Is there a synth that can modulate lfo xy points or lfo amount?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Kinh
KVRian
1195 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 pm

I want to vertically modulate the lfo points in serum but it cant be done. It's basically the same as modulating 'amount' of an lfo. You cant do it in Omnisphere too because the volume envelope which doesn't have 'depth' gets in the way.

AnX
KVRAF
4130 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Is there a synth that can modulate lfo xy points or lfo amount?

Post Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 pm

can you do it via your host? draw in automation?

Urs
u-he
23478 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 am

Kinh wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 pm
I want to vertically modulate the lfo points in serum but it cant be done. It's basically the same as modulating 'amount' of an lfo.
You can do that in Serum on the ModMatrix page. Just select an "aux source" for the LFO modulation you wish to scale.

Kinh
KVRian

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:11 am

Urs wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 am
Kinh wrote:
I want to vertically modulate the lfo points in serum but it cant be done. It's basically the same as modulating 'amount' of an lfo.
You can do that in Serum on the ModMatrix page. Just select an "aux source" for the LFO modulation you wish to scale.
I dont quite get what you mean. The aux source just has lfo1,2, etc. I want to control the last point on the lfo.

Urs
u-he
23478 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:20 am

Kinh wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:11 am
Urs wrote:
Kinh wrote:
I dont quite get what you mean. The aux source just has lfo1,2, etc. I want to control the last point on the lfo.
Ah, just one point?

I guess the you can only set up two LFOs and crossfade between them.

Kinh
KVRian

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:14 am

Urs wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:20 am
Kinh wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:11 am
Urs wrote:
Kinh wrote:
Ah, just one point?

I guess the you can only set up two LFOs and crossfade between them.
Thanks, morphing between them got close but not quite the same effect

Kwurqx
KVRist
271 posts since 15 Jun, 2017

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:19 am

Not sure what your goal is. Do you want to modulate the modulation amount of a modulator? E.g. the modulation amount on e.g. filter cutoff or pitch, modulated by e.g. an envelope?

If so, sometimes the amount of modulation is controlled by the sender, the modulation source (e.g. an LFO may have it's own "amplitude"). Sometimes the amount of modulation is controlled at the receiving end, the modulation target (e.g. filter cutoff, LFO amount). Sometimes both. Either via a separate modulation matrix or via "static" modulation paths/parameters.

Kwurqx
KVRist
271 posts since 15 Jun, 2017

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 am

Quotes from the manual of the amazingly versatile and free (and open source) Surge
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/manual/

Surge let's you modulate almost all synth parameters (as modulation targets) by many others (modulation souces). This includes modulating modulators (source x source).
NOTE:

By using the mini-button next to the main one you can select a different LFO for editing than the modulation source. This lets you modulate the parameters of one LFO with another.

The sub-chapter Modulation source buttons contain more information about how the buttons work.
The LFOs (Low Frequency Oscillator) in Surge are very flexible and come with a built in DAHDSR-envelope which lets the LFO work as a dedicated envelope generator or shape the magnitude of the LFO over time.

Lotuzia
KVRAF
9991 posts since 19 Feb, 2004 from Paris

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:18 am

Xils-lab Oxium, Syn'X 2 & Xils 3/4 : You can modulate the LFO level in all their matrixes. In Oxium you can automate the LFO levels via the Masks (advanced Step sequencers)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”