How much have you spent on Kontakt libraries?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

How much have you spent on Kontakt libraries?

Over $5000
22%
Over $2500
9%
Over $1000
17%
Over $100
21%
I make my own instruments
3%
I just use free libraries
11%
I don't use Kontakt
18%

Total votes: 113

RELATED
PRODUCTS

rlared wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:32 pm
thejonsolo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:20 pm Ha I was looking for the over $20k option. It is obscene what a quest for the ultimate pan flute sound will do to you.
Man just learn to play the flute
or make a passing flute sound with a sine wave
on any synth that no one will give a crap if it is real
or not in your song. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

but seriously, people with gigs and gigs of sample libraries make me wonder if they
try to take their entire house belongings with them when they travel....even to the store down the street.

There's no right or wrong here, nothing about which to feel smug or superior.
You pays yer money, you makes yer choice.
My wife loves okra, it makes me want to vomit. So it is with plugins.
Some sounds are not so easy to recreate.
Some people can't be bothered to do the research.
I use Apocalypse Elements drums from SoundIron - maybe I could find similar percussion for free, but I think the $99 I spent on it was worth it. Same goes for Shreddage, Olympus Elements and The Ladies (cheap version).

layzer wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:07 pm but seriously, people with gigs and gigs of sample libraries make me wonder if they
try to take their entire house belongings with them when they travel....even to the store down the street.
No need to wonder :). There's a time and place for tools like that, and comments like this ^ seem a bit odd, considering. As in, it's very realistic someone uses a different approach from someone else, and different types of work may potentially need different tools. It's all fine. I think the whole "...make me wonder" type of commentary only tries to downplay some particular way of working in music (instead of honestly being puzzled by there being different approaches around).

Googly Smythe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:24 pm There's no right or wrong here, nothing about which to feel smug or superior.
:tu:

right or wrong, it seems kind if dumb to spend lots of money these days to make a song
that only you and a few others will hear and only you will know you used a 500gb flute
in it..
but hey its YOUR money..... hoard away.

layzer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:07 am right or wrong, it seems kind if dumb to spend lots of money these days to make a song
that only you and a few others will hear and only you will know you used a 500gb flute
in it..
In addition to the assumption that music hobbyists in ^ that group couldn't possibly need sample libraries for doing something like orchestral replicas just for the sheer fun of it (either of their own original works or just recreating some classics, that's a hobby too!) ... this leaves out everyone else than the ones who "make a song that only a few others will hear." Quite many people outside of that description even here on KVR, I imagine.

And you really do know all this ;). It's just downplaying a particular musical toolset for no good reason.

Guenon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:16 am
layzer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:07 am right or wrong, it seems kind if dumb to spend lots of money these days to make a song
in it..
In addition to the assumption that music hobbyists in ^ that group couldn't possibly need sample libraries for doing something like orchestral replicas just for the sheer fun of it (either of their own original works or just recreating some classics, that's a hobby too!) ... this leaves out everyone else than the ones who "make a song that only a few others will hear." Quite many people outside of that description even here on KVR, I imagine.

And you really do know all this ;). It's just downplaying a particular musical toolset for no good reason.
its trying to unbrainwash the masses. call it whatever you want, though.

layzer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:32 amits trying to unbrainwash the masses. call it whatever you want, though.
It's like any other "you don't really need [x] in order to do [y].... except.... when you actually do need it, my bad" type of commentary that is around, on pretty much any creative field :D, and it usually just stems from something else than honestly wanting to "unbrainwash" anyone. Constructive comments on a case to case basis, "oh, for this kind of thing you don't necessarily need [this and this], maybe do it like this instead, see?" is nice constructive input. "I don't get why anyone would buy [this and this], look how I'm not buying it, sheesh, how dumb can all those people be?" not that much.

I have only spent a few hundred I suppose. TBH, I don't like using the work of others,
be it presets, (sound design) samples or whatever. Unless it's samples I could never acquire otherwise,
or some really cool design (sonicouture), I am not likely going to buy any more libraries.

Yeah Layzer I gotta agree with the others, I'm not quite following your logic. Like having your music listened to by a lot of people magically crosses a threshold of how much is ok to spend on instruments? Is there some sort of documented scale that I should be aware of? :)

BBFG# wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:09 pmDue to how their servers connect in the last three years, I've all but stopped using it and have been much happier for the most part by replacing it with HALion 6. Since then, I've found I actually only open Kontakt up to use a couple of third party libraries... And even that is starting to fade.
Can you explain what you mean by the first sentence above? I don't notice the Kontakt Player connecting to anything.
jancivil wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 pm
BBFG# wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:09 pm Not nearly the "must-have" as so many tout.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good plugin, just not as necessary as the flock insists it is. There are cheaper and as effective ways to do what you want., I've found I actually only open Kontakt up to use a couple of third party libraries... And even that is starting to fade.
Speak for yourself. You're not 'so many' and you don't know from your 'you don't need' particularly.
BBFG gave us a reasoned argument and you've responded with something that doesn't even make sense. If you feel Kontakt is so irreplaceable, how about showing us why instead of sprouting pointless gibberish?

I never approached Kontakt as an instrument in itself, installing the Player was a consequence of desperately wanting Output's Substance. Since we also bought into Komplete, I now have plenty of other content for it but I don't use it for anything except Substance. I either use Orion's Sampler or Zampler for most other things. I don't think I could justify the expense of the full version of Kontakt, though, but Substance is something I would never want to be without.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Bones: Their servers are picky. Under both Service Center and Access, they wouldn't connect with my satellite or WiFi at all. Even our FiOs was a crap shoot. (Maybe 3 out of 10x). DSL is probably at least better than half the time.

Although, when doing a direct download through a regular browser, they all work 9 out of 10x.

jancivil: I was speaking for myself, and I hear both sides all the time. Seems to be 'many' on both.

It was the changes in their mode of operation that got me to decrease using it. And then I found I actually had more time to play and record without it. I spent more time maintaining it then playing it.

Again, not saying it's bad, just not sure of its worth for me anymore.

Im happy with the few hundred Ive spent on sample libraries for Kontakt. Most are from small developers who like to do weird things that no one ever thinks about or is with equipment I wouldve never had the oppurtunity to use. Sure, I could hammer away at it myself, but my goal is to write music not make sounds fron scratch.

Through the years Ive learned how to make my own sounds, but Im actually able to use that knowledge towards making the sample libraries sound more interesting. Im at a point now where I have enough so new samples arent my thing, just the manipulation of the good ones.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Yeah, nothing wrong with manipulating samples. I did that exclusively until I got myself
good field recorder. A high quality portable recorder is the tits btw, now I can sample
everything, even straight off the TV sounds surprisingly excellent.

Return to “Instruments”