(Industrial) - Beelzebot

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking for some critique on this industrial number that I put together in fl studio

EDIT: DRUMS REMIXED https://youtu.be/FhDPHaCKEM0

ORIGINAL UPLOAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WbDoPEaNdU
Last edited by frank1985 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

It has some interesting things going on but it kind of lacks energy. Maybe more drive from the percussion.

fastlanephil wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:40 am [...] it kind of lacks energy. Maybe more drive from the percussion.
Distort them! And maybe a snare with more weight?

To me, the drums are letting the instruments down, because the music itself is nice. Good mix of keys and guitars and the interplay works. The drums sound like a bit of an afterthought. The other parts are so much more cohesive to my ears.

The drums sound cohesive as a unit too; the sound choices work together. It's the blend of melodic instruments and drums that I think is an issue here. Some more weight and dirtiness and grit to match the distorted guitar and moody piano.

It wouldn't need to be industrial per se; there's enough going on here to sound like some of the 90s trip hop a la Portishead or Massive Attack. Where again, the overall sound was more dirty and lofi than the clean drum machine sound you have going here. I guess I'm just missing some more dirt and grit and grind for something with the label "industrial".

I like what you've got, think it could still be improved!

sjm wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:05 pm
fastlanephil wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:40 am [...] it kind of lacks energy. Maybe more drive from the percussion.
Distort them! And maybe a snare with more weight?

To me, the drums are letting the instruments down, because the music itself is nice. Good mix of keys and guitars and the interplay works. The drums sound like a bit of an afterthought. The other parts are so much more cohesive to my ears.

The drums sound cohesive as a unit too; the sound choices work together. It's the blend of melodic instruments and drums that I think is an issue here. Some more weight and dirtiness and grit to match the distorted guitar and moody piano.

It wouldn't need to be industrial per se; there's enough going on here to sound like some of the 90s trip hop a la Portishead or Massive Attack. Where again, the overall sound was more dirty and lofi than the clean drum machine sound you have going here. I guess I'm just missing some more dirt and grit and grind for something with the label "industrial".

I like what you've got, think it could still be improved!
Thanks for the feedback folks, always appreciated. I've added a bit of grit to the drumkit to make it sound a bit more sleazy and lo-fi. Also more snap and weight to the snare. https://youtu.be/FhDPHaCKEM0

I think that's an improvement. The difference between the instruments and drums is no longer jarring. You could probably go further in that direction if you wanted to; but don't have to IMO.

I don't consider this to be Industrial. But I think it's interesting...

I'm not mad about the piano because I think it would be a bit more aggressive if it were a synth (but that's personal preference).

I like the lead it sounds dissonant (which I like).

I think the drums lack a bit of punch compared to the other sounds (as people have already mentioned). I'd consider layering them up a bit perhaps. Too much distortion will start to make them abrasive if you're not careful.

I like the overall vibe tho'.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 pm I don't consider this to be Industrial. But I think it's interesting...

I'm not mad about the piano because I think it would be a bit more aggressive if it were a synth (but that's personal preference).

I like the lead it sounds dissonant (which I like).

I think the drums lack a bit of punch compared to the other sounds (as people have already mentioned). I'd consider layering them up a bit perhaps. Too much distortion will start to make them abrasive if you're not careful.

I like the overall vibe tho'.
layering is a good idea, i'll give that a go, thanks for your feedback

No worries... Hope it helps.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”