp wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:41 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm I’m talking about global snapshots. Not just devices but send levels, mutes, track levels and everything. And that can be both set and recalled on the fly. Like Maschine.
This!
Do it with the good old fashioned save as... Saves my ass since 1984...
But thinking of it, if Bitwig could keep automatically some versions, that would be cool, then you just save and if you don‘t like it, go back...
? We're talking about a performance feature here. Setting the state of parameters and being able to recall them live. Very useful to be able to instantly recall to a safe state when you've tweaked a lot of parameters. Again, the idea is exactly what Maschine does, so look at that if you're not sure.

Hoping update allows mouse wheel to adjust parameters. Tried looking it up in manual and searched online as well. Seems like so far bitwig doesnt support it.

If BWS 3 has this function, all the native plugins will get way more use.

Butwug wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 am Hoping update allows mouse wheel to adjust parameters. Tried looking it up in manual and searched online as well. Seems like so far bitwig doesnt support it.

You're being sarcastic, right? So hard to tell on Internet :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 am
Butwug wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:37 am Hoping update allows mouse wheel to adjust parameters. Tried looking it up in manual and searched online as well. Seems like so far bitwig doesnt support it.

You're being sarcastic, right? So hard to tell on Internet :D
I don't think he is, is this feature available somehow? Would be handy instead of clicking if you could just hover the mouse and scroll the wheel to move the parameters

kiedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 amI don't think he is, is this feature available somehow? Would be handy instead of clicking if you could just hover the mouse and scroll the wheel to move the parameters.
You got me wrong - if people want it, then it should be added but smartly, because I would hate if values changed when I two-finger swipe the trackpad... I myself just either use controller or trackpad and once I find the approximate level I want I'll anyway input it with keyboard.

I'm just saying it's a silly reason to not use native devices for :)
Music tech enthusiast

Dear Bitwig- I have a day off today, please release BWS 3 Beta :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 am Dear Bitwig- I have a day off today, please release BWS 3 Beta :-)
This sums it up! Best post in this thread yet!!
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

antic604 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 am
kiedo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 amI don't think he is, is this feature available somehow? Would be handy instead of clicking if you could just hover the mouse and scroll the wheel to move the parameters.
You got me wrong - if people want it, then it should be added but smartly, because I would hate if values changed when I two-finger swipe the trackpad... I myself just either use controller or trackpad and once I find the approximate level I want I'll anyway input it with keyboard.

I'm just saying it's a silly reason to not use native devices for :)
My hand flares up if I do repetitive stuff too long. It's never been the same after laying down my motorcycle. Having to hold down the click button to do stuff like moving a knob/parameter really speeds up how fast I need to take a break from the desk. Scrolling is much easier on my hand, so find myself using other devices. So no, it is not a silly reason. If just about every vst out there allows wheel scrolling, it shouldn't be too hard to implement. A simple on/off switch or shortcut would suffice, because as you said, last thing we want is to scroll during something else, and move a parameter without even knowing.

Butwug wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:08 pmSo no, it is not a silly reason.
Well, it sounded silly until you explained your situation :)

Unless you're a well-known celebrity and everyone's aware of your particular physical condition, then it's fair to assume it was just some weird preference and funny reason to discriminate against something otherwise useful :) 90% of useless internet discussion happens on the Internet because people don't give relevant background info when asking for something.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 am
Butwug wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:08 pmSo no, it is not a silly reason.
Well, it sounded silly until you explained your situation :)

Unless you're a well-known celebrity and everyone's aware of your particular physical condition, then it's fair to assume it was just some weird preference and funny reason to discriminate against something otherwise useful :) 90% of useless internet discussion happens on the Internet because people don't give relevant background info when asking for something.
lol yeah, Im not really asking for this feature as a "for the disabled" feature :lol: . Im pretty sure not one developer who put the mouse wheel scroll function did it for that reason. Probably more for due to the fact it is super convenient. For instance, with other VST's I usually close my eyes when dialing in settings, such as compression, reverb, etc.... I just hover over the parameter and scroll little by little, honing in the best value. Kind of whack trying that while holding down the clicker. The ease of doing that, as you mentioned can potentially lead to unwanted parameters being moved. So yeah, there does need to be some sort of on/off function for quick access. I can live with having a shortcut for on/off :tu:

