Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
In The Mix
KVRist
248 posts since 5 Jun, 2017 from Los Angeles

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:00 pm

A short composition dedicated to the monumental Notre-Dame cathedral. I limited myself to the most iconic instruments used in sacred music...Voice and Organ. Hope I was able to get the point across through this short composition.


https://youtu.be/axcwY8LMB0U
Image

User avatar
Bansaw
KVRian
538 posts since 19 Aug, 2008

Re: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Post Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Nice.
I was going to suggest adding more reverb, but you did that after 1:05.
Loved 1:39 onwards.

In The Mix
KVRist
248 posts since 5 Jun, 2017 from Los Angeles

Re: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Post Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Thank you Bansaw. Yes, the idea was to start from a smaller sounding vocal ensemble and then gradually moving to that grandness associated with Cathedral music.
Image

drumity
KVRian
1070 posts since 28 May, 2007

Re: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Nice little composition.
Perhaps the end is a bit too "complex", but
I really enjoyed it !
Thanks

(( D ))

In The Mix
KVRist
248 posts since 5 Jun, 2017 from Los Angeles

Re: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:05 pm

drumity wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:07 pm
Nice little composition.
Perhaps the end is a bit too "complex", but
I really enjoyed it !
Thanks

(( D ))
Thank you D. Did you find the chord progression too complex towards the end? The ending cadances?
Image

drumity
KVRian
1070 posts since 28 May, 2007

Re: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm

You´re welcome.
Yes the movement from the G#maj7 to the G/D would be enough, without the leading vocal phrase towards the G#maj7. It would be hard to sing also ;-)
My profs always stated "Keep it simple !"
But one has to hear it sing by a choir more articulated perhaps and than it would make perfect sense.
Just an observation :-)

(( D ))

noelyoungstudio
KVRer
12 posts since 16 Apr, 2019

Re: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:11 pm

Solid. Feelings of tension, sadness, and even evokes the nature of disaster, but resolves feeling triumphant. I think you communicated really well.

In The Mix
KVRist
248 posts since 5 Jun, 2017 from Los Angeles

Re: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:14 pm

drumity wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm
You´re welcome.
Yes the movement from the G#maj7 to the G/D would be enough, without the leading vocal phrase towards the G#maj7. It would be hard to sing also ;-)
My profs always stated "Keep it simple !"
But one has to hear it sing by a choir more articulated perhaps and than it would make perfect sense.
Just an observation :-)

(( D ))
That's true. I've done a ton of choir arrangements and the real deal always sounds drastically different with the professional ensemble that is. I still think it needed that chromatic voicing in this context. Too simple would be too clean and easy for this tragedy...but it's always great to hear it from a different perspective. Extremely useful, thanks!
Last edited by In The Mix on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

In The Mix
KVRist
248 posts since 5 Jun, 2017 from Los Angeles

Re: Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 pm

noelyoungstudio wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:11 pm
Solid. Feelings of tension, sadness, and even evokes the nature of disaster, but resolves feeling triumphant. I think you communicated really well.
Thank you. Yes, my goal was to create that fear/tension. I wanted to finish it with just the choir, but from what I hear the Organ survived the fire. So I thought it'd be a better idea to keep the Organ and have that victorious cadence.
Image

Return to “Music Cafe”