mac vs the world

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

found this very interesting. nugen audio held a major survey at the end of last year to refocus their company and develop new products, plus analyze user base etc. maybe you participated? the results came back and states that 65% of their user base used macs. only 35% were pc. this "most people use pc's" argument got old a while back.

We gunna do this again?
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

oh yessss...

for me though I'll never be able to shake the image that macs are for that moron in the tv commercial who "can't ever find the button on the thingy", also they're overpriced and slow

Yeah, I remember just loving figuring out all the problems you lot have and I don't. I'm so the moron, you betcha. :tu:

"and slow" - ever actually work w. one? Looks more like rumor. My computer is fast af, anyway.

It comes as no surprise to see it stated, I think with what we do the world is moving to Macs. NI doesn't seem to care all that much for the Windozes no mo', I mean the Native Access works here but has all these issues there, they make a new effect and people have to struggle to make their video card suit it... I'm struggling to not have schadenfreude frequently enough, I must say.
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yawn. I use both. They’re fine.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

jancivil wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:43 amI'm struggling to not have schadenfreude frequently enough, I must say.
I kid. Why would anyone have a judgment regarding such a thing? It's just the attitude such as in the post I reply to. There are certain factors in me being good with my own decision.
Using a simpler way to approach exactly the same work is the stupid person's way, sure.

for the record i use a pc, was a mac guy from 98-recently tho, and am proficient in both. they are both antiquated outdated junk relegated to the decade of 1984. the point of this post was the "there are far more pc users then mac users" argument is junk and has been for a long time. the numbers prove it.

Oh gowd.

Anyways, most of their users are not the normal grind. I haven't used or been interested in their products in many many years.

Again, they are both fine. I'll bet if you asked that of a prominent DAW user, you'd get a much different approach (sans logic)

The same survey puts protools at the top by 31.6 % over the closest competition (Logic).
I think this survey is heavily slanted away from the average person making music with computers.
Which makes sense, as the bulk of their products are aimed at post production.

i hate computers. I hate everything with an operating system, including the “infotainment system” in the 2015 Mazda 3 I drive (I like the car otherwise).

That said, I have MUCH less misery with my Macs (but let’s not talk about how horrific an iMac 12,2 is to service).

Just recently I discovered two of my Windows XP SP2 computers with fairly clean installs will not accept incoming file access connections (no, firewall has nothing to do with it), including to/from each other... but they will both happily access files on a Windows 10 share and a networked Receptor. No solution (I spent days on this, and no, I am NOT going to reinstall). It’s self-breaking shit like this (and self-breaking Windows Update, and others) that drove me from the platform. I keep them around for old tools, gaming, and other retro needs. It’s painful every time I use them and I have ZERO patience or tolerance for them as a result of some kind of PTSD I’ve developed around decades of Windows usage (and being an IT person).

But again, I HATE computers. They’re all garbage, sometimes because the hardware sucks, but usually because they’re running garbage software that no one can be arsed to fix (and if you tell me “all software has bugs; that’s just life”, you are part of what’s wrong with the world).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

jancivil wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:43 am Yeah, I remember just loving figuring out all the problems you lot have and I don't. I'm so the moron, you betcha. :tu:

"and slow" - ever actually work w. one? Looks more like rumor. My computer is fast af, anyway.

It comes as no surprise to see it stated, I think with what we do the world is moving to Macs. NI doesn't seem to care all that much for the Windozes no mo', I mean the Native Access works here but has all these issues there, they make a new effect and people have to struggle to make their video card suit it... I'm struggling to not have schadenfreude frequently enough, I must say.
you speak of rumor and yet assume everyone not on a mac has problems. I'm still on my 2011 install (on new 2018 hardware) and I've never any kind of issues. I'll forever be puzzled at how windows can be so problematic for some - I guess I'm just lucky I grew up with it.

as for "the world is moving to mac", and speaking of NI, the last interesting thing that came out happened to be Kore 2, that was a while ago, at this point the world can move on to the iWatch for all I care tbh, I'm fine with the power gap that's happening between my studio and the newer ones.

Since you want to be purely argumentative...
"[you] assume everyone not on a mac has problems"

I wrote about actual issues I saw here frequently. I assumed exactly nothing, so your fallacy is straw man.
I actually used windows for a time, and I lost certain problems I had immediately upon moving to Mac. That would tend to be true today albeit not those particular issues.

I don't ever experience... edit to save space: numerous known issues,..

"the last interesting thing that came out happened to be Kore 2" - this subjective criterion is to counter some facts in evidence as though they magically vanish?

I don't think my mentioning those things changes that you're pulling things out of your ass.
"can't shake the image that macs are for that moron in the tv commercial who "can't ever find the button on the thingy"" is all your image, tho; you insult everyone who doesn't mirror your choice of OS, really? :shrug:
The implication there actually is it's easier to run. Terrible, no one wants that! I should have my identity all wrapped up in my knowledge of editing the windows registry, isn't that right!

And I mentioned those specific things only because you're just working on assumptions and acted like having an easier use case makes people helpless.

deastman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:07 am Yawn. I use both. They’re fine.
yeah, ive used both, only own a pc at home, but that was more a financial decision than a quality :shrug:
if this goes, now im doing a little better than then, who knows.
the mac does allow me to play with alchemy, which would be nice.
but, its not like im lost without alchemy.
so a pc is fine too.

When I was teaching way back 'in the day', I dropped one of those early iMacs down a flight of stairs. Very satisfying. I used to hate those things.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”