Using a Tascam Portastudio as a live performance machine w/ Alessandro Cortini

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bet lots of BOC fans are gonna run out and drive the prices of these things up after seeing this. :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11BP4Pe8iYk
:borg:

wow, what mind numbing drivel :bang:

AnX wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:39 am wow, what mind numbing drivel :bang:
Not sure what's so mind-numbing about it, it's just a different way of working. I think it's kind of interesting.
:borg:

well, the music itself was mind numbing drivel (imo)

and the 'way of working' seemed a but ridiculous when all he is really doing is tweaking the pitch speed here and there

he could easily have done everything else on the laptop (without losing quality, and thats what tape does. It doesnt add warmth or any other mythical bullshit terms ppl like to use)

so yeah, not my bag.

Not my handbag either. What's the fn point?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

These things have huge limitations, but they force you to commit and actually get things done. That said, I'd never go back. I still have my 424.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I bet lots of BOC fans are gonna run out and drive the prices of these things up after seeing this.
Didnt do 'Dont Fear the Reaper'. BOC fail.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Needs more cowbell
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Bombadil wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:02 am These things have huge limitations, but they force you to commit and actually get things done. That said, I'd never go back. I still have my 424.

Way back when..... I bought a pair of Roland VS880 when they first came out. I had a professional studio. No one could comprehend the value of recording dry tracks or ITB effects or stacking virutal tracks for alternate takes/ punch ins. They became the cornerstone of my studio. While I too had a lot of fun recording and recorded more of myself on my 4track cassette. I'd never use it in a professional setting ever again.
Last edited by tapper mike on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I wouldn't use a Roland VS880 in a pro setting, either. Still have my 880EX, but considering what I paid for it, and what I'd get for it now, no point in selling it. Also the CD-RW for the thing was A) notoriously slow, and B) didn't last long. I don't know if replacement burners are even possible anymore.

With the Porta424, we had to commit FX to tape as we went along. Of course, being newbies with FX racks (Alesis Multiverb, or something), which we had to rent, we overdid the reverb.

I am just starting to learn to work more efficiently in Logic, and ignore the fact that I have an infinite variety of noises I can make with it.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

These days, I wouldn't either. 1996 was a long time ago.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

My acquiring my 880EX coincided with me getting online, 20 years, last October. I think the recorder and CD-RW together with taxes, was about $3,700 CAD. Insane.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Yeah and if you go back only a few short years before that... 1988 CD burners were
$20,000 However in order to actually record on them it would run $100,000

I used to take my Tascam 244 out to gigs (in the 90s) and do live remixes. I still have it, but the tape section doesn't work anymore as the rubber band has perished.

Return to “Production Techniques”