Is it really sick to have 20 synthesizers?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Robmobius
KVRAF
3154 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:07 am

V0RT3X wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:33 pm
Thread was originally called "Is it really cool to have 20 synthesizers?" But it got changed.
I've got more than 20... :scared:
We 'the leaders' bring you the ultimate paradigm shift. Dramatization: No paradigms were actually shifted in the making of this statement. Furthermore, any reference to paradigms is for entertainment purposes only.

Deep Purple
KVRian
1125 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Re: Is it really sick to have 20 synthesizers?

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am

V0RT3X wrote:
Thread was originally called "Is it really cool to have 20 synthesizers?" But it got changed.
You kids and all your new fangled phrases...
Sweet child in time...

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7630 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Alesia

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:13 am

Deep Purple wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am
V0RT3X wrote:
You kids and all your new fangled phrases...
I don't think my generation was so bad, actually it's more of the 20 somethings generations fault for some of this newer slang.

BBFG#
KVRAF
5546 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:25 am

This thread has me trying more to discern who has missed their dose and who has doubled it.

I also count Reaktor as one synth-many-engines.
And to extrapolate that idea, my computer is "one workstation-many components". So technically, my regular setup is only five pieces of hardware with a bunch of software stuffed inside them. (But I have eight controllers.)

machinesworking
KVRAF
1582 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:13 pm

^^^^ Same, I have more controllers than hardware by far! 7 controllers! I need to sell about four of them...

Deep Purple
KVRian

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm

I have more guitars than anything else, and I’m not selling any of them! (I actually have another one in transit to me right now...)
Sweet child in time...

deastman
KVRAF
7052 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:29 pm

If this is sick, I don’t want to be healthy!
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

Proxima4
KVRist
293 posts since 23 Oct, 2007 from Somerset UK

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 pm

It’s not sick, but, being honest how many do you ‘delve’ into and how many do you actually know ‘inside out’.

I have the same problem, as some Synths I use for patch recall and they sound great as they are, but I really want to get to know them better and mae patches from scratch and the such.

Out of all the Vsti I own only a couple really get used fully the rest have great patches that I change a bit.

Having said that, NI NKS is really helping get a bit more hands on with my Vst that have NKS functionality and without that function even if it was a great Vsti I probably wouldn’t be interested, ergo from now on it has to have NKS functionality or I’m not interested really.

If you have GAS questions, check NI NKS keyboards as you might be surprized to see your current gear elevate a notch through the NKS system. :tu:

martinjuenke
KVRAF
3292 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 pm

It‘s sick as a brick!
https://youtu.be/H-hnVeq9FTg

Flowing atmospheric music
http://www.sonoryth.bandcamp.com/music

Deep Purple
KVRian

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:25 pm

It's on the sick bed of Cuchulainn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcPIA6_zKX4
Sweet child in time...

BBFG#
KVRAF
5546 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Wondering how many here actually know what a 'brick' is/was.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
7842 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:23 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:03 pm
I believe that a synth you really hit it off with in terms of the components all adding up to an instrument, which is what we are talking about after all, is a worthwhile thing.
Sure, but it's a personal preference, not something that is quantifiably better (or worse) than something else.
I have dozens of soft synths, but I gravitate towards certain ones over and over, because I can quickly get certain sounds I want out of them. The absolute most extreme example would be Iris 2, Yes you could get similar hard filtering and odd sweeps out of other samplers with big chains of filters and a lot of work, but why would you want to?
Any chance you can share a patch or two? I bought Iris 2 when it was on sale recently but I've not had a chance to look at it yet. It's not something I'd have thought would be appreciated for it's filter so you have me intrigued. I also have no idea at all what you mean by "hard filtering" so it could help explain that, too.
your subjective opinions on the Moog filter
Every time you bring this up, I will correct you. My opinion is not subjective, the issue I have with the ladder filter is well known to everyone. People simply choose to ignore it or describe it as "character", instead of calling it what it is - unwanted behaviour. Nobody who closes a low-pass filter wants to also have the bottom end filtered when they turn up the resonance. If anything, you'd expect the resonance to boost the bottom end when you have the cutoff set low, not eliminate it.
They sound nothing alike, not even with the filters wide open and everything off.
So what? They can be used to make the same sounds, they don't need to sound exactly the same to perform the same tasks within a composition.

