SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3 SampleTank 4 SampleTank 4 MAX SampleTank 4 SE SampleTank Custom Shop

Hellfog wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:45 pm I just realized my problem has to with my CMI uf80 controller, play on a virtual midi keyboard or my Kurzweil no problem.

Anyone knows what problem is with Uf80 and sampletank?
Wow that triggered something in my old brain, though I can't remember exactly what it is called I know there was a proprietary functionality on some Yamaha keyboards that had caused issues in some virtual instruments/plugins. I wonder if the CMI built-in proprietary tech (I think it is called U-CONTROL or something similar - ah, looked it up it is U-CTRL) is confusing SampleTank 4 in some way? If this may be the case and if there is a way to temporarily disable that, I'd recommend trying that. Not the optimal solution if you use this U-CTRL functionality but for troubleshooting purposes it is worth a shot.

Edit - looks like a nice controller, by the way.

MikeCallon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:36 pm
Burillo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:22 pm for me, there are two main circumstances where crashes happen. i'm on Windows 10, and using REAPER.

scenario 1: switch to folder mode in the library, and go to SampleTank 4 -> Guitars -> Electric -> Black LP, and start going patch by patch. at some point SampleTank will crash on switching to a new patch. rinse and repeat until it happens.

scenario 2: load four instances of SampleTank 4 VST3 in REAPER: instant crash.
It's not Reaper specific - this happens in Standalone for me on Windows 10. Load the 'Black LP Full Keyswitch' preset, play a few notes, load the 'Black LP Powerchords KS' preset, instacrash playing the first note :x

Can anyone else on Windows 10 replicate this exact scenario in Standalone ?
Yes, same here (instant crash). I posted something similar before (Black LP and Red Strat Full). When I load these presets in Studio One, no sound is played any more. Interesting though loaded ST3 sounds do work while ST4 sounds don't once this problem has occurred.

I tested the new updates with my ST4 MAX today, and was able to get an instant crash in just a few moments with the standalone version.

So there was no fix for my crashes with the latest updates. :help:

Running Windows 10 Pro.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:33 pm
Burillo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:38 pm
Burillo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:34 pm IK support just basically told me to "try using one instance of SampleTank". seriously?
I believe that would be meant to test multiout vs multi instance in an isolated test, not as a full solution. I know directly that they are happy to have you reporting back with helpful information and I'm sure they'll continue to go forward with you on this (as it has been specifically mentioned that the devs are concurrently looking at your issue with Reaper + Windows 10 + multiple instances) and know that this isn't meant as a proposed total solution.

Edit - also please send me your ticket number so I can have that checked out as it seems that's not likely the way it was communicated to you for whatever reason and we'll take care of that too.
no Peter, here's a direct quote from the ticket:
Please note, inserting 2 instances does take up considerable amount of CPU/HD/RAM usage. This is why we have 16 PARTS in SampleTank. You can insert up to 16 instruments. If you have a 2nd instance, it's up to 32 PARTS.
i don't know what it sounds like to you, but to me this sounds like 1) the support person didn't actually watch the video that i've provided, or else they would notice that i didn't load any parts at all - all instances were empty, and 2) this sounds like an excuse, a sort of "oh, but you see, it's your own fault, because 2 instances of SampleTank can load up to 32 parts!", with the underlying implication being that i'm not supposed to load multiple instances of SampleTank.

you know what else that message lacked? any kind of assurance that this is a known bug, or that "we'll look into it", or some other way to tell me that they take this issue seriously, as opposed to just flat out telling me to use a single instance. i've just about held out from flat out telling the support person to go fsck themselves, but i did strongly indicate that i expect this issue to be taken seriously, and that loading 3 EMPTY instances on a 32GB system should not result in an "out-of-memory" error when i can load a 10GB drumkit in BFD3 and a bunch of orchestral libraries concurrently and not experience any issues whatsoever.

this is ticket #851762, if you're interested.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Taking care. Again, thanks for providing this.
by the way, Peter, if you have intervened there, it certainly hadn't had any effect. i still did not get any sort of confirmation that this problem being taken seriously, and will be fixed in the upcoming update. instead, the support person has already tried to imply that i should "set up my system better" (as in, enable page file), and refuses to acknowledge that it is indeed SampleTank's gargantuan memory requirements that are at issue here. i honestly don't want to verbally abuse anyone, however i quickly lose patience whenever i feel am being bullshitted.

