POLL : Is 32-bit Plugins support/availability still required today (for upcoming products) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Is 32-bit Plugins support/availability still required today (for upcoming products) ?

YES - I use a 32-bit Operating System , so I can use 32-bit plugins ONLY
11%
NO - I use a 64-bit Operating System , so I'm not restricted to use 32-bit plugins (I can use both 32-bit and 64-bit plugins)
89%

Total votes: 216

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's make it simple...

I'm seriously thinking about the possibility to cut-down the 32-bit version for my LittleOne and upcoming plugins.

They will be available exclusively as 64-bit multiformat plugins for Win/macOS - as VST2, VST3, AU.

This is basically in line with other developers, discarding the good, old, legacy 32-bit ecosystem.

So... there's anybody who can give me a good reason to stop moving forward with this idea I have?

(It's always better to ask, before making big changes :))

Edit : I added a POLL !
Last edited by xhunaudio on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

seriously? lol
i love xp and 32bit vsts
i think there was a pol
about what os the forum uses
and xp was like 3% of the votes.
and i'm guessing most of the
reply's here will be, trash
xp and x32.

edit: this will be my only post
in this thread, not even going to
waste any typing to people
calling me a ludite, anti-teknology
or whatever the fk. :party:

edit2:
and reading over the comments i see all the forum teknology experts
blabbing about moving on, 32bit is dead yadda yadda.
that the tool has greater importance than the craftsman himself.
EnergyXT2 is my tool. its 32bit only. but then the damn program
is only a hair over 1mb ffs. but its fast and it does everything i need
to make my shitty music.
i found what works for me, you keep your
64bit, 128bit 5000bit search going on and on.
Last edited by layzer on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Well I know one person who will come along any second and say he prefers 32 bit Plugins DAW/Hosts.

EDIT: Yep there he is.....typed faster than I did......... :lol:

But many of us who are living in the now have long since stopped using 32 bit anything. So for us any time spent on maintaining old 32 bit versions is time not spent on developing modern 64 bit versions.

Let 32 bit die........ :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why would someone love a 32-bit or 64-bit system? That's just silly. And, it's even more silly to prefer a system which can handle less memory, and can't run faster apps.

I don't love 32-bit plugins, but as some of my essential plugins for playing live are existing only as 32-bit versions, I still use a 32-bit host for this purpose.

I'm still using Opcode Studio Vision on my Macintosh II
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Does it run in Sheepshaver?
Well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAlYj2JGO4

Those who still run 32-bit could switch to Bitwig. It is 64-bit and loads 32-bit as well... (And does not crash if your plug-in crashes...)

It seems it's time to say goodbye to the 32-bit support for future products.

All legacy 32-bit plugins will always be supported using bridging, but concerning new products, that's another story :)
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

xhunaudio wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:18 pm It seems it's time to say goodbye to the 32-bit support for future products.

All legacy 32-bit plugins will always be supported using bridging, but concerning new products, that's another story :)
Any chance of a 64-bit update for IronAxe?

no

xhunaudio wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:18 pm It seems it's time to say goodbye to the 32-bit support for future products.

I don't think you'll regret it, TBH. Maybe you have statistics about how many people actually download the 32-bit and how many download the 64-bit installer from your site.

Love 32bit? I dont know if its a culturar barrier or i take word Love as a way too strong meaning (like you think every day how amazing is 32bit)... but how can anyone love anything about 32bit when it has no advantages and on the contrary it adds limitations (os can alone use max 4gb ram). Its like i would say "ow i f love to have no hands no legs and no dick" :-D well you get the point.

Exactly.

It's like saying "I love 2 GHz CPU's", when there's 3 GHz CPU's available.

There are plenty of folks who have found something that worked for them and stuck with it, and more power to them! There is still a market for those guys but, I’m not sure how much of a growth market it is. I suppose it’s a bottom line matter. Does it cost more to to offer and continue to support 32 bit plugs, compared to the money they bring in? Do the 64 bit versions bring in more? I would be fascinated to hear the answer. I moved over to 64 bit DAW/plugins at the end of 2015, when I bought a new laptop myself. I have a bunch of 32 bit plugs and Reaper still on my old laptop. They run great, by the way. However, when that laptop dies, the 32 bit plugs die with them

Return to “Instruments”