Sitarnce - first trance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
sjm
KVRAF
1821 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:27 am

Sounds great!

Did I just miss it, or have you forgotten to add a female vox sample in your attempt to check off all the items on the tarnce prerequisites checklist? You got the ethnic instrument, 4 to the floor etc.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

Passing Bye
KVRian
602 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Re: Sitarnce - first trance

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 am

This is some proper old school goa trance, you did really great job, it captures the essence of it, would work really great on the floor of some retro goa party for sure.

Morgaxx
KVRist
440 posts since 29 Feb, 2004 from Toronto

Post Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm

seismic1 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:43 pm
It's pretty good for a first attempt. Lots of the expected sonic elements are here, and the track has the requisite breakdown/drop. It reminded me of Shpongle in places, and not only for the sitar.

Good work :)
Thank you. I went through an all things Simon Posford phase some years back. If only a little of his magic made it into my brain id be happy.
Wopelka wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:37 am
I have no expertise in trance but I like the way the track evolve. I like the timbres used, especially the sitar. I was also expecting more power and energy from the bass and drums combo.
Glad you liked it. I;m thinking on the kick bass thing. As I had them originally they seemed to distract from the build up as it was. Thank you.
sjm wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:27 am
Sounds great!

Did I just miss it, or have you forgotten to add a female vox sample in your attempt to check off all the items on the tarnce prerequisites checklist? You got the ethnic instrument, 4 to the floor etc.
Ha, he said 'tarnce'. No dialog or actual singing samples. There are some female ooohs n ahhhs gated and stretched etc. Thanks for listening :)
Passing Bye wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 am
This is some proper old school goa trance, you did really great job, it captures the essence of it, would work really great on the floor of some retro goa party for sure.
Thank you so much :D Maybe my age is showing a little, what with all the retro comments 8)

As a note, there is also a Tamboura drone, Tablas and a few Sarod strummy bits along with the Sitar. Damn Sitar, thinks its so cool all the time. Again, thanks folks!
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

Passing Bye
KVRian

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 am

Morgaxx wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm
Thank you so much :D Maybe my age is showing a little, what with all the retro comments 8)
Hehe, could be, but also could be that todays trance is all the same, over polished and lacks true essence, remember this stuff from the compilations like Goa Head, that's my first introduction to the genre, there was that raw emotion in it.

Morgaxx
KVRist
440 posts since 29 Feb, 2004 from Toronto

Post Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 am

Passing Bye wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 am
Morgaxx wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:34 pm
Hehe, could be, but also could be that todays trance is all the same, over polished and lacks true essence, remember this stuff from the compilations like Goa Head, that's my first introduction to the genre, there was that raw emotion in it.
You may have a point there. There seems to be a drive to deliver sonic precision over soul sometimes. For my track, I had more fun playing in all the parts than being concerned with overall sheen on the music. Holding down long arpeggiated chords and playing with two leads until I get a decent take. I even play in the drums, simple as they are. It all helps me to feel the essence as you say.

Perhaps it is the shift from non computer based musicians to musicians that have only created using a computer. Above I mentioned Simon Posford. Here is, I think, an example of this shift. He brings the soul of actual performance to his electronic music.
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

Passing Bye
KVRian

Post Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:30 am

Spot on!

Return to “Music Cafe”