XLN-Installer - one of the worst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here are my problems with that stupid... :x
Dont be worry, the Plugins are good. :tu:
1. You need to install plugins another installer, i quit making music by this style of installing more than i need. XLN is not alone with that
2. You can´t choose witch plugin do you want to install (standalone, 32, 64 or aax). it istalled all.
3. You can´t setup the installation path easy, you need to go 3 times to the Basic-Path for only 2 Versions of the plugin, if u have your own plugin-folder.
After Setup a New Folder i CANT us it...if u se a Folder named "XLN Audio 64", by an existing Folder named "XLN Audio" the Plugin closed.
4. You can not copy, paste or edit the Folder-Path, it pop up a small Windows-Explorer and you need to clickbait to you favorised Plugin-Path
5. The aax-plugin is installed anywhere on the system, still and hidden, without asking anything, in my case under:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins\XO.aaxplugin\Contents\x64
Of Course there some other Plugin some Folders above....but...
6. If you want uninstall the installer, you need first login, then answer the question if u want to uninstall all plugins...rly...do i wanna uninstall all plugin now? maybe? But it works...i think.
7. If I want to setup the 32 bit-folder, i can´t, because a error mentioned it is in use...a fresh folder, no installation going on, is still in use?
8. one times the installer freezed, after setup a new installation path
9. Finally, after installation the path was wrong. Now installing the installer again. :roll:

So many work and clicks for needless extra stuff. For just one 64-bit Plugin.
This need just a fresh Rebuild. :!:

Interesting observations. I guess because I own so much XLN stuff, I haven't really tried to optimize it for a specific plugin. You've raised some good points. For me it is really very stable, auto updates libraries and repairs things if I mess up my hard drive.

I forgot to write this was just for the XO Plugin.
I dont own other Plugins from XLN.
So the first contact was a bit forbidding.

Of course, sometimes for libraries or a lot of updating stuff, it can be handy.
But not this Thing.

I can just talk for me, when i just download updates from the web site.
I know this practice from Native, whats working fine, nice relocation and so on...

Its a pain when loading a new Plug, and install everytime a installer first, to get just one Plug.
For Native Complete understandable, because its a set.

And when that installer must be, than it should be better, as i already wrote.

Otherwise, I would hold back to buy other products from XLN, remebering the complications.

Yeah... valid feedback. I think these installer managers make the assumption that you are going to be buying into a catalog of plugins not just a one here and there. XLN is my main drummer software so in that sense it is a fit for me as I have picked up almost everything that they sell. If it was just XO I wanted, the XLN Installer manager would be a pain. Great points.

I installed the EC20 yesterday. I had also problems at first but than it went smooth.

Annoying. I do like XLN because they are not iLok and they have (or had in my case) very helpful and prompt customer service. For that alone I recommend them. Shout out to Garritan for the same reasons.

Yeah, now i have no problems, it runs fine here...and XO it a rly nice TOOL too !!! Like it a lot !!!
Lets see if anthing happens with the Installer :)
stay tuned.
cheers.

I actually like it. I have a bunch of products and it makes it easy to upgrade and take care of things all in one go. And there is a way to select the install path. Maybe contact support, they were pretty good at getting back to me.

Btw: are you using some kind of translate program capri? Really hard to get what you’re saying.
W11 i9-13900K, 64GB Cubase, UAD/Motu Monitor 8 front end and more plugins then I ever actually need :D

As Installer programs go I found this fine and quite easy to use.

musicdoc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:40 pm I actually like it. I have a bunch of products and it makes it easy to upgrade and take care of things all in one go. And there is a way to select the install path. Maybe contact support, they were pretty good at getting back to me.

Btw: are you using some kind of translate program capri? Really hard to get what you’re saying.
Okay, but u read what i means, what my case is. I know how to select the path but its not logic.
Why the Installer can´t simple remember the path i use? ... and so on.

Translation:
I use "mate translate" -addon for words, sometimes for phrases and actually not "grammarly" and i bit of my bad english.
Feel free to ask.

capracan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:14 pm Yeah, now i have no problems, it runs fine here...and XO it a rly nice TOOL too !!! Like it a lot !!!
Lets see if anthing happens with the Installer :)
stay tuned.
cheers.
Nope. It's been like this for years. Half the time I just physically move the DLLs myself and deal with the constant error messages.

Ugh I've been spending an HOUR trying to get it to install in the spot where Ableton is going to scan for plugins. That is UN ACCEPTABLE. there is no intuitive solution. Make a new folder in a sub-folder of my VST folder, try to tell it to install the VST64 there in the dialogue. "You cannot use this file because it already in use!" then a string of a truncated version of the install path. I sincerely don't get it.

capracan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:37 pm
musicdoc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:40 pm I actually like it. I have a bunch of products and it makes it easy to upgrade and take care of things all in one go. And there is a way to select the install path. Maybe contact support, they were pretty good at getting back to me.

Okay, but u read what i means, what my case is. I know how to select the path but its not logic.
Why the Installer can´t simple remember the path i use? ... and so on.

Translation:
I use "mate translate" -addon for words, sometimes for phrases and actually not "grammarly" and i bit of my bad english.
Feel free to ask.
I'm struggling so much, still

Interesting, I always thought about the XLN Installer as one of the prime example how every company should do it. I find it very comfortable, simple, fast.

I have XLN Addictive Keys (sound data) on a non system NVME drive.
The same applies to Waves Central, wasting space on unused plugin formats.

Installing products on an external drive
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Return to “Instruments”