New Waves Update Plan Terms

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
PieBerger
KVRist
258 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am

rewrite history wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 am
PieBerger wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:35 am
I'm not under the spell of gas though,and least not so strongly that it's affecting my ability to be critical of an objectively shitty business practice. I'm probably on the low end of average for a KVRer in number of plugins owned and I try to think carefully about what I buy. I'm only human, so I'm bound to make a bad decision despite best efforts and naturally as I move through (producer) life my tastes and needs can change and I may need new tools to help me solve different problems. With regards to my Gold license, I'd actually like to sell it or at least gift it because I want to pair down my plugin collection and focus more on the tools that I prefer to use in their place. So despite your own experiences, I'm not just the another producer looking for the next plugin fix, I'd just like to be able to get a small percentage of my investment back or at the very least be able to gift it to someone without being punished for it.
All I can say about that is, people and the Gold bundle have been producing Gold records for decades, so it's surely not the bundle. But what do I know, I'm not you.
I'm not hating on the bundle, only that upon discovering other tools that are better suited to my needs, my tastes, my workflow, I am being held to ransom by a shitty license transfer policy and cannot even give my license away for it. I don't believe in sticking with something if it doesn't suite me, just because other people manage. At the time of purchase I thought it would right for me, but after a number of years being exposed to alternative products, I've decided that I'd be better off without it. Presumably you're not still eating pureed baby food, despite the fact that it could sustain you well enough, because as you've grown in your life, you've come to appreciate different foodstuffs that you prefer. There's nothing wrong with pureed babyfood, it's just not for you anymore (or maybe it is, I don't know :D )
Always Read the Manual!

User avatar
Teksonik
KVRAF
12463 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:34 am

Over the years I have received a few free Waves plugins during the Holidays two of which are version 9x. So spurred on by this thread I thought I would check them out again but....here's what I "own":

Waves 2.png
And here's what I'm going to have to download to get them installed and working again even though I already have the version 10 Waves Central installed for a free version 10 plugin.

Waves.png

3.3 gigs just to install two simple plugins. :roll:

It's just another case where my decision to never buy a Waves plugin and never infect my studio computer with their bloatware has proven to be an incredibly wise one. :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
11302 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

?

The offline installer includes all plugins. Either install online or delete the offline installer afterward. Honestly, making a mountain out of a mole hill.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

chk071
KVRAF
19902 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:57 am

KVR hates Waves. What's new?

User avatar
krabbencutter
KVRist
401 posts since 12 Jul, 2013

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:02 am

So glad this topic turned into another fruitful Waves-Rant <3 :hug: :love:
I build stuff for REAKTOR, just in case anyone cares :party:

User avatar
popskull
KVRist
183 posts since 22 Dec, 2009

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:57 am

New WUP conditions means you can’t combine plugins into the WUP within the 240 cap extending coverage over a year. Plugins already in 12 months when added go on top of the 240 sometimes at 50 a plugin. This means your plugins are on different version which is annoying some on WUP some out of WUP unless you pay over 240. That’s a big change , another WUP change, another goalpost shift.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3404 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:03 pm

popskull wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:57 am
New WUP conditions means you can’t combine plugins into the WUP within the 240 cap extending coverage over a year. Plugins already in 12 months when added go on top of the 240 sometimes at 50 a plugin. This means your plugins are on different version which is annoying some on WUP some out of WUP unless you pay over 240. That’s a big change , another WUP change, another goalpost shift.
i'll be honest. i have no idea what this means. it's all gotten too complicated for me.

chk071
KVRAF
19902 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Same here. :lol: I don't even know what WUP means exactly. :) Some kind of fee for... updates. Or something. Don't care, don't need. I don't buy +1 year insurance for my TV either.

Maybe i'd think different if i owned a Mac, and some Waves plugins stop working at some point on newer OS's.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3404 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:13 pm

chk071 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Same here. :lol: I don't even know what WUP means exactly. :) Some kind of fee for... updates. Or something. Don't care, don't need. I don't buy +1 year insurance for my TV either.

Maybe i'd think different if i owned a Mac, and some Waves plugins stop working at some point on newer OS's.
glad i'm not the only one confused, but tbh, you don't own your plugins, you are just borrowing them for a little while from waves, so it's insurance incase you brake what you borrow. :bang: :bang:

reggie1979
KVRist
461 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:45 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with it. On one hand, I guess it doesn't effect me, but they make you feel guilty for not upgrading. :roll:

As long as they work I guess I don't care*

*mixhub is a weird beast. I have phantom bugs with it like the mouse pointer disappearing.

User avatar
Tj Shredder
KVRAF
2483 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:48 pm

The platin on sale is cheaper than wup for gold... wup is for people who can‘t calculate... Any voucher which you cannot be put on sales is useless, as the sale gives you more %... I had to skip all my NI vouchers for the same reason...

mixtur.se
KVRist
58 posts since 24 Aug, 2017

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm

Dasheesh wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:13 pm
chk071 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Same here. :lol: I don't even know what WUP means exactly. :) Some kind of fee for... updates. Or something. Don't care, don't need. I don't buy +1 year insurance for my TV either.

Maybe i'd think different if i owned a Mac, and some Waves plugins stop working at some point on newer OS's.
glad i'm not the only one confused, but tbh, you don't own your plugins, you are just borrowing them for a little while from waves, so it's insurance incase you brake what you borrow. :bang: :bang:

mixtur.se
KVRist
58 posts since 24 Aug, 2017

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 pm

mixtur.se wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm
Dasheesh wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:13 pm
chk071 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm
Same here. :lol: I don't even know what WUP means exactly. :) Some kind of fee for... updates. Or something. Don't care, don't need. I don't buy +1 year insurance for my TV either.

Maybe i'd think different if i owned a Mac, and some Waves plugins stop working at some point on newer OS's.
glad i'm not the only one confused, but tbh, you don't own your plugins, you are just borrowing them for a little while from waves, so it's insurance incase you brake what you borrow. :bang: :bang:
You don’t own any plugins, you own a license to use them.

WUP is the equivalent of paying for maintenance and support which is common for most business software. Waves is used by a lot of professionals who might be willing to pay for support and to keep their plugins working on new platforms and hardware etc.

emulator01
KVRist
119 posts since 8 Dec, 2006 from Germany

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi all,

is it much chaeaper to buy WUP from Re-Sellers?
Buying from Waves would cost me the maximum amount of $240.

User avatar
Aloysius
KVRAF
23457 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from the Land of Soy

Re: New Waves Update Plan Terms

Post Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 pm

I got WUP from AudioDeluxe at a much reduced price. Due to their T&C I can't tell you how much.

http://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/waves-wup-renewal

For your Custom Waves WUP renewal quote please follow the instructions below:

Click on MAKE OFFER.
Enter the Price you want to pay for your WUP renewal.

In the comment section please enter your GUID from Waves (please see below for instructions on obtaining your GUID).

GUID Instructions:

Go to the Waves Update Plan page: https://www.waves.com/login?returnurl=% ... pdate-plan
Select the products to renew.
Click on “Buying from your local dealer?”
Send the Waves Update Plan code (GUID) to your email address.
Broccoli is murder.

Return to “Effects”