Vestige

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
jethrobull
KVRAF
1507 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 pm

"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just make noise"
.......................
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

mevla
KVRAF
2216 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: Vestige

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:40 am

Quite a nice piece for this mood !

The modulations and various sound transformations are very nice. The contrast between the lush background and the 'electronics'. The appearance of a soft pad bass at 1:04 arrives at the just the right time. And the drop back to the 'electronics' at 2:40 after the strings have driven home the mood is also just right. The mix is appropriate, everything seems to be just right and aligned, working together to deliver the mood.

First time I'm listening to a piece made by you. As time goes by I'll listen to more on your soundcloud page.

Cheers.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15565 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Vestige

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:46 am

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall - 9.25

Comments: Nice intro. Too bad it lasts for the whole song. So it's essentially a 3 note motif played throughout with lots of variations in the sounds around it. As pieces like these go, this one isn't too bad. The instruments were very nice. The ending didn't fit at all and kind of ruined things a bit but otherwise, one of the better pieces without a real melody posted here. Now THAT'S how you do ambient. Just lose the ending and it's pretty darn good.

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18263 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Vestige

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:45 am

for a good review, that's pretty brutal
:hihi:

mevla
KVRAF
2216 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Re: Vestige

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 pm

The amount of different things that can be grouped under 'Ambient' is impressive.

User avatar
jethrobull
KVRAF
1507 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Re: Vestige

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:07 am

mevla wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:40 am
Quite a nice piece for this mood !

The modulations and various sound transformations are very nice. The contrast between the lush background and the 'electronics'. The appearance of a soft pad bass at 1:04 arrives at the just the right time. And the drop back to the 'electronics' at 2:40 after the strings have driven home the mood is also just right. The mix is appropriate, everything seems to be just right and aligned, working together to deliver the mood.

First time I'm listening to a piece made by you. As time goes by I'll listen to more on your soundcloud page.

Cheers.
Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and comment. Really appreciate your thoughts :tu:
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just make noise"
.......................
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

sjm
KVRAF
1844 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Re: Vestige

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 am

Call me easily entertained, but I really enjoyed this. It's not about how many notes you use, but how you use them, right?

To be fair, I get where wags is coming from, different strokes for different folks and all that. To me, this ticked all the right boxes for the genre.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)

https://soundcloud.com/steevm/

User avatar
jethrobull
KVRAF
1507 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Re: Vestige

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:51 am

wagtunes wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:46 am
My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall - 9.25

Comments: Nice intro. Too bad it lasts for the whole song. So it's essentially a 3 note motif played throughout with lots of variations in the sounds around it. As pieces like these go, this one isn't too bad. The instruments were very nice. The ending didn't fit at all and kind of ruined things a bit but otherwise, one of the better pieces without a real melody posted here. Now THAT'S how you do ambient. Just lose the ending and it's pretty darn good.
Thank's Wags. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just make noise"
.......................
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

User avatar
jethrobull
KVRAF
1507 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Re: Vestige

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:23 pm

sjm wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 am
Call me easily entertained, but I really enjoyed this. It's not about how many notes you use, but how you use them, right?

To be fair, I get where wags is coming from, different strokes for different folks and all that. To me, this ticked all the right boxes for the genre.
Thank you for the listen,I really appreciate it.Glad you enjoyed it. :tu:
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just make noise"
.......................
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

User avatar
tl
KVRian
548 posts since 8 May, 2002 from ... , germany

Re: Vestige

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 am

nice piece... with its minimalism it escorts and carries "inner action" and contemplation very well.
i enjoyed it.

regards,
tl.

User avatar
Allomerus
KVRAF
2170 posts since 28 Aug, 2012 from Melbourne, Australia

Re: Vestige

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:36 am

Even though I like very busy music, there is also a place for minimal stuff. I like this...
There is enough variation in the three notes and with everything else to let it drift, which is how I see ambient.
Well done!
:)
Allomerus.com
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

lwj
KVRist
112 posts since 3 Feb, 2018

Re: Vestige

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:45 am

loved it.. I wouldn't mind a bit more of an electronic edge personally, it's hinted at but I'd love it if the electronics overtake the piano and strings at some point. But then, it would be hard to do that in a way that's not cheesy as hell so maybe not.

User avatar
jethrobull
KVRAF
1507 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Re: Vestige

Post Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:06 pm

tl wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 am
nice piece... with its minimalism it escorts and carries "inner action" and contemplation very well.
i enjoyed it.

regards,
tl.
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen,I really appreciate it. :tu:
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just make noise"
.......................
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

User avatar
jethrobull
KVRAF
1507 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Re: Vestige

Post Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Allomerus wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:36 am
Even though I like very busy music, there is also a place for minimal stuff. I like this...
There is enough variation in the three notes and with everything else to let it drift, which is how I see ambient.
Well done!
:)
Hey thank you Allomerus. So glad you enjoyed it.Always a pleasure hearing your thoughts :hug:
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just make noise"
.......................
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

drumity
KVRian
1070 posts since 28 May, 2007

Re: Vestige

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:32 am

I like it !

I think you had a film score in mind
and nothing like the picture you choosed for YT
I would imagine a film scene from "Contact 2"
where the aliens not only expose themselves
but give the protagonist hope that they will take him with them
and eventually the spaceship disappears in one exa-second
leaving the protagonist puzzled, feared and disappointed

So in that case the end works perfectly well :-)

(( D ))

Return to “Music Cafe”