Properllerhead Layers vs IK Syntronik?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone seen the just announced Prop Layers?

https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason ... ons/layers

Seems a bit like IK Syntronik.

Has anyone been able to compare the two and give their thoughts?

It's not getting good feedback on some of the groups that I'm on. I'm not surprised TBH. What's so special about this in Reason?

If you look in the manual you can see that on the back it says "powered by pink noise studios." My guess is that it's this product wrapped up in props sample engine.

http://www.reasonbanks.com/refill_AM3.html

It's only getting shit in the other groups because it's essentially a nicely packaged/presented version of Pink Noise's Analog Monsters 3 refill, with a customized GUI/UX. At the end of the day, it's an IDT rompler.

Taking into consideration you can buy AM3 direct from Pink Noise for 39 Eur/$46 USD, your paying an additional $24 USD/20 Eur for a customized GUI/UX. The bottom line is, if you already own AM3, I might pass unless you find the GUI/UX inspiring. If you don't own AM3, I feel Layers is a much more inspiring choice for the GUI/UX alone. Looking at a Combinator or a bunch of NNXT's just doesn't feel inspiring in 2017.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Wave Alchemy Spectrum is probably a more apt comparison since that is in the same price range (but cheaper) and has 4 layers.

This is an old post that I'm bumping, but what the heck.
The OP asked about comparison between the Propellerheads "Layers" Rack Extension and IK Multimedia's Syntronik.

I have both, and yes, you could do pretty much the same sound design using both.
I have the full Syntronik €199 version with all the synth models + the Memory-V expansion, requiring 70GB space for the samples, so while the basic sound creation can be done in both products, Syntronik sounds way better in my ears at least.

With Syntronik you have the same ability to layer four different synths, mix, match and add effects to each layer, add arps and whatnot, and designate key-zones for each layer.

All in all I'd say Syntronik has more options and is equally easy to work with once you understand the UI and flow of operations. It also functions as a stand-alone app, which is quite nice.
What I Use:
MacBook Pro 2017 with MacOS X 10.14
Propellerhead Reason 10
Various VST's and Rack Extensions

CloudsOfSound wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:43 pm This is an old post that I'm bumping, but what the heck.
The OP asked about comparison between the Propellerheads "Layers" Rack Extension and IK Multimedia's Syntronik.

I have both, and yes, you could do pretty much the same sound design using both.
I have the full Syntronik €199 version with all the synth models + the Memory-V expansion, requiring 70GB space for the samples, so while the basic sound creation can be done in both products, Syntronik sounds way better in my ears at least.
So Syntronik for €199 and the Memory-V expansion for €49.99? Yeah, I'd expect a €250 instrument to hopefully sound quite a bit better than a €99 instrument (though I've seen Layers for as little as €49 on sale).

Unrelated, but I'm curious - does Syntronik require SampleTank?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:15 pm
CloudsOfSound wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:43 pm This is an old post that I'm bumping, but what the heck.

So Syntronik for €199 and the Memory-V expansion for €49.99? Yeah, I'd expect a €250 instrument to hopefully sound quite a bit better than a €99 instrument (though I've seen Layers for as little as €49 on sale).

Unrelated, but I'm curious - does Syntronik require SampleTank?
True, though Syntronik was recently on sale (€69 IIRC, though I got it for $59.49 at JRR) and Memory-V was free for a while.

Syntronik works stand-alone, though it probably wraps around a special build of SampleTank 3 internally.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:47 am Syntronik works stand-alone, though it probably wraps around a special build of SampleTank 3 internally.
It's sort of flipped around, Syntronik itself was created in a newer framework (and some of the improvements were incorporated into SampleTank 4 as it also uses the new framework) but the sounds work in SampleTank 3 (sans arpeggiator and other features that were only available in Syntronik).

You don't have to install Sample Tank, Syntronik operates as a stand-alone app and as a VST / AU plugin.
You could install Sample Tank, if you want more insight / control over the presets and effects etc that Syntronik uses.
By default Syntronik content is installed to the Sample Tank directory, but as said, it doesn't require Sample Tank to operate.

I purchased the whole enchilada as an upgrade on sale, and got Memory-V + full Syntronik version for around €90, so a decent deal.
What I Use:
MacBook Pro 2017 with MacOS X 10.14
Propellerhead Reason 10
Various VST's and Rack Extensions

Yeah, there were some good deals on Syntronik recently, plus the Deluxe upgrade was recently on sale for 50% off.
I enjoy programming my own patches or heavily modifying presets beyond what's possible in Syntronik, but having such a vast library of synth sounds ready to go is great when you just want to pick a sound and carry on with your musical idea. Some of them rely a bit too heavily on phasers and other FX for my tastes, but the effects can be turned off.

Return to “Instruments”