Medieval Castles/Showreel - Epic Composition

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Qf_VZoys8

What do you think of my channel trailer/showreel?

Why no comments?

Its pretty good.
For a large portion of it you are lacking the lower bass notes, thats why its sounds a bit thin.
I like the canon firing to end the piece, that was nice. :tu:

You have some brass, OK, but there's no top line woodwinds. You have to have variety. The ominous bell got tiring quickly.

Graphically, I think the horse and knight are slightly lame. The horse looks strong and the knight looks weak with a sword thats not as imposing as it should be.

Hope this is helpful. Didn't want to be too critical... but wanted to give constructive feedback.

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.375

Comments: Why no comments? Not much to comment on. Piece never develops. It's basically a 10 second loop that doesn't get started until the 1 minute mark and then, before you know it, it's over. Needs a lot more development. Mix is decent. Performance is even pretty good. But musically, it suffers from the same thing that 90% of the stuff in this forum suffers from. Somebody comes up with what's essentially a 10 second idea and repeat it over and over and over.

Makes me seriously wonder how many people here actually know how to compose music?

Now, don't you wish I didn't comment?

Just an extra note - you may find help on Youtube with a guy called Mike Verta. His feedback sessions are very helpful. Especially check out where he covers Horizontal and Vertical development.
His Unleashed episodes are terrific:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +unleashed

wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:28 am Comments: Why no comments? Not much to comment on. Piece never develops. It's basically a 10 second loop that doesn't get started until the 1 minute mark and then, before you know it, it's over. Needs a lot more development. Mix is decent. Performance is even pretty good. But musically, it suffers from the same thing that 90% of the stuff in this forum suffers from. Somebody comes up with what's essentially a 10 second idea and repeat it over and over and over.
Makes me seriously wonder how many people here actually know how to compose music?
:D

wagtunes wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:28 am My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 9
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.375

Comments: Why no comments? Not much to comment on. Piece never develops. It's basically a 10 second loop that doesn't get started until the 1 minute mark and then, before you know it, it's over. Needs a lot more development. Mix is decent. Performance is even pretty good. But musically, it suffers from the same thing that 90% of the stuff in this forum suffers from. Somebody comes up with what's essentially a 10 second idea and repeat it over and over and over.

Thanks alot. Why should I wish you didn't comment? I'm happy for your comment, I want constructive, critical feedback.

I can't even create 1 seconds graphic, so maybe you shouldn't take my comments for that part of the video seriously.

Graphic:
1) That 0:38 scene looked a bit out of character. It looked very modern...like a pic you can take in San Francisco bay right now.

2) What is the main theme here? To me it looks like you're setting up the mood for war.

Music:
1) Yes, that Bell was definitely over-used. It's drawing too much attention. It keeps saying I'm here I'm here. I'd say it's the right sound for this track. It does make that Ostinato pattern less repetitive and enhances that epic quality, but you relied too much on it.

2) That first section could use a little variation.

3) Why Kyrie? This is just a question.

Overall, I liked it very much so. I'd say you got the structure and everything pretty good. To use it as a showreel for a more serious application? Maybe it's not ready to be used for that purpose just yet.

it needed less Medieval bell, and more wag bell :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Return to “Music Cafe”