Why Can't We Get A CS-80 VST That Actually Sounds Like a CS-80?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We certainly have the technology. Emulations like the PolyM and The Legend prove that. So why can't we get a CS-80 that actually sounds like a CS-80? No, what's available now does NOT sound like a CS-80 regardless of which emulation you think is better. That's irrelevant. I couldn't care less. They both suck, as far as I'm concerned.

So why can't SOMEBODY finally do this right?

And yes, I want to do a CS-80 cover but don't even dare with what's available.

Discuss.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pm I couldn't care less.
no opinion on the cs80 business, but i am impressed with this.
most of you americans get it wrong and say "i could care less" which implies a level of caring in the positive.
i couldn't care less means there is no caring and i cant go lower, were at zero!

so well done :)

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 pm
most of you americans get it wrong and say "i could care less" which implies a level of caring in the positive.
i couldn't care less means there is no caring and i cant go lower, were at zero!

Thanks. Curious. What do you think of the CS-80 as a synth. Were you impressed by it? Did you think it was so-so? Did you hate it? It was one of the more popular synths back in the day and Vangelis took it to a new level. Certainly there has to be a demand for such a "popular" instrument regardless of what you think of it personally.

ive never actually had my hands on one, so can only comment in regards to recordings.
the works vangelis did with it, well, id be an idiot to say there was anything "wrong" with it. some of the pad sounds :love:
but tbh theres very few synths i would say were shite, none by any of the big names even, they all do their thing.
i can certainly see a demand for it, id imagine a lot of people here would admit to being influenced by at least one of its users back in the day (wasn't vince clarke a big cs80 guy for a bit? i could be misremembering...) so many might be seeking "that sound"
and ive not tried any of the emulations so cant say how far or close they are :shrug:

ps: i was actually serious about the being impressed :hihi:

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pm

Discuss.
Why, none sound as good as the one in your studio?
(have you ever played one?)

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:35 pm ps: i was actually serious about the being impressed :hihi:
LOL

Well, the Arturia version is fuzzy and distorted in the presets they give you, but there are libraries available that seem to get much closer to that sound that so many of us expect. I've noticed the same is true with their Jupiter, which I find atrocious, but that those other libraries are better. So maybe it's not the plugin as much as it is the programming?
And isn't that your venture?

Oddly enough, I use half of the CS to layer with the Vox to get what I remember from the YC. Not for the Synth sounds.
vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 pm

And "you Americans"? Traveling through the Hostels, I've found those linguistic inconsistencies to be worldwide. Seems nationality has very little to do with it. So maybe stick to the topic instead?

And it's we're, not were. ;)
Last edited by BBFG# on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 pm And "you Americans"? Traveling through the Hostels, I've found those linguistic inconsistencies to be worldwide. Seems nationality had very little to do with it. Do maybe stick to the topic instead?
sorry if i offended you having a joke with a friend :hug:

AudioAlien wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Discuss.
I never played a Minimoog, but definitely spot a bad emulation.

AudioAlien wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Discuss.
I actually owned the model without aftertouch (CS-60) and even THAT sounds better than the emulations.

That aside, nothing comes close to Vangelis' recordings. The emulations are laughable.

I've always seen the CS as an organ with synth controls rather than a some sort of super synth. Never impressed, given its price. Then or now. So the emulations, good or bad, are always a better bet for me. I go through this with every emulation though. Baited by nostalgia, disappointed in demo. Then remembering the things where the original hardware actually annoyed me or even falls short of these Photoshop "replicas".

Arturia gets me to hate IK and love U-he more.

Just hoping some company will make better versions of the transitor organs now.

I have no idea what you are looking for TBH. All this "sounds exactly like" business is a software thing. Those analog boards sounded different every time you turned them on so, I mean it's easy to forget just how different everything was with analog. A whole different animal. Now a lot of stuff does this or that and you piece it together to get what you want, and to me the closest I've heard in software behavior is the PolyKB. Would have bought it years ago if i didn't have to fondle a dong to use it. https://www.xils-lab.com/products/polyk ... p-159.html

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm I have no idea what you are looking for TBH. All this "sounds exactly like" business is a software thing. Those analog boards sounded different every time you turned them on so, I mean it's easy to forget just how different everything was with analog. A whole different animal. Now a lot of stuff does this or that and you piece it together to get what you want, and to me the closest I've heard in software behavior is the PolyKB. Would have bought it years ago if i didn't have to fondle a dong to use it. https://www.xils-lab.com/products/polyk ... p-159.html
Know what? Go listen to a Vangelis recording and tell me any of the CS-80 emulations sound as good, which has nothing to do with anything you said above.

What about Memorymoons take one the cs 80?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Instruments”