XLN Audio news?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rivanni wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:04 am
rod_zero wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:33 pm Wonder if it can scan DRM protected samples, for examples the ones included in Ableton live.
No, it doesn't. At least not the Ableton Live ones.
It would have to go through ableton live to do that (e.g. in a max plugin or something), so not really possible outside (that's too bad, there are some good ones in there). I also have e.g. drumvolution and it can't get to those either.

XO looks cool, but already having atlas (which i do love) at that price I'd probably add StiX first, doesn't have the matching but it has a lot of actual drum synths + randomization, which accomplishes a lot of the same thing.

I gave XO a decent run yesterday. When adding folders, it crashes on certain wav files, which I'm guessing has something to do with the naming of certain files. The scanner was going too fast to narrow it down, but it repeatedly crashed on the same folder of samples (FXpansion's Best of Guru). It took everything else and did a good job of rejecting loops in favor of one-shots. I'm sure with an email to XLN, that will probably be resolved in a future bug fix.

The sequencer is very nice and well thought out. It could be a standalone product (and in some ways I wish it was).

The UI really is too small. Luckily I can zoom in to use it, but it'd be great if I didn't have to do that... But it is small.

I have to spend more time with it, but the sample swap feature feels very clumsy to me. This is something that could be improved, but again I'll spend more time with it before judging too much.

It really is nice to have a program like this, which makes something like Atlas very attractive, but I'm going to compare the grouping in both XO and Atlas. There's some errant groupings in XO, but it seems rare (so far).

I'm still impressed, but definitely on the fence about purchasing.

slight side question - what would be a rival for the sequencer side of it? I'm not actually particularly interested in the tagging / visualization of samples.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm slight side question - what would be a rival for the sequencer side of it? I'm not actually particularly interested in the tagging / visualization of samples.
Would second that, curious to know more about it from the ones who experienced it.
edit: never mind, I'll check that out by myself.

The sequencer part of XO is awesome. I really like the Beat Combiner in the "Playground". Lots of ways to quickly come up with variations.

The biggest problem I see with XO is that there is currently no way to import MIDI patterns into XO. So you only have the 100 or so included MIDI patterns, although with lots of ways to make custom variations. In the Plugin Boutique video by Joshua Casper, he talks about making expansion packs for XO in the future, so I have to believe there will be a way to add to the MIDI patterns at some point.

Can the XO sequencer do polyrhythms?

I was curious about this too and after seeing the XO more in depth there's nothing around like this sequencer or workflow. Nothing is truly close at the moment when you really understand it.
nordickvr wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:06 pm
ChamomileShark wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:52 pm slight side question - what would be a rival for the sequencer side of it? I'm not actually particularly interested in the tagging / visualization of samples.
Would second that, curious to know more about it from the ones who experienced it.
edit: never mind, I'll check that out by myself.

The workflow ramifications that I didn't initially think about are absolutely crazy. The ability to curate your entire library this quickly is outrageous.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV6B4Ru0-ek

simmo75 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 pm Can the XO sequencer do polyrhythms?

No, I did bring it up a couple of times in the beta and they said it could possibly be added if they find a way to fit it into the sequencer. I gave them a few suggestions.
They did add one other thing I requested during the beta so fingers crossed they add this as well.
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

I'm really liking this concept, but can it do anything other than 4/4? Massive deal breaker if not. And polyrhythms, surely not impossible set the length of each lane independently?
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

Really on the fence with this one. I’ve always Been hesitant downloading too many drum sounds since it messes up my workflow. This could really be the solution.

Only negative things are the price and no midi import.

I bought Atlas on sale at 49$ yesterday and I really love it. Really intuitive and useful, with an upcoming sequencer.

yeah i think i will get atlas too cause 179 bucks are just too much atm but xln also does 50% sales sometimes afaik
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I have to say XO looks pretty badass. I will likely pick it up when it goes on sale. It seems really innovative and has some nice features. I do hope they update Addictive Drums 2 as well with some of the functionality.

rlared wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:14 pm I have to say XO looks pretty badass. I will likely pick it up when it goes on sale. It seems really innovative and has some nice features. I do hope they update Addictive Drums 2 as well with some of the functionality.
These are my thoughts too...

AD3 hopefully resembles XO (features and appearance).... and for the love of Gawd, make the UI resizable!

Return to “Instruments”