2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 pm nice! :tu:
the big muff through the mxr is a nice enough dave gilmour sound without giving the bank manager a heart attack too :hihi:
i don't have the pi, just a regular and i want the triangle too. they all have a slightly different sweet spot, and i love me some fuzz :D
Yep, the Big Muff is really good at the DG sound (not quite there, but same kind of sound), and it does sound really sweet with the Carbon Copy.

Years ago I had a Kimbara fuzz, which was a 70s reissue of the 60s Shin-Ei fuzzbox. I let someone borrow it and they lost it. Think I paid less than $100 for it, and they sell for a minimum of about $350 now. I loved the 60s vibe fuzz from that thing (think every song Jesus and Mary Chain ever recorded - they were famous users), and could kill the person who managed to lose it!

my fingers are nothing like dgs either, so the muff is more than close enough :lol:

yeah that's a nice fuzz, the jamc had a great sound 8)
similar to the stooges type fuzz, but jamc added the time fx too :hihi:
but then you had mbv who just washed everything in everything and turned up to 12! :love:

Yep, My Bloody Valentine (well, Kevin Shields, as he apparently played everything but the drums on albums) probably had a kitchen sink pedal too, as you can't say that was left out of the mass of effects.

vurt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:04 pm i see from the other thread youre enjoying it 8)
Yes, more and more. It hardly took me any time at all to get used to Skulpt's "unique" layout and I am finding it super-easy to use now, after just a few hours with it. The bottom end is absolutely huge, often more than my monitors can handle, so I have to keep reigning it in, which is a nice problem to have.

Using endless encoders without any kind of screen/display is a different feeling, let me tell you, but it uses the 16 LEDS on the keyboard to show you approximate values and that works well. There were a few things that weren't easy to work out, like how to load a sequence, but a quick look at the concise, well written manual sorted that out for me. They've done a really good job of making it simple and intuitive, despite the relatively small number of controls. Sometimes it is so easy you overlook it. e.g. Saving presets is s simple matter of holding down the preset button and long-pressing the patch number, which is just about the easiest save procedure I've ever come across, although you do need to know where you are going to save to before you start or you risk overwriting something you wanted to keep (but lots of my hardware is like that).

My only two gripes at the moment are that the type on the front panel is way too small - less than half the size of that on the Uno, for example, and much narrower, too - and the lid is really hard to remove. It slips on easily enough but it doesn't want to come off again. The type size issue is compensated for with a cheat sheet card showing all the key-combos you need for doing everything, so I've been using that, but I still have to find the control on the front panel. The main functions are easy, it's all the tricky things like Chord Mode and Swing, etc.

Here's something weird that I would never have expected in 2019 - today I own more hardware synths than at any other time in the 37 years since I bought my first one. Until 2017 I'd only had one at a time since we'd gone to software (in 2001) but now I have 7 of the buggers (or 10, depending on how you want to count the Analog Keys). Stranger still, two of them are bloody analogue! (Or five of them are, depending on how you want to count the Analog Keys.)

A cull is coming.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

My turn to complain about postal bullshit:

I'm at home from work today, with bad congestion, sore throat, massive headache that comes and goes etc. I figured my one compensation would be that the Rainmaker arrives today and this would give me a few more hours to play with it, if I happened to be awake at the time.

But nope! Instead of coming up the steps with the package and knocking on the door -- which for once I was actually here to answer -- the lazy postman just left a "missed delivery" slip in the mailbox. So I have to get dressed and drag my snot-producing undead carcass to the post office in about 3 hours to pick it up myself.

BONES wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:51 am
My only two gripes at the moment are that the type on the front panel is way too small
is that not just because were getting old? time to give in and get prescription lenses in the oakleys :hihi:

nice to hear youre enjoying it though, for such a small unit it does sound pretty big in the bottom end 8) the vids ive seen do it justice.
sadly nowhere around here with stock to test, but modal look like theyre doing some nice work, worth keeping an eye on.

foosnark wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:58 pm My turn to complain about postal bullshit:

I'm at home from work today, with bad congestion, sore throat, massive headache that comes and goes etc. I figured my one compensation would be that the Rainmaker arrives today and this would give me a few more hours to play with it, if I happened to be awake at the time.

But nope! Instead of coming up the steps with the package and knocking on the door -- which for once I was actually here to answer -- the lazy postman just left a "missed delivery" slip in the mailbox. So I have to get dressed and drag my snot-producing undead carcass to the post office in about 3 hours to pick it up myself.
that sucks!
hopefully when you've set it up you wont care so much 8)

Escrow closed on our new house, we get the keys tomorrow. Any remaining gear budget for the next six months or so will be going to improvements, so that I can get my studio setup. I'll be installing sound treatment and a transition box between my studio and the adjacent room, so I can use our enclosed patio as a live room.

It will be nice to have a dedicated studio room again. I can go back to doing more freelance audio work.

I went to my storage space over the weekend, to see about getting my old gear out. I know there was a leak a few years ago and as a result my TAC mixer got some water damage... however, I didn't realize the extent of the damage. The mixer and my RM2 monitors are destroyed. I had anticipated that possibility but I'm still pretty bummed. I have a set of monitors I can use for now. I hope to get a set of ATC, PMC or Barefoot monitors next year to replace the RM2s. Maybe that can happen later this year. I'll have to discuss it with my financial panther.

I want a financial panther too. Rarrr!

foosnark wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:58 pm My turn to complain about postal bullshit:

Sucks. I'm lucky to have a pick up just 100 metres from where we're living. Fortunately, the postmen here also take their job more serious, and at least ring the beel, and wait a few seconds before vanishing.

ours are so crap i once had a card through the door that read
"unable to deliver, due to driver unable to find address"

how the hell did you put the card through then?

elektron digitone

rmm_76 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:36 pm elektron digitone
and VCV_Rack :wink:

pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:44 pm I want a financial panther too. Rarrr!
You think so huh? You think financial panthers are all fun and games? Rolling around on the floor, being cute and such.

Wrong! Financial panthers are serious!

pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:44 pm I want a financial panther too. Rarrr!
Yes Homer...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”