Additive Synthesis Synth Other Than Sine Waves?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
wagtunes
KVRAF
15198 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:40 am

I don't know why I just thought of this now but has anybody made an additive synthesis synth where each partial can be something other than a sine wave? Even better, where each partial can be a custom wave of your own making.

Anything out there like that?

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
1547 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Re: Additive Synthesis Synth Other Than Sine Waves?

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:57 am

Image line sytrus allows some basic shaping for each partial, but the individuals partials amplitude can not be modulated over time .

Why would you want anything other then sine waves for an additive synth ?
Stacking partials that have overtones becomes a sonic mess pretty fast
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

functionform
KVRist
317 posts since 13 May, 2017 from Virginia

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:58 am

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... di&id=2469
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... ut&id=1668

Harmonaut is more for fun, hah. Saltine (ADHDidi) imo made very interesting synths, but really didn't prioritize speed of usage enough.

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:02 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:57 am
Image line sytrus allows some basic shaping for each partial, but the individuals partials amplitude can not be modulated over time .

Why would you want anything other then sine waves for an additive synth ?
Stacking partials that have overtones becomes a sonic mess pretty fast
Sonic mess. Precisely. That's what I'm looking for. Basic additive synthesis is to clean and dull for me, which is why I hardly ever use it. I might as well just pull up a Hammond B3 and use that.

functionform
KVRist

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:10 am

It's a gui problem fundamentally imo. How do you give the user access to a bazillion partials, and then some way to give them all life?

For example, I want to take all odd harmonics less than the 12, and make them react differently to velocity and group them by envelope. Or maybe I want multiples of three harmonics, from starting on 8 for x total number and make their respective levels a parabolic shape.

I think your synth would start look like a bunch of database queries, buts thats the only way I can see to make an additive synth powerful enough for users to get to the nature of its strength.

I've fought with the same thing over the years since I've always like additives. I had a kawai k5000 and that think took forever to program.

Jbravo
KVRian
1359 posts since 20 May, 2002 from Cambridge, UK

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:12 am

isn't every wave form ultimately made from sine waves?

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:19 am

Jbravo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:12 am
isn't every wave form ultimately made from sine waves?
Yes, but additive synths have a limit to the number of partials. With being able to have custom waves, you're essentially shoving multiple partials into one slot. That's the difference. The sounds you could create would be infinite in nature.

Anyway, it's clear what I'm looking for doesn't exist and probably never will so I might as well just lock this up.

functionform
KVRist

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 am

ADHDidi above does!

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
1547 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 am

What you are looking for exists in every additive synth
An additive synth has a envelope , on which resides multiple breakpoints .
Let's call these breakpoints a,b,c,d etc...
Each breakpoints hass acces to (hundreds /thousands ) of partials , the envelope smoothly transitions from point a to b to c ..
So every kind of waveform is possible to create for every breakpoint since you have acces to thousands of partials and it's phase for each breakpoint .
Looks like you haven't delve into or understand additive synthesis at all , yet alread have made up your mind.
Your assumming a breakpoint is a sine wave only , it's not
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

wagtunes
KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 am
What you are looking for exists in every additive synth
An additive synth has a envelope , on which resides multiple breakpoints .
Let's call these breakpoints a,b,c,d etc...
Each breakpoints hass acces to (hundreds /thousands ) of partials , the envelope smoothly transitions from point a to b to c ..
So every kind of waveform is possible to create for every breakpoint since you have acces to thousands of partials and it's phase for each breakpoint .
Looks like you haven't delve into or understand additive synthesis at all , yet alread have made up your mind.
Your assumming a breakpoint is a sine wave only , it's not
You're sure making a lot of assumptions about my knowledge of additive synthesis. That's okay. That's the KVR way. I'm well aware of what you said. It still doesn't give me what I am looking for.

But I'm not turning this thread into yet another shit storm because people here have to be insulting assholes so I'm locking this up.

Return to “Instruments”