(Industrial) - Beelzebot

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
frank1985
KVRist
118 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from Uk

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 am

Looking for some critique on this industrial number that I put together in fl studio

EDIT: DRUMS REMIXED https://youtu.be/FhDPHaCKEM0

ORIGINAL UPLOAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WbDoPEaNdU
Last edited by frank1985 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

fastlanephil
KVRian
735 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Re: (Industrial) - Beelzebot

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm

It has some interesting things going on but it kind of lacks energy. Maybe more drive from the percussion.

sjm
KVRAF
1843 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:05 pm

fastlanephil wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm
[...] it kind of lacks energy. Maybe more drive from the percussion.
Distort them! And maybe a snare with more weight?

To me, the drums are letting the instruments down, because the music itself is nice. Good mix of keys and guitars and the interplay works. The drums sound like a bit of an afterthought. The other parts are so much more cohesive to my ears.

The drums sound cohesive as a unit too; the sound choices work together. It's the blend of melodic instruments and drums that I think is an issue here. Some more weight and dirtiness and grit to match the distorted guitar and moody piano.

It wouldn't need to be industrial per se; there's enough going on here to sound like some of the 90s trip hop a la Portishead or Massive Attack. Where again, the overall sound was more dirty and lofi than the clean drum machine sound you have going here. I guess I'm just missing some more dirt and grit and grind for something with the label "industrial".

I like what you've got, think it could still be improved!
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

frank1985
KVRist

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 am

sjm wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:05 pm
fastlanephil wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm
[...] it kind of lacks energy. Maybe more drive from the percussion.
Distort them! And maybe a snare with more weight?

To me, the drums are letting the instruments down, because the music itself is nice. Good mix of keys and guitars and the interplay works. The drums sound like a bit of an afterthought. The other parts are so much more cohesive to my ears.

The drums sound cohesive as a unit too; the sound choices work together. It's the blend of melodic instruments and drums that I think is an issue here. Some more weight and dirtiness and grit to match the distorted guitar and moody piano.

It wouldn't need to be industrial per se; there's enough going on here to sound like some of the 90s trip hop a la Portishead or Massive Attack. Where again, the overall sound was more dirty and lofi than the clean drum machine sound you have going here. I guess I'm just missing some more dirt and grit and grind for something with the label "industrial".

I like what you've got, think it could still be improved!
Thanks for the feedback folks, always appreciated. I've added a bit of grit to the drumkit to make it sound a bit more sleazy and lo-fi. Also more snap and weight to the snare. https://youtu.be/FhDPHaCKEM0

sjm
KVRAF
1843 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 am

I think that's an improvement. The difference between the instruments and drums is no longer jarring. You could probably go further in that direction if you wanted to; but don't have to IMO.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

Robmobius
KVRAF
3156 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am

I don't consider this to be Industrial. But I think it's interesting...

I'm not mad about the piano because I think it would be a bit more aggressive if it were a synth (but that's personal preference).

I like the lead it sounds dissonant (which I like).

I think the drums lack a bit of punch compared to the other sounds (as people have already mentioned). I'd consider layering them up a bit perhaps. Too much distortion will start to make them abrasive if you're not careful.

I like the overall vibe tho'.
We 'the leaders' bring you the ultimate paradigm shift. Dramatization: No paradigms were actually shifted in the making of this statement. Furthermore, any reference to paradigms is for entertainment purposes only.

frank1985
KVRist

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:11 am

Robmobius wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 am
I don't consider this to be Industrial. But I think it's interesting...

I'm not mad about the piano because I think it would be a bit more aggressive if it were a synth (but that's personal preference).

I like the lead it sounds dissonant (which I like).

I think the drums lack a bit of punch compared to the other sounds (as people have already mentioned). I'd consider layering them up a bit perhaps. Too much distortion will start to make them abrasive if you're not careful.

I like the overall vibe tho'.
layering is a good idea, i'll give that a go, thanks for your feedback

Robmobius
KVRAF
3156 posts since 10 Sep, 2010 from A shit hole (Ireland).

Post Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:44 am

No worries... Hope it helps.
We 'the leaders' bring you the ultimate paradigm shift. Dramatization: No paradigms were actually shifted in the making of this statement. Furthermore, any reference to paradigms is for entertainment purposes only.

Return to “Music Cafe”