UVI Falcon opinions: for granular synthesis & grain manipulations ONLY

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Neon Breath
KVRAF
3167 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello folks & Falcon owners

Need your opinion guys on granular synthesis with Falcon. For granular synthesis purposes only, would getting Falcon be overkill? I’ve been reading all the specs and I know Falcon offers TONS of other synthesis & stuff, but I’m only interested for now by granular synthesis for sound design mostly, ambient soundscapes and other experimental sounds. That’s why I’m wondering if getting Falcon just for granular is totally overkill…

What do you guys think? Man I wish there was a demo...

Thanks in advance for your time & opinion :)

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17838 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: UVI Falcon opinions: for granular synthesis & grain manipulations ONLY

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 pm

Might just do fine with Mangle for starters?

rlared
KVRist
317 posts since 1 Aug, 2016

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Yes Falcon is overkill for your current needs.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6481 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 pm

It depends on how comfortable you are spending that kind of money just for a granular synth. If you don't mind that, then it's a good granular synth with lots of modulation, even mpe and some per voice effects. I don't have it anymore as I'm happy with granular in Omnisphere and Bitwig Sampler. There's also other options like Audio Damage Quanta for much cheaper.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

zerocrossing
KVRAF
9424 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Yeah, it’s not that great for just granular. Fine for a feature in a very feature rich synth, but if you’re going to buy a synth for just granular... nah. Mangle, Quanta, Granite, Padshop Pro would all be better choices.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Neon Breath
KVRAF

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Fantastic, thanks all for the input guys. Seems you all pointing to the same direction :)

madmod001
KVRer
6 posts since 8 Feb, 2016

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 pm

It really depends on what modulation options you need to go with the granular. If it’s fairly simple stuff then I echo the above statements.
Im pretty sure even a free Reaktor player can get that job done.

However In the past I have used other plugins to do granular “for now”, but “now” I just use either falcon or Reaktor, then I can change directions. I’m over claustrophobic synths unless they do sample extra special.

Both falcon and reaktor have simple pre made presets that you can choose to make complicated, but in the end they give you choices.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17838 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:16 pm

zerocrossing wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:13 pm
Yeah, it’s not that great for just granular
Actually, it is, has grain and multi grain modes, they sound really great (Simon Stockhausen has some great examples). But if OP wanted to focus solely on granular, probably better to go with a plugin solely dedicated to that.

Hez
KVRian
589 posts since 10 Dec, 2013

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:03 am

Just to be irritating, I really really like the sound of Falcon's granular manipulation. The IRCAM algorithms are insane, and the flexible architecture makes it a really nice tool to build drones and pads with. It also does sci-fi high-def granular stuff very very well (which I know is important for your music ;D), better than The Mangle etc. in my humble opinion - the grain window options are really handy for getting twisty bendy mechanical stuff to sound clean for example.

To caveat, I don't have that much experience with pure granular synths. I'd say I prefer the sound of Falcon's granular engine to Quanta, Avenger, The Mangle and Granite. I've never tried Crusher X which seems to be Simon's favourite granular tool so maybe worth playing with that first if you haven't used it?

beater
KVRist
30 posts since 25 May, 2010

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 am

I agree with evildragon and hez. Also when you combine granular with the awesome inbuilt effects it can take granular sounds to the next level.

Neon Breath
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 am

Damn guys! :lol: ...I was nearly decided to not get it. But now with the last replies, again still hesitating and tempted.

Since I'm going to concentrate on granular for soundscape creation, I want it to sound VERY good, that's the most important point. Mangle, I own it since it first came out and honestly it's collecting dust. Not bad per say but I don't really enjoy its workflow and I still find it incomplete in that regard. Granite is super fun, I really like its unique creative workflow but it sounds way too rough and lowfi, it desperately need a major upgrade sonically.

The 'problem' with Falcon is all the other synthesis methods I don't care for, like FM, Drum, Analogue, Organ... Will probably never touch them. I'm really just interested in the Sample manipulation of Falcon, for Granular & Stretch. That's why I'm really wondering if the whole Falcon would be overkill....

