Why Can't We Get A CS-80 VST That Actually Sounds Like a CS-80?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i'm not going to say i'll never jump in this again, but the U-he pro took a long time because of fm. fm is the big test for software synths. i'll let you go from here but maybe revisit later.

pepelogu wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 pm Wagtunes is right. A proper CS-80 emulation is sadly missing. However, it will come, I wouldn't be suprised if some company is already on it. Most of the other synth legends are already done emulation-wise.
Emulating a CS-80 has one problem that other synths do not... it had the Poly AT and Ribbon. Not many people have the means to play an emulation as the original could be played.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:01 pm
pepelogu wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 pm Wagtunes is right. A proper CS-80 emulation is sadly missing. However, it will come, I wouldn't be suprised if some company is already on it. Most of the other synth legends are already done emulation-wise.
agree.

Emulating a CS-80 has one problem that other synths do not... it had the Poly AT and Ribbon. Not many people have the means to play an emulation as the original could be played.

agree^^*

In the music stores I worked at in the nineties, I saw about three ensoniqs come in for repairs almost daily. We started saying that EPS stood for Everybody's POS! I also feel that the alignment with Emu contributed to the Emu demise. So I'd definitely take an emulation over the real thing where they're concerned.

First: what made this simple track a hype as hell techno classic? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCriNPPUgZc

secondly. give me a fizmo.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:01 pm Emulating a CS-80 has one problem that other synths do not... it had the Poly AT and Ribbon. Not many people have the means to play an emulation as the original could be played.
With the Roli keyboards (excuse me, Seaboards), I feel like that isn't quite the hurdle it used to be.

hint: the answer is much like nature. Variation. we went over this all last decade tho.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:20 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:10 pmI never thought the Bladerunner soundtrack is so special, for example.
Do you also dislike chocolate?...Sex?

Either way, it was not the CS80 that made that soundtrack special, it was the composer :shrug:
You know... i think my mother (or father) listened to Vangelis, and, i simply despise everything they listened to. :D (Nothing against my parents... i love them. But, music wise, i'm quite far away from their taste) Beatles, Bee Gees, Al Jarreau... the only thing i can listen to halfway is Phil Collins/Genesis. The rest, you know how it is.

Again, though, i can't really see what's so special about the Blade Runner soundtrack. To each his own. I'm more into game soundtracks anyway. Hardly ever listened to a movie soundtrack, and was able to remember if afterwards. It's -> ear ->.

Actually, when i think about it, i never quite got the Blade Runner hype at all. I guess i'm more a 90's movies guy. Except for the obvious ones, like Alien, which is superb, of course. Also soundtrack wise, Jerry Goldsmith simply rocks, one of the few i really remember, he did some great scores for Star Trek as well.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:16 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:01 pm Emulating a CS-80 has one problem that other synths do not... it had the Poly AT and Ribbon. Not many people have the means to play an emulation as the original could be played.
With the Roli keyboards (excuse me, Seaboards), I feel like that isn't quite the hurdle it used to be.
For an individual... sure... but not many people have them... I would consider that as a developer when deciding to put the time into developing it

Absolutely. Maybe Roli themselves should do it! :P

Just buy a Deckard's Dream

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 pm You're very hard to like Wags
Hard for you. I find it impossible! :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

My guess is that it’s coming. Maybe in an Arturia update, maybe from someone else. Why? There are only so many “iconic” synths. Is someone else going to do a Model D emulation? Probably not. Prophet 5? Why bother? Odyssey? Waste of time. Sooner or later all the low hanging fruit will be done and developers will have to take a crack at it. At the very least, for bragging rights. Even if they only break even, it would create a ton of buzz and probably generate sales of other offerings from that developer. For instance, Valhalla Delay got me to buy Shimmer, which I’d been putting off for some reason.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:23 pm My guess is that it’s coming. Maybe in an Arturia update, maybe from someone else. Why? There are only so many “iconic” synths. Is someone else going to do a Model D emulation? Probably not. Prophet 5? Why bother? Odyssey? Waste of time. Sooner or later all the low hanging fruit will be done and developers will have to take a crack at it. At the very least, for bragging rights. Even if they only break even, it would create a ton of buzz and probably generate sales of other offerings from that developer. For instance, Valhalla Delay got me to buy Shimmer, which I’d been putting off for some reason.
yep, I understand where you are coming from/ we have done the whole 80s-90's even the 70's. its time to hand it over. it is obviously time for a softsynth to exploit the possibilities. few even try. Dune is a hype softsynth and I'm digging on a handful of others. mpower/arcsyn/lush101/repro. there are options not being developed tho because cash is the name of the game.. even in music. that means lowest common denominator. lcd gets grammy's.

Return to “Instruments”