Why Can't We Get A CS-80 VST That Actually Sounds Like a CS-80?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 am
I'm all for the future. Give me a synth that can sound like anything my mind can imagine. We'll put every other synth manufacturer out of business.
With that crazy list of incredible synths you own, if you can't sound design whatever you want and have in mind with any of these, it's a skill problem you have not a synth one.

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 am
I'm all for the future. Give me a synth that can sound like anything my mind can imagine. We'll put every other synth manufacturer out of business.
With that crazy list of incredible synths you own, if you can't sound design whatever you want and have in mind with any of these, it's a skill problem you have not a synth one.
I have plenty of synths and am happy with my sound design skills... I'd still like a RePro quality CS-80 emulation...

I'd rather push synthesis sideways instead of back to the future.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Wagtunes, try Arminator 2 (with Kujashi's presets (Armin Schiffbauer), after whom Krakli's CS80 emu was named).

For myself I use all 3 of the current emus. And they all can do something unique and sound complementary.

Even with Arturia's version 1 I've been able to do magnificent Vangelis brasses, SFX, and keys, over a decade ago. You just have to know how to do the initial preset properly and then how to process it right. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Also, the factory presets that come with Arturia synths (along with most Xils synths) are some of the worst presets in synth history, they actually make you believe that you have an absolute p.o.s on your hands, when quite the opposite is true.

Some people really don't know how to make good presets, whilst others excel at it and simply inspire, across all of the various types of sounds and the synths to which they contribute.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 amI'm all for the future. Give me a synth that can sound like anything my mind can imagine. We'll put every other synth manufacturer out of business.
And yet, here you are talking up the value of a return to the 1970s.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:01 am
wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 amI'm all for the future. Give me a synth that can sound like anything my mind can imagine. We'll put every other synth manufacturer out of business.
And yet, here you are talking up the value of a return to the 1970s.
An emulation has it's merits but it should not be a goal on itself.
Why should a sound from the past per definition be better than something newer.
I absolutely adore Trance pads; the pads from the CS-80 are very nice for sure but I'd take a Trance pad over it any time (on a pure sound basis; depending on the emotion you want to project, you need another flavor of course).

Having all the synths that you own, not having a pure CS-80 should not be a problem.

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 am
This! He has like 200 synths or something :?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

How many listeners will spot the difference between a real analogue synth and a vst?

https://soundcloud.com/kv331synthmaster ... -ubukata-5

(I guess that most vst synths have factory presets or analogue preset expansions that cover most of these sounds.)

Aren't GX-1 and CS-80 renown for their performance features, not for their "sound"?
Is there anything special about the sound of Yamaha synthesizers?

from the same maker for cs-80 v, and other v collection synths;

https://soundcloud.com/nori-ubukata/vangelis-demo-1-mix

https://soundcloud.com/nori-ubukata/rec ... analog-lab

(by the way i am in to vintage soft synths, yes because of how they sound. but i use them "as is", and for example, with the cs-80, which i use a lot (like a hardware synth, the luck of many controllers...), i can make great, great sounds. so i like the arturia sound...) [disclaimer: opinion based on my own workflow, and the goals i have, so a personal opinion, they work for me in an excellent way]

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 am With that crazy list of incredible synths you own, if you can't sound design whatever you want and have in mind with any of these, it's a skill problem you have not a synth one.
This!

An example: same synth, different sound designer:
https://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/azs-e ... n-for-hive
https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... new-sounds

I guess it takes some skill to make an awesome synth like Hive sound like a Commodore 64 SID chip :dog:

anomandaris1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:47 am How many listeners will spot the difference between a real analogue synth and a vst?
That argument always misses the point. Which is inspiration. I get much more inspired playing a Moog emulation, and i much more dig the sound as well, than, say, with a Korg emulation.

waltercruz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:35 pm Paul Schilling on Arturia CS-80

https://soundcloud.com/paul-schilling/b ... -lead-demo
Now go listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RScZrvTebeA

If you can't tell that the resonance of the Yamaha CS-80 filters blow away Arturia's then I don't know what to tell you.

There is NO comparison. The Arturia is a weak emulation at best.

And mind you, this isn't even one of my favorite pieces of music and isn't even the best example of what the CS-80 can do.

*Ouch* neither of those demos inspire me to want a CS80, real or emulation (based on the sound not the music). :-o
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:48 pm
If you can't tell that the resonance of the Yamaha CS-80 filters blow away Arturia's then I don't know what to tell you.

There is NO comparison. The Arturia is a weak emulation at best.

And mind you, this isn't even one of my favorite pieces of music and isn't even the best example of what the CS-80 can do.
There is something lovely about the original... the sound is so nuanced and organic. The guy did a solid effort with the Arturia version, but it is still missing something. It sounds like a VST...

Return to “Instruments”