Not decided yet, so your opinion is still very welcome! :D

Thavma
KVRist
231 posts since 29 Apr, 2014

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 am

You certainly have some advantages with Falcon over others, even for just granular. you can have mutliple layers and oscs, all doing different stuff, some of them sample streched, some granular, some maybe even noise and even wavetable morph, and you have all the nice effects and advanced modulation and all that in one instance, also you can do multi patches, you put many presets (which have hundreds of tweaks and oscs and fx) . :) it is expensive though, but I think you will be using it it for more than granular if you decide to get it. And so many ways to moduleate, except lfos, step envelope, multi envelope, things like scripting fx, chorder.. its a sounddesign beast if you ask me . and no I am not trying to sell it to you :D I just love it

Hez
KVRian
589 posts since 10 Dec, 2013

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 am

Neon Breath wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 am
Damn guys! :lol: ...I was nearly decided to not get it. But now with the last replies, again still hesitating and tempted.

Since I'm going to concentrate on granular for soundscape creation, I want it to sound VERY good, that's the most important point. Mangle, I own it since it first came out and honestly it's collecting dust. Not bad per say but I don't really enjoy its workflow and I still find it incomplete in that regard. Granite is super fun, I really like its unique creative workflow but it sounds way too rough and lowfi, it desperately need a major upgrade sonically.

The 'problem' with Falcon is all the other synthesis methods I don't care for, like FM, Drum, Analogue, Organ... Will probably never touch them. I'm really just interested in the Sample manipulation of Falcon, for Granular & Stretch. That's why I'm really wondering if the whole Falcon would be overkill....

You think you'll never use the other stuff, but whenever I open up Falcon to create a granular patch I can't help but add in some other stuff just for the sake of it. It's very conducive to creating these huge elaborate patches that can basically fill out a song on their own. Half the time I think "well I just set up all these nice modulation sources for my granular layer, why not just add an FM layer and map some of them up and see what happens?"

Also as beater says, the inbuilt FX & filters etc. are really really nice for modern/hifi sounding stuff. I never open Falcon if I want something warm and oldschool but it's usually my first choice if I'm doing some techy scifi thing.

It is pretty damn expensive though - it's ridiculous that they still don't offer a demo.

EDIT: Also amazing job with the last Red Fog release, absolutely suffocating drone! I know I'm not helping but I think Falcon's sound is very compatible with your music hahaha.

Neon Breath
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:28 am

Hez wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 am
Neon Breath wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 am

You think you'll never use the other stuff, but whenever I open up Falcon to create a granular patch I can't help but add in some other stuff just for the sake of it. It's very conducive to creating these huge elaborate patches that can basically fill out a song on their own. Half the time I think "well I just set up all these nice modulation sources for my granular layer, why not just add an FM layer and map some of them up and see what happens?"

Also as beater says, the inbuilt FX & filters etc. are really really nice for modern/hifi sounding stuff. I never open Falcon if I want something warm and oldschool but it's usually my first choice if I'm doing some techy scifi thing.

It is pretty damn expensive though - it's ridiculous that they still don't offer a demo.

EDIT: Also amazing job with the last Red Fog release, absolutely suffocating drone! I know I'm not helping but I think Falcon's sound is very compatible with your music hahaha.
Hehehe I like that and I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that I won't use the other synthesis forms. The digital sound I embrace it, it's pretty much what I am after anyway so it is very welcome.

About you Edit point: thanks so much for this, very appreciated :hail:

MadUnit
KVRer
9 posts since 14 Mar, 2019

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Are you on Ableton, if not well you might reconsider? So many suggestions.

Cat Stretch is really nice, but you also have Dillion Bastion doing nice things with IOTA, very powerful manipulation tool using grain looping, allows melodic grain progressions using slices and varied playback, you also have Samsara another M4L device, speaking of spectral you have Grip and Spectral runner and while youré at it Grain Cooler, Grain Reverser, Grain Crusher and Grain Delay, then the more rounded Granulator, finally you have Ircamax messing around with Psycho acoustics and what not, not an osc in sight honestly.

If your not on Max maybe consider looking at Iris 2, underrated, its on board effects are bad everything else in terms of manipulation is decent, I also like Omnishperes granular options, but really you can go and get Ribs right now to get started.

https://hvoyaaudio.itch.io/ribs

Return to “Instruments”