Absynth issues after all these years

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, I’ve had way more scoring work that needs good weird synth sounds in it. I decided to delve back into absynth for some more complex sounds as it uses almost no cpu on my system and that makes a noticeable difference when you have a couple hundred tracks going.

Unfortunately, I’m having issues with the looping envelopes, staying in sync. They seem to drift off to a pretty large degree by the time a single measure has gone by. Is this a known issue or is there something I’m overlooking? The only way I know for sure to keep things in time is to make the envelope the same length as the loop and then just retrigger it manually.

It seems to be especially noticeable with very simple rhythms like pulses on every 8th or 16th note. Anybody who could shed some light on this for me would be much appreciated. I love absynth and use sounds from it regularly, but I’ve found it’s more efficient than zebra or many of my other goto synths for making wacky noises for my compositions. I’m hoping maybe it has something to do with the “master envelope” settings or something. I always start from the “new sound” solo sine wave patch so I don’t really know how any of this could get messed up.

There are tons of factory patches that don’t do this though so I’m just confused.

Thanks,
JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Also I haven fm8 and all the other Komplete synths. This is the only one that’s giving me trouble. Before anybody asks also, I’m not having these issues during tempo changes or anything like that. It seems to track tempo changes pretty well, but it still drifts off with or without them.

I don't really have your meaning "They" seem to drift; I'm assuming you have Grid ON and you can see the point where it loops. What does the envelope do in between which is drifting off? Do you mean the result of the breakpoints don't agree with where they appear?

I'd have to look at it.

If I have five envelopes running through a 1 bar loop, the little line that shows where in the envelope the sound is will get out of sync between them all and pretty quickly too grid is on and sync is on and this only seems to happen with “loop” mode for the envelope (which is kinda what I wanna do). Usually by the third time through the loop, the little red (playback heads) are off by two or 3 grid lines. It’s odd. I’m hoping I’m just messing something up. This mostly happens after quite a bit of editing, so hopefully I’m screwing something up that I can stop screwing up.

I do see the red line pause when things begin to go out of whack. I don’t know why though.

Did you contact NI support? Did they answer?

I did. They didn’t. They pretty much never do. I have like 20 tickets out of maybe 25 starting with Kontakt 1 open with them. Most of those 20 haven’t gotten more than an automated “we’ll check it out”.

are you working with samples or just synth OSC's?

Both. The samples aren’t loops though when I use them. Usually just a neat sound stretched way out in granular mode. Can samples throw things off somehow?

That was going to be my next question. Yes, I would think the length of the samples might work as some determinant.

OK - I asked Brian Clevinger about this (thanks as always, sir!). His response:

"What he probably wants is retrigger mode, which will stay in sync. Loop envelope mode is free and hard to sync. I should have probably named it something other than "loop"..."

HTH,

ew
A spectral heretic...

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:10 pm Both. The samples aren’t loops though when I use them. Usually just a neat sound stretched way out in granular mode. Can samples throw things off somehow?
yes, i could be wrong, but seem to remember samples don't auto adjust to tempo so you need to set as many hitpoints as possible in the sample osc, hence forcing it to resync

ew wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 pm OK - I asked Brian Clevinger about this (thanks as always, sir!). His response:

"What he probably wants is retrigger mode, which will stay in sync. Loop envelope mode is free and hard to sync. I should have probably named it something other than "loop"..."

HTH,

ew
or that :)

i just tested it, yes, loop sets in an offset

sample Osc "x" jump set on rettriger + sync and it should work

Hey hey hey! Thanks EW! That may be just what I need. Will try asap.

Return to “Instruments”