As I've said, you may get one or two signature sounds that, when you hear them in a piece of music, you know instantly what instrument was used, but if you listened to 100 hours of synth music from all manner of genres, you'd likely only have a handful of those instances of recognition. I doubt I'd have any because I don't listen to music like that. I know what some of my all-time favourite bands used, and I've seen a lot of them on stage, but I when I listen to their records I really have no idea which synth is doing what, because it's irrelevant. I'm pretty good at recognising "that Virus sound" and the TB303 has a distinctive(ly horrible) timbre but I don't know that I've ever heard a raw 303 on a recording, ever. I certainly don't think any Moog or Oberheim or ARP or Sequential or Roland or Korg or Yamaha synth is so distinctive that I can pick it in a song whenever it is used. 99% of the time it's just a "synth" sound.
Again, the big difference in opinion is simple, I think a certain synth has a character, and that makes it work well with you, and that's entirely up to the individual. I spent about 15 minutes with Sylenth and deleted it, I've used Zebra since 1.0. Others will argue the opposite.
Sylenth 1 is just a bad synth. It sounds OK but it ain't got a lot going for it. Never felt the need to even look at Zebra (I wouldn't spend that much on a softsynth).
Oh god, that's just silly, like somehow hardware is all the same, but magic coders all make super special oscs that have unique powers.
Fine then, find something that can do what Wasp does. I've been looking for several years now and found nothing.
The combination of slight differences in how the Wasp was coded for all the components of a synth make it unique, this is no different in hardware.
Thing is, 99% of what Wasp is I can do with anything else, it's the 1% that we use all the time that I can't find elsewhere, which is why it only gets used for a very specific thing and we use other synths for everything else. I don't consider Wasp an amazing, incredible must-have synth, it just happens to have a trick up its sleeve that we haven't found anywhere else. It took three versions to get there and with DUNE it evolved beyond it (DUNE originally started out as an update to Wasp). I view it as our secret ingredient, not the Holy Grail of synths.
Again where we're talking different languages, after a while I, and I'm sure you, know the strengths and weaknesses of a particular synth, and tend to reach for it etc. Even with using only one manufacturer An example U-He, I tend to reach for Hive or Zebra for evolving pattern type work and Diva for bass. No hard rules, but I wouldn't recommend Pigments for bass to someone, but it can of course do base. It's just that when you see a modulation system like that, where you can modulate FX etc. with the sort of medium not thick or thin oscs of Pigments, I'm gravitating heavily towards more industrial madness or soft pads than trying to do bass on a synth with only an OK low end.
Not how we work at all. I'll try any synth in any role. In fact, usually I will try four or five before I pick one, which is why I tend not to like synths that are too much effort. It is surprising how often the one we stick with isn't the first one I'd have thought of for the part. Most of the synths I've got have at least a few custom patches I've made for them when I've been getting to know them, and it's those that tend to guide me towards one or another but it's rare that I'd ever just pick one and stick with whatever I got out of it.
In general distortion on vocalists live was always a pain in the ass.
Two words - Behringer Shark - and all your problems with using distortion on vocals live will disappear. I'm not sure they still make it but it was an absolute revelation to me. We don't do distorted vocals much any more so I've not used mine for ages.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Acer Switch5 (Core i5, 8GB RAM, Win10), Yamaha AG06, Orion 64 bit, Roli Seaboard Rise 25, Ultranova, Rocket, Pulse 2, Analog Keys, MicroMonsta, Uno, Skulpt.

glokraw
KVRAF
6752 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 am

Proxima4 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 pm
It’s not sick, but, being honest how many do you ‘delve’ into and how many do you actually know ‘inside out’.
Not everyone wants, or has time to know the inside out.
I have 20 synths I only use 1 preset from. Not by design,
it's just how things fell out. And I'm just one guy.
There is only so much I can do, hopefully those
in the will shall have more time with all this stuff.
When I get the few hardware things here fully integrated,
there will be even less time for the inside out of the software.
Blame the great preset designers, who I could not better
in any reasonable use of my time. If I was 18 or 20
years old, and had a brain, I might get involved in NKS.
U-he got in, that says a lot to me.
Cheers

Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2248 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:45 am

machinesworking wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:13 pm
^^^^ Same, I have more controllers than hardware by far! 7 controllers! I need to sell about four of them...
Which do you want to sell? I have only a bit more than 20, and still some on my wish list...
Certainly its not crazy to have more than 20 controllers accompanied by more than 20 synth plug-ins.
To have more than 20 hardware synths is crazy... As well as having 20 DAWs...
But artists have to be crazy anyway...

bmanic
KVRAF
8338 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:57 am

I have way more than 20.. I'm definitely sick.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”