2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:14 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 ammy complaints lie squarely with both paypal for taking 9 days to process a payment and uk customs sitting on the parcel from the 22nd of march till yesterday. that's ridiculous.
Yeah, I remember when I first started buying music on line, I could order a CD from Amazon US on Monday and it would arrive at my hoe in Sydney on Friday. Then 9/11 happened and all that went to hell. Now it takes three weeks or more to get a CD from The States. It sucks.
i was warned of "issues" about going direct to the manufacturers in russia, due to hpc type material.
its ridiculous that trade suffers because leaders are dicks :shrug:

but, like i said, well worth the wait 8)
and the soma team, they where great through out, customer service 10/10 for them 8)

I bought some patch cables for my guitar effects boxes. :)

vurt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:53 pm
i was warned of "issues" about going direct to the manufacturers in russia, due to hpc type material.

and the soma team, they where great through out, customer service 10/10 for them 8)
Cant wait to hear it, although of course, I am thinking about getting one as well now, thank you
very much.

I might spring for a colored one tho...

pekbro wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:14 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Cant wait to hear it, although of course, I am thinking about getting one as well now, thank you
very much.
hopefully have a "simple" noodle, showing at least some of the :hyper: it gives you :hihi:
sorry bout that, but blame sprnva, he got me hooked with the video 8)
I might spring for a colored one tho...
nice :tu:

aside from the noise :love: (ps: haven't really investigated the drive yet either)
the build is great, the knobs they use are so fluid, as in some cases the slightest movement can go wild, the fact the knobs are so sensitive means you can be precise 8)
also easy to do "one finger rolls" on them, similar to guitar players doing swells with their pinky :hihi:

Modal Skulpt has finally appeared in my local music shop so I'll be off to play with it tomorrow evening (and possibly $600 poorer tomorrow night). I will be having a really good play with MicroMonsta tonight, just so I don't end up with two synths that do the same stuff, but Skulpt's keyboard might clinch the deal, even if there is a lot of overlap.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I suddenly sold 101 items on Reverb overnight (okay, one of them was a lot of 96 patch cables). Maybe people got their tax refund checks?

I can't have money coming in without rushing back out again, so now there's a Befaco Sampling Modulator and an Intellijel/Cylonix Rainmaker on the way :hyper: I look forward to sequencing entire melodies with pitch-shifted delay taps :D

the rainmaker does sound lovely, came across that in my delay search :hihi:
maybe one day, not like you can have "too many delays" :shrug:

I worked to build up my pedal board this year (and end of last year). Replaced a couple I wasn't too enamored with, and added some new ones.

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:28 pm the rainmaker does sound lovely, came across that in my delay search :hihi:
maybe one day, not like you can have "too many delays" :shrug:
:D I ignored it for the longest time because it's big, expensive, it looks not just complicated but batshit crazy, and had a reputation for being hard to dial in (which was true in its first firmware version). And I didn't really get into the one multitap delay plugin I tried (years ago). Just give me a single repeat or stereo, and let me stick stuff in the feedback path and I'll be happy... right?

But somebody recently told me the magic words "I like it better as a resonator than Elements" so I had to check it out. I figured I would safely write them off as crazy and get on with my life. A few videos and Soundcloud tracks later and I started trying to figure out how to make a hole in my case and budget big enough for it.

I think the crazy maximalism actually works, and lets you build stuff like FDN reverbs with shimmer, strummed Karplus-Strong, and so on.

im just happy i asked here about delays, doubt the soma would have crossed my path otherwise. and asking at muffs id imagine the gems might get lost in the onslaught of replies :hihi:
but this thing is both tame and crazy, some delays do one or the other well, this just sings!

so im done for now (he says) just waiting on the new releases, clouds and cvlization. then maybe some more lfo/envelope cv type stuff for moving stuff around.
but for sounds and processing, aside from clouds, the machine is complete. or at least, im happy where it is :hihi:
can do most things im looking to achieve, if not all, with some additional daw functions (overdubs and mixing).
but for jamming with the guitar, its a demon :D so plan achieved 8)
for now... :hihi:

Forgotten wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:29 pm I worked to build up my pedal board this year (and end of last year). Replaced a couple I wasn't too enamored with, and added some new ones.
were always happy to hear about pedal excitement :D
so lets hear some details!

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:22 am Modal Skulpt has finally appeared in my local music shop so I'll be off to play with it tomorrow evening (and possibly $600 poorer tomorrow night). I will be having a really good play with MicroMonsta tonight, just so I don't end up with two synths that do the same stuff, but Skulpt's keyboard might clinch the deal, even if there is a lot of overlap.
i see from the other thread youre enjoying it 8)

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:29 pm I worked to build up my pedal board this year (and end of last year). Replaced a couple I wasn't too enamored with, and added some new ones.
were always happy to hear about pedal excitement :D
so lets hear some details!
Well I was never really happy with the distortion pedals I had (a really old Marshall Governor and a DOD American Metal). I bought them during the 80s when the sound I got for them was what I wanted to play at the time. I got myself a couple of relatively common pedals, but ones that fit what I do much better now - a Big Muff Pi and a Boss DS-1.

I didn't like the digital delay I have either, so I went back to analog (so glad I did!) and got an MXR Carbon Copy. Totally forgot how great it is to just play a clean guitar through a good delay pedal and just sit and mess around with the controls and play anything that comes into my head.

The other thing I got is an EHX Oceans 11 reverb pedal. I didn't own one and usually used the (pretty crappy) reverb on one of my amps, but this one really broadens what I can do. It's not perfect as it has a few reverb types that don't sound that great, but most of them are really good.

Hadn't been playing guitar much up until the end of last year, so picking my guitars up again was what prompted this. Haven't really played other instruments through them yet, but will probably hook keyboards up to them sometime and see what I can get out of them.

nice! :tu:
the big muff through the mxr is a nice enough dave gilmour sound without giving the bank manager a heart attack too :hihi:
i don't have the pi, just a regular and i want the triangle too. they all have a slightly different sweet spot, and i love me some fuzz :D

theres some great pedals these days without spending much, and ehx do some great stuff. had to stop watching their demo videos for fear of needing more floor space :hihi:
i have the old canyon delay they did but want the grand version, mainly for the magnetic drum delay, but also, the looper on the first one is awesome, has decay settings so you can do some frippertronic type stuff, two of them in series or parallel would be great :tu:

I just picked up a Shure KSM32 (still in the mail, so I haven't been able to play with it yet). So I'm looking forward to that coming in early next week. I'll also be adding acoustic treatment -- I mainly use hard/soft synths on a set of good headphones, so it hasn't been a priority until now. But with a proper mic incoming, it's time to actually treat the room. Those will probably be the first (and last) purchases of the year. The only other possibility would be to upgrade preamps, but I'm in no rush and won't know if it's even worth doing until the room is treated.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”