Just went through a handful of the vst's I've purchased and they all have the function of moving parameters with mouse wheel. I know I can't be the only one who finds that feature to be extremely useful, convenient, and almost a standard. If Bitwig wants to have their native plugins to compete, at least for me, that feature is a must. Even if my hand didn't flare up, I would still use the mouse to move parameters. I mean, clicking to move parameters almost feels like clicking on the side bar of the internet browser to scroll, instead of using wheel. It's weird and funky.
Last edited by Butwug on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sagetone wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:31 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 am Dear Bitwig- I have a day off today, please release BWS 3 Beta :-)
This sums it up! Best post in this thread yet!!
And now the weekend is loooming......

Butwug wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:02 am
Just went through a handful of the vst's I've purchased and they all have the function of moving parameters with mouse wheel. I know I can't be the only one who finds that feature to be extremely useful, convenient, and almost a standard. If Bitwig wants to have their native plugins to compete, at least for me, that feature is a must. Even if my hand didn't fear up, I would still use the mouse to move parameters. I mean, clicking to move parameters almost feels like clicking on the side bar of the internet browser to scroll, instead of using wheel. It's weird and funky.
I am not sure, but it can be a feature on purpose not allowing the mouse wheel to change parameters...

If you have a look into other developers forums there are tons of complains about this topic, that they want to have the support of mousewheel for changing parameters removed because it´s very easy to change parameters accidentally while hovering over a wheel but wanting just to scroll...

And tbh, this happened to me a lot too in e.g. Reaper... if you don´t be very careful it´s very easy in the track control panel to not be in the 100% right place for scrolling but accidentally changing the width knob or panning or volume...

So, this is a valid complain... the benefit on one side but it´s very easy to run into trouble with this enabled too...

Honestely I like best the implementation of Ableton´s parameter changing by selecting a parameter and be able to use the arrow keys to step through values... this is quite nice to work with...

Trancit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 am
Butwug wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:02 am
Just went through a handful of the vst's
I am not sure, but it can be a feature on purpose not allowing the mouse wheel to change parameters...

If you have a look into other developers forums there are tons of complains about this topic, that they want to have the support of mousewheel for changing parameters removed because it´s very easy to change parameters accidentally while hovering over a wheel but wanting just to scroll...

And tbh, this happened to me a lot too in e.g. Reaper... if you don´t be very careful it´s very easy in the track control panel to not be in the 100% right place for scrolling but accidentally changing the width knob or panning or volume...

So, this is a valid complain... the benefit on one side but it´s very easy to run into trouble with this enabled too...

Honestely I like best the implementation of Ableton´s parameter changing by selecting a parameter and be able to use the arrow keys to step through values... this is quite nice to work with...
Are you talking about people wanting it removed from DAWs or plugins? Not sure how scrolling would affect parameters in a plugin....unless people like to keep instrument/fx plugins open while navigating the DAW. Maybe people do that? Not sure. Whenever I scroll it’s always outside the chain menu, and I never keep my finger on the wheel. Again, who does that? Lol im not saying people dont, but that is a really weird way of using a computer, not just a DAW. Again, not saying people dont do that, but it seems strange to me.

How about these ideas.

1. Give option for on/off.

2. Make the mouse wheel scrolling active only when inside if the bottom section that contains the chain of plugins.

3. Make wheel active only when expanded into full view mode if a native plugin in. Although not all plugins have an expanded view option :/

This sounds like a winner to me : ". . . selecting a parameter and be able to use the arrow keys to step through values..."
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:35 pm This sounds like a winner to me : ". . . selecting a parameter and be able to use the arrow keys to step through values..."
There should just be several options really. Each has their own workflow and one isnt better than the other. Im sure that works well for you, but for me, using arrows means my non mouse hand is now occupied. I make all my patches and while using any random synth. I have the basic drumkit playing a loop. One hand is playing the midi keyboard, the other is quickly moving parameters on the vst finding the proper settings for that track. Having to use arrows means using up the keyboard or mouse hand. But not everyone has that workflow or plays the keyboard while moving parameters on synths/fx. As long as the developers see that theres some change wanted in the way the user interacts with it’s native plugins,

Return to “Bitwig”