Why Can't We Get A CS-80 VST That Actually Sounds Like a CS-80?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:20 pmSo why can't SOMEBODY finally do this right?
Because finally people have realised the pointlessness of it in the face of what modern synths can do?
And yes, I want to do a CS-80 cover but don't even dare with what's available.
I don't need to sound like The Sisters of Mercy to do a The Sisters of Mercy cover or Ultravox to do an Ultravox cover so why would you need something that sounds like a CS80 to do a CS80 cover? The whole idea of a cover is to take the original and infuse it with your own mojo, not to slavishly reproduce it note by note, sound by sound. That's just pointless and a little bit sad, if I'm honest.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

:arrow:
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 pm First: what made this simple track a hype as hell techno classic?
I can't believe how dated and horrible that sounds. It makes me feel a lot less bad about stuff I was doing back then.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I second a GX1 emulation but that's a pipe dream. I have zero hope of that ever happening.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:07 am I second a GX1 emulation but that's a pipe dream. I have zero hope of that ever happening.
Have faith, Wags! :harp:
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:02 am
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 pm First: what made this simple track a hype as hell techno classic?
I can't believe how dated and horrible that sounds. It makes me feel a lot less bad about stuff I was doing back then.

:lol:

goldenanalog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:22 am
wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:07 am I second a GX1 emulation but that's a pipe dream. I have zero hope of that ever happening.
I guess that I have more faith in a GX1 emulation becoming a reality then you do, Wags! Sometimes: it's the thing that "fires the imagination" that creates the impetus for a massive project like a GX1/'Super' CS-80 software emulation would be. Let's face it: the fact that fully-endowed Synclaviers were super expensive (quarter-to-half a mil US) created the "need" for the machine to be emulated/reborn (and even improved upon!) in software - I see the GX1 - perhaps the most elaborate stand-alone synthesizer (that looks just like an organ :hihi: ) of all time - in precisely the same cross-hairs...and wouldn't it be brilliant if/when it was? That would give you both a CS-80 *and* a mono Yami synth in one go -
Sure, it would be wonderful. So would an Andromeda. So would a Schmidt.

I've got a better chance nailing Angelina Joli.

I'd rather have a CS-80 emulation than a GX1

but don't worry... Behringer will make a hardware clone for $500

I'd rather push synthesis into the future instead of back to the past.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 am I'd rather push synthesis into the future instead of back to the past.
Fine, let's push it into the future so far that they make a synth that can sound like anything imaginable, including any synth previously made or any synth not yet even thought of. Total pure sound that can be infinitely manipulated. Imagine the sound in your mind and through electrical impulses, that sound is created in the synth.

Sure, I'm all for the future.

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 am I'd rather push synthesis into the future instead of back to the past.
No reason not to do both...

Yup, old and new is a pretty compelling combo.

Played a GX back in the day, was sad my parents weren't rich enough to buy one.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 amI'd rather push synthesis into the future instead of back to the past.
Agreeing with this man makes me physically ill but when he's right, he's right.
Last edited by BONES on Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:19 am
Teksonik wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 amI'd rather push synthesis into the future instead of back to the past.
Agreeing with this many makes me physically ill but when he's right, he's right.
I'm all for the future. Give me a synth that can sound like anything my mind can imagine. We'll put every other synth manufacturer out of business.

Return to “Instruments”