Wavemapper 2...I Surrender

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now I know why nobody talks about this synth around here, or anywhere for that matter. There are maybe a half dozen Youtube tutorials, if that. The manual is no help.

After owning this thing since 2015 and using it strictly as a preset player, I finally decided that I was going to finally learn how to use this thing properly. Mind you, I did create a few presets when I first got it but nothing to write home about.

Well now I can't even get a preset to save. I don't know if something's gotten corrupted or what. But when I save a patch, it saves visually on the top line of the browser but doesn't get stored in the bank. Before that, when I could save things, when I'd pull the preset up, the 13 map icons would not reload into their proper slots. Factory presets work perfectly.

Long story short, I surrender. This is the most convoluted, confusing synth I've ever worked with.

And it's a shame because I love the different sounds you can get out of it. It's amazing for atmospheric stuff.

I have an easier time programming modular synths.

Not completely sorry I got it because it comes with enough presets to be useful and if I want to program a sound for a project, I can still do that even though it won't save. As long as the plugin remains loaded, the sound loads back up the next time I work on the project. Kind of like the early days of synths where as long as you left your sliders and knobs where they were, you were ready to go again for your next recording session.

It isn't the most elegant solution, but it's still usable.

Still, I wish this synth wasn't so damn confusing.

You should have figured this out only by looking at this interface. Cmon wagtunes, having so many synths you should spend no more than 39 seconds to spot the usability.

Igro wrote:You should have figured this out only by looking at this interface. Cmon wagtunes, having so many synths you should spend no more than 39 seconds to spot the usability.
Ha ha, you're funny. Ever think of getting a job at a comedy club?

I agree on Wag's comment on this one...used so many synths, but wavemapper2 is quite unwieldy and buggy (or inconsistent...). One of the synths i regret buying.

Found this thread as I’ve been tempted to buy wavemapper 2 for a while. Have updates fixed these issues?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:41 am Found this thread as I’ve been tempted to buy wavemapper 2 for a while. Have updates fixed these issues?
No, but I finally learned how to use this so I don't have the problem anymore. Even created a preset library for it. Took me a long time to wrap my head around it though, that's for sure.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:02 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:41 am Found this thread as I’ve been tempted to buy wavemapper 2 for a while. Have updates fixed these issues?
No, but I finally learned how to use this so I don't have the problem anymore. Even created a preset library for it. Took me a long time to wrap my head around it though, that's for sure.

wagtunes wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 7:50 pm Well now I can't even get a preset to save. I don't know if something's gotten corrupted or what. But when I save a patch, it saves visually on the top line of the browser but doesn't get stored in the bank. Before that, when I could save things, when I'd pull the preset up, the 13 map icons would not reload into their proper slots. Factory presets work perfectly.

so what actually happened, did the preset saving 'bug' get fixed, or was it user error?

wagtunes wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 7:50 pm Now I know why nobody talks about this synth around here, or anywhere for that matter. There are maybe a half dozen Youtube tutorials, if that. The manual is no help.

After owning this thing since 2015 and using it strictly as a preset player, I finally decided that I was going to finally learn how to use this thing properly. Mind you, I did create a few presets when I first got it but nothing to write home about.

Well now I can't even get a preset to save. I don't know if something's gotten corrupted or what. But when I save a patch, it saves visually on the top line of the browser but doesn't get stored in the bank. Before that, when I could save things, when I'd pull the preset up, the 13 map icons would not reload into their proper slots. Factory presets work perfectly.

Long story short, I surrender. This is the most convoluted, confusing synth I've ever worked with.

And it's a shame because I love the different sounds you can get out of it. It's amazing for atmospheric stuff.

I have an easier time programming modular synths.

Not completely sorry I got it because it comes with enough presets to be useful and if I want to program a sound for a project, I can still do that even though it won't save. As long as the plugin remains loaded, the sound loads back up the next time I work on the project. Kind of like the early days of synths where as long as you left your sliders and knobs where they were, you were ready to go again for your next recording session.

It isn't the most elegant solution, but it's still usable.

Still, I wish this synth wasn't so damn confusing.
Absolutely my opinion. From the beginning I had problems with Wavegenerator, Wavemapper and the others. Saving sounds is horror because you do not get it. That's why I only use these synths as preset slingshots. Even creating wavetables in Wavemapper is complicated like no other. Scanning through the wavetable is almost impossible.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

AnX wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:44 am
so what actually happened, did the preset saving 'bug' get fixed, or was it user error?
I don't think it is or was buggy and only in a certain sense can you call it user error. It is hard to figure out and remember how to do it. It is not in the slightest bit intuitive. It is the clumsiest preset system I have encountered. I have had to figure it out more than once cause a period of time passes and somehow all knowledge of how to do it seems to flee from the brain.

The Developer did make the whole process slightly easier, but clearly his mind and how he internally organizes stuff is very different from mine! hehehe

I like the synth so much and it is unique enough that I put up with it.

PietW. wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:38 amSaving sounds is horror because you do not get it. That's why I only use these synths as preset slingshots. Even creating wavetables in Wavemapper is complicated like no other. Scanning through the wavetable is almost impossible.
Preset saving really is a horror... :hihi:

Creating wavetables is not bad... and scanning through them is pretty easy. Each of the 3 Osc's has a dedicated wavetable envelope for modulating the wavetable position.

How can saving a preset be so hard? What kind of system could have been devised that could make such a simple action be complicated?

ive seen it described elsewhere as "problematic" but they didn't go into details

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 pm How can saving a preset be so hard? What kind of system could have been devised that could make such a simple action be complicated?
You will have to try it to have the full experience... :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 pm How can saving a preset be so hard? What kind of system could have been devised that could make such a simple action be complicated?
You will have to try it to have the full experience... :hihi:
Unfortunately my 7 day trial is long finished. I never tried saving a preset.

It is an experience that needs to be experienced.

Return to “Instruments”