Oberheim/Dave Smith OB-6

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
eXode
KVRian
753 posts since 2 Jun, 2004 from Tellus

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 am

Urs wrote:Eek, I sure hope these things have analogue envelopes or faster DACs. I can't bear the stepping, e.g. in DSIs earlier synths.
I'm pretty sure they switched to something more powerful with the Prophet 12 and onward.

Urs
u-he
23515 posts since 8 Aug, 2002 from Berlin

Re: Oberheim/Dave Smith OB-6

Post Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

eXode wrote:
Urs wrote:Eek, I sure hope these things have analogue envelopes or faster DACs. I can't bear the stepping, e.g. in DSIs earlier synths.
I'm pretty sure they switched to something more powerful with the Prophet 12 and onward.
That would make them must haves I guess - I'm gonna try them both :pray:

PatchAdamz
KVRAF
4576 posts since 13 Nov, 2012

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:01 am

cryophonik wrote:I can't believe this hasn't been posted here yet. Looks like Musician's Friend already has the price listed at about $3299 retail and $2999 street.
Ill take 3 please....

eXode
KVRian
753 posts since 2 Jun, 2004 from Tellus

Post Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:38 am

The Prophet 5 was $4495 USD when it was released, which equals to about $16500 USD today. :)

That doesn't mean that $3000 USD isn't a lot of money, but it's still more accessible to people compared to back then.

Ph-J
KVRist
263 posts since 13 May, 2003

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:02 pm

tehlord wrote: There is, but it'll make you sell a kidney. Promise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdnh0C3UpRQ
this was amazing :love:

Ph-J
KVRist
263 posts since 13 May, 2003

Post Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:02 pm

tehlord wrote: There is, but it'll make you sell a kidney. Promise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdnh0C3UpRQ
this was amazing :love:

Hermetech Mastering
KVRian
1041 posts since 30 May, 2003 from Paris

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:37 am

Badly Jonesing for one of these right now. People who've had them a few years, still love them? I am looking for the ultimate pad machine and am pretty sure this is the one.

Mutant
KVRAF
3411 posts since 9 Oct, 2004 from Poland

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:46 am

Hermetech Mastering wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:37 am
I am looking for the ultimate pad machine and am pretty sure this is the one.
6 voice polyphony is a bit low for pads with longer than very short release times, so when you go to the shop to try/purchase, be sure to get 2 and polychain them. :)
Also if you want these pads to nicely evolve, you will need more than just 1 LFO.
There is a guy on GS that makes an "expander" for the OB which adds MIDI CC "LFOs".
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:59 am

Cheers, yeah six voices is the cusp I think, any lower and it would be a no-go for me, but I think 6 will be OK for my needs. Definitely want to go and try one out before dropping the cash! Also, I was under the impression you can use the X-mod section as polyphonic LFOs, no? Just watched that 18 part YT series going through all the features and he got some incredibly complex long, slowly evolving pad stuff happening with X-Mod section.

It's either this or a vintage Xpander or Matrix 12 for me I think, although latter probably far more expensive.

ChamomileShark
KVRian
1492 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:16 am

Yes, you can give up one of the oscillators, put it into low frequency mode and use it as a poly LFO.

What was the YT series, Automatic Gainsay?

I wouldn't touch a vintage OB - I know the SEM based ones have a reputation but I bought a Matrix 6R second hand and it developed a major fault within a day or so. Luckily it was via Vemia so I got it sent back and a tech had a look at it and it was practically unfixable. Then I had a Matrix 1000 and when I went to sell it it decided to be a 3 voice synth. IIRC Xpanders have a number of issues - display and whine from the power supply?

For me 6 voices aren't really an issue - I'm going for the more vintage sound/ style (so if a P5 was ok in the past it's ok for what I want to do) or ambient ( so like reverb / delay and say hello to huge pad sounds).

I have to say though, in my limited experience, if I wanted a pad machine I'd go digital - more polyphony for my buck / Yen / Pound / Euro. More likely to have fancy modulation possibilities (I came from an era where you had one LFO and you were grateful).

perfumer
KVRist
290 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:28 am

If they remove the blue stripes, I might consider buying one. But with those and the blinky LED's it's a no go for me. Don't want to have an epileptic seizure while programming a pad.

BTW why use this for pads instead of n+1 vsts is beyond me but hey, if you feel you absolutely MUST do it... At least post some audio demos to awe us.

Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:36 am

Thanks for the info ChamomileShark. I used to own a Matrix1000 in Japan and wish I had never sold it, but the OB-6 stuff I have heard just sounds incredible. Yes, was the Automatic Gainsay series I watched over the last couple of days. Have played with Matrix6Rs, Matrix12s and Xpanders in the past, but agree, would far rather something new with a warranty etc.

Have the digital pads sorted with the Wavestation EX (bought in 1992, plus the Korg Legacy plugin version), but really want an analogue Oberheim poly for those gorgeous strings and pads. Not tried Uhe Diva yet, but see there is an Oberheim OBXA pack for it, so might DL the demo.

Don't really wanna get into the analogue vs. digital debate, suffice to say haven't heard anything digital yet which can nail the sounds I am looking for (think mid period Shamen pads, Pete Namlook etc.), but am prepared to accept they might exist. :) Guess I should get on that Diva demo then as may save me a tonne...

superscan
KVRist
182 posts since 2 Aug, 2013 from USA

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:42 am

I've had mine for almost a year. Coming from the softsyth world, the OB-6 Desktop blew me away. The variable state filter is sublime. It will not leave my collection. Six voices are very powerful and it creates a "wall of sound", so don't get caught up on specs. I can still lose myself for hours with it. They still have regular firmware updates, (minor fixes and enhancements).

Hermetech Mastering
KVRian

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:43 am

Cheers, it is very tempting. They had one at the shop I bought my Grandmother in a couple of weeks ago, so will go back and try it out. It really is the combo of Oberheim SEM style VCOs and SVFs that I am after.

jdoo
KVRist
462 posts since 23 Dec, 2011

Post Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:06 am

I've had my OB-6 for a couple of years - and it's definitely my desert island synth. 6 note polyphony has never been an issue for me, nor most folks I have spoken to. Anyway - if you go the route of picking one up - there is a best known methods (bkm) doc with stuff from around the web (including some stuff from AutomaticGainsay (Marc Doty was generous about allowing me to share some of his tips). Link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s063vn2p9j33 ... .docx?dl=0 G'luck with your purchase!

Joe

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”