here is my expectation of our conversation:
me: hey, SampleTank crashes if i load more than three instances of it
support: thanks for your report, we will look into it
support [later]: we can confirm the issue, we are aware of it and are working on it
me: yay, looking forward to next update
or, maybe:
support [later]: we cannot reproduce the issue on our end, let's troubleshoot.
me: OK, here's my system settings, here's a few more videos, here's what happens when i do X...
<...a few days later...>
support: we can confirm the issue, we are aware of it and are working on it
here's what actually went down:
support: SampleTank uses a lot of memory, that's why we allow for 16 parts per instance. use a single instance.
me: wtf? how about you fix your memory usage?
support: your computer is configured incorrectly. try increasing your total virtual memory to 64GB.
me: wtf? how about you fix your memory usage? here, look at the video, SampleTank uses 7 frikkin gigabytes per instance, and this memory isn't even shared between instances!
support: everything crashes because you don't have enough memory. why wouldn't you reconfigure your computer?
me: wtf? how about you fix your fscking memory usage?!
this is ridiculous and is exactly the wrong attitude for tech support.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Spanking Customers is what samplespank does best! IKM even like spanking the very own problems they create! They be spanking samples, customers, and problems! So much spanking going on around these parts :P
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Burillo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:33 pm
Burillo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:38 pm
Burillo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:34 pm IK support just basically told me to "try using one instance of SampleTank". seriously?
I believe that would be meant to test multiout vs multi instance in an isolated test, not as a full solution. I know directly that they are happy to have you reporting back with helpful information and I'm sure they'll continue to go forward with you on this (as it has been specifically mentioned that the devs are concurrently looking at your issue with Reaper + Windows 10 + multiple instances) and know that this isn't meant as a proposed total solution.

Edit - also please send me your ticket number so I can have that checked out as it seems that's not likely the way it was communicated to you for whatever reason and we'll take care of that too.
no Peter, here's a direct quote from the ticket:
Please note, inserting 2 instances does take up considerable amount of CPU/HD/RAM usage. This is why we have 16 PARTS in SampleTank. You can insert up to 16 instruments. If you have a 2nd instance, it's up to 32 PARTS.
i don't know what it sounds like to you, but to me this sounds like 1) the support person didn't actually watch the video that i've provided, or else they would notice that i didn't load any parts at all - all instances were empty, and 2) this sounds like an excuse, a sort of "oh, but you see, it's your own fault, because 2 instances of SampleTank can load up to 32 parts!", with the underlying implication being that i'm not supposed to load multiple instances of SampleTank.

you know what else that message lacked? any kind of assurance that this is a known bug, or that "we'll look into it", or some other way to tell me that they take this issue seriously, as opposed to just flat out telling me to use a single instance. i've just about held out from flat out telling the support person to go fsck themselves, but i did strongly indicate that i expect this issue to be taken seriously, and that loading 3 EMPTY instances on a 32GB system should not result in an "out-of-memory" error when i can load a 10GB drumkit in BFD3 and a bunch of orchestral libraries concurrently and not experience any issues whatsoever.

this is ticket #851762, if you're interested.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. Taking care. Again, thanks for providing this.
by the way, Peter, if you have intervened there, it certainly hadn't had any effect. i still did not get any sort of confirmation that this problem being taken seriously, and will be fixed in the upcoming update. instead, the support person has already tried to imply that i should "set up my system better" (as in, enable page file), and refuses to acknowledge that it is indeed SampleTank's gargantuan memory requirements that are at issue here. i honestly don't want to verbally abuse anyone, however i quickly lose patience whenever i feel am being bullshitted.

here is my expectation of our conversation:
support [later]: we can confirm the issue, we are aware of it and are working on it
or, maybe:
support [later]: we cannot reproduce the issue on our end, let's troubleshoot.
me: OK, here's my system settings, here's a few more videos, here's what happens when i do X...
<...a few days later...>
support: we can confirm the issue, we are aware of it and are working on it
here's what actually went down:
support: SampleTank uses a lot of memory, that's why we allow for 16 parts per instance. use a single instance.
me: wtf? how about you fix your memory usage?
support: your computer is configured incorrectly. try increasing your total virtual memory to 64GB.
me: wtf? how about you fix your memory usage? here, look at the video, SampleTank uses 7 frikkin gigabytes per instance, and this memory isn't even shared between instances!
support: everything crashes because you don't have enough memory. why wouldn't you reconfigure your computer?
me: wtf? how about you fix your fscking memory usage?!
this is ridiculous and is exactly the wrong attitude for tech support.
when i read this , why on the IKM own ST4 Specs Page are written this when the IKM Support suggest such things to customer ??? do they think that every customer does not have any idea about Computer and Software ? :

SampleTank is a 64-bit application. Requires a 64 bit CPU and Operating System.

Windows® (64-bits)

Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 (Intel Core i5 suggested), 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested), Windows® 7 or later. 40 GB (SampleTank 4 SE), 128 GB (SampleTank 4), 300 GB (SampleTank 4 MAX) of hard drive space.
Requires an ASIO compatible sound card.
Requires an OpenGL 2 compatible graphics adapter.
Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): VST 2, VST 3, AAX.

this Specs should be changed immediately .....

I installed the new content and program updates today.

