Juno emulation plugins

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Jwpar22
KVRer
29 posts since 9 Dec, 2017

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:45 am

https://youtu.be/bXSWDoQA2PQ

https://youtu.be/Bx6vN8lUTlI

Im guessing that the main synths in these tracks are from a Juno. I also guess the Juno has an arpeggiator to achieve the sequence in the tracks posted.

Redominator is supposed to be a good emulation would it make the sounds in these tracks?

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6571 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am

The best ones are Tal-Uno-LX for a Juno-60 and the Roland Cloud 106 for a 106.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am
The best ones are Tal-Uno-LX for a Juno-60 and the Roland Cloud 106 for a 106.
The 60 and 106 are exactly the same synth though isnt it? One of them are without the arpeggiator if i recall correctly.
Don't be a Sheep. :borg:

AnX
KVRAF
4383 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 am

Jwpar22 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:45 am


Im guessing that the main synths in these tracks are from a Juno.
what makes you say that?

Jwpar22
KVRer
29 posts since 9 Dec, 2017

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:40 pm

AnX wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:57 am
Jwpar22 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:45 am


Im guessing that the main synths in these tracks are from a Juno.
what makes you say that?
I was under the impression that was a Juno sound.

User avatar
Gamma-UT
KVRAF
4709 posts since 8 Jun, 2009 from UK

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 am
The 60 and 106 are exactly the same synth though isnt it? One of them are without the arpeggiator if i recall correctly.
Different voice chips. The later 106 has an integrated voice/filter chip that was probably cheaper for Roland to assemble. Although the designers may have meant the 106 to be a straight MIDI upgrade of the 60, the different components mean it has a slightly different sound - typically softer than the 60.

User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:49 pm

Gamma-UT wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:45 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 am
The 60 and 106 are exactly the same synth though isnt it? One of them are without the arpeggiator if i recall correctly.
Different voice chips. The later 106 has an integrated voice/filter chip that was probably cheaper for Roland to assemble. Although the designers may have meant the 106 to be a straight MIDI upgrade of the 60, the different components mean it has a slightly different sound - typically softer than the 60.
Thanks. :)
Don't be a Sheep. :borg:

User avatar
ATN69
KVRAF
1929 posts since 5 Oct, 2015 from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Back in the day I had the Juno 60 and my friend had the Juno 106. The sound difference was quite significant. I know there are no good words to cover how a sound actually sounds like but the Juno 60 felt a bit warmer and more fat. Both had arpeggiator. I have the TAL-UNO-LX and it’s not bad when it comes to modelling the Juno 60. Even the famous Roland chorus is nice in the TAL
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

User avatar
dionenoid
KVRist
140 posts since 3 Jan, 2019

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Jwpar22 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:45 am
Redominator is supposed to be a good emulation would it make the sounds in these tracks?
Redominator is an emulation of the Alpha Juno (or MKS-50 which was basically the rack version).
I'm pretty sure it can make those sounds, but keep in mind that the lead in those tracks sounds like it is mid-sweeped : they used the mid eq sweep on an analog mixer to make it sound like a sort of filter (a trick that was often used back in the days).
There's lots of synths around that allow you to fake that effect internally, but Redominator needs an external eq to do that.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6571 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Halonmusic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am
The best ones are Tal-Uno-LX for a Juno-60 and the Roland Cloud 106 for a 106.
The 60 and 106 are exactly the same synth though isnt it? One of them are without the arpeggiator if i recall correctly.
No not at all, as others have pointed out. Same architecture and chorus. But very different sounding oscillators (not sure about the filter). The 60 is much punchier and tighter. The 106 I’d say is softer and you might say creamier. I think if I could only have one it would be the 60, but I really like having emulations of both.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

Jwpar22
KVRer
29 posts since 9 Dec, 2017

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:40 pm

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:06 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am
The best ones are Tal-Uno-LX for a Juno-60 and the Roland Cloud 106 for a 106.
The 60 and 106 are exactly the same synth though isnt it? One of them are without the arpeggiator if i recall correctly.
No not at all, as others have pointed out. Same architecture and chorus. But very different sounding oscillators (not sure about the filter). The 60 is much punchier and tighter. The 106 I’d say is softer and you might say creamier. I think if I could only have one it would be the 60, but I really like having emulations of both.
You've just answered a long time question of mine! I assumed the filter sweep was happening within the synth itself.

User avatar
Halonmusic
KVRAF
2073 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:15 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:06 pm
Halonmusic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:04 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am
The best ones are Tal-Uno-LX for a Juno-60 and the Roland Cloud 106 for a 106.
The 60 and 106 are exactly the same synth though isnt it? One of them are without the arpeggiator if i recall correctly.
No not at all, as others have pointed out. Same architecture and chorus. But very different sounding oscillators (not sure about the filter). The 60 is much punchier and tighter. The 106 I’d say is softer and you might say creamier. I think if I could only have one it would be the 60, but I really like having emulations of both.
Then I have heard wrong. I must also mention that i have never played a 60/106 before either.
Don't be a Sheep. :borg:

User avatar
Tronam
KVRAF
1626 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:00 am

I used to think Tal-Uno-LX was a good Juno 60/106 emulation until I compared it to an actual 106 and couldn’t believe how dissimilar they were. Some of the personality is present since it simulates the controls, sliders and oscillator types, but it barely resembles the sound in any meaningful way. The Roland Cloud 106 is much more representative. Heck, even Omnisphere gets closer to capturing the tone. ReDominator is fantastic, but it’s modeling the Alpha Juno series.

Musicisbest
KVRist
252 posts since 6 Sep, 2004

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am
The best ones are Tal-Uno-LX for a Juno-60 and the Roland Cloud 106 for a 106.
You cant get any better then Tal-Uno-LX.

sacer
KVRian
542 posts since 8 Jan, 2012 from frankfurt, Germany

Re: Juno emulation plugins

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 am

Musicisbest wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am
The best ones are Tal-Uno-LX for a Juno-60 and the Roland Cloud 106 for a 106.
You cant get any better then Tal-Uno-LX.
+1

Return to “Instruments”