___________________________________________________________________________________

SampleTank 4 -
Library: SampleTank 3
Categories: Guitar
Instruments: "Chords Glow", "Chorus Arpeggios", "Chorus fine arp"

These do not sound correct at all - above Ab3. The same presets sound as intended across the whole keyboard in ST3.

Can anybody confirm this on their installation?
____________________________________________________________________________________

Also, Miroslav Philharmonik 2 (full, not SE): "3 English Horns Staccato" is horribly out of tune. Same thing in ST3, and MP2 programs. It is NOT out of tune in the SE version. I mentioned this in a ticket response I've not heard back from...

Any confirmation on that one?
____________________________________________________________________________________

Still crashing with (Multis and singles mixed):
Aliens and Money
Widechimes
Windchimes (ST4, there's another instrument by same name)
Woodblock
Noises
Light Cheese
Climax Groove
White Sequence
Perpetua
Ritmi
Technicality
Noisy FM
Animas
Bacterium
Nagging

Still crashing (as others are) when switching from Black LP Full KS to Red Strat Full KS (or vice versa)

Nothing has changed in regard to the above crashing. I was able to repair any "unable to load" errors I had, only 2 or 3 that I recall.

I would say that my install of ST4 Max is at about 95% good, but feel very nervous and cautious at the same time. I am also OCD about things that are not 99.9%...

I love so many of the sounds and instruments, and I know how powerful a tool this can be. But we all need this to be rock solid in stability, and not at the expense of our creative use of time.

I have to think that the method of installation has a lot to do with the issues most are having. Since I have the USB version, I can't blame the download delivery. I definitely did not have the smoothest installation, despite taking all caution and care to get it right.

I have actually downloaded the whole thing too, since I may end up to reinstall the whole deal for the last 5% of my sanity. That is going to be a lot more days and hours - to start from scratch...

Somebody from IK, PLEASE call Toontrack and license their delivery/installation/update system?!

I can't install miroslav philharmonik 2 ce part 1, i get the error The miroslav philharmonik 2 ce sound content installation failed. Unable to copy the instruments. Anyone else had this issue?

Edit - None of the extra drum sets work either, They installed but when i click on them there empty.

Edit - Sorted it i hadn't installed sound library update 1.3
Last edited by griffin on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

I think this one looks pretty cool too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ShawnMH wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:04 am I installed the new content and program updates today.

___________________________________________________________________________________

SampleTank 4 -
Library: SampleTank 3
Categories: Guitar
Instruments: "Chords Glow", "Chorus Arpeggios", "Chorus fine arp"

These do not sound correct at all - above Ab3. The same presets sound as intended across the whole keyboard in ST3.

Can anybody confirm this on their installation?
Confirmed - these patches are wonked as heck!
ShawnMH wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:04 am Also, Miroslav Philharmonik 2 (full, not SE): "3 English Horns Staccato" is horribly out of tune. Same thing in ST3, and MP2 programs. It is NOT out of tune in the SE version. I mentioned this in a ticket response I've not heard back from...

Any confirmation on that one?

Still crashing with (Multis and singles mixed):
Aliens and Money
Widechimes
Windchimes (ST4, there's another instrument by same name)
Woodblock
Noises
Light Cheese
Climax Groove
White Sequence
Perpetua
Ritmi
Technicality
Noisy FM
Animas
Bacterium
Nagging
Confirmed - ST4 CTD FL Studio 20 when loading Aliens and Money, Windchimes, Woodblock. I am not testing the rest as I assume they are funked too.
ShawnMH wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:04 am Still crashing (as others are) when switching from Black LP Full KS to Red Strat Full KS (or vice versa)
Confirmed - No CTD upon loading Red Strat Full KS but no sound plays and notes stuck on Keys. FL Studio message that plugin crashed.

What the heck is going on?

Yeah a lot of the ST3 content is borked for tuning and weird sample playback.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

@ ShawnMH : I can also confirm those same patches crash on my W10 system. ST4 v4.03

I installed 4.03 and sound content update. CPU is better
Current project, Has Neil Peart drums,Rick bass pick dir, 4 Black LP sustain,Red strat sustainRock 4
organ,Cpu sometime hits 60%. Xeon 5670,16 GB ram,Focusrite 6i6 gen 2 1024 buffers.
but in settings under the sound content tab it shows 2 F:/St4 content folders.
In windows explorer, there is on ly 1 ST4 sound content folder on the F drive.

Whats a crap plug in, go for Omnisphere 2.6 will blow your mine and I open 24 instances and my CPU still on 35%....hahaha SAMPLETANK 4 is a toy dude....horrible. Cheers

quilys wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:36 am Whats a crap plug in, go for Omnisphere 2.6 will blow your mine and I open 24 instances and my CPU still on 35%....hahaha SAMPLETANK 4 is a toy dude....horrible. Cheers
2.6 is not out yet.

Return to “Instruments”