Free AU plugin for hosting VST effects

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I always wondered why scanning of all plug-ins is necessary at all. I would only scan vsts I actually want to load, and then put the scan result in a database, so next time I don‘t need to scan that anymore. Even the biggest devs do that terrible scanning and ever so often it will hang the app because one of my plugs (I don’t intend to use anyway) don‘t pass. And on top of it, it takes a long time which should better be done in the background in an independent thread...

I've not been able to get very far with it so far in LPX - it starts a VST scan, then the scan crashes and takes down Logic with it.

Scanning is quite a tricky process, and most people do it by scanning each VST in a separate process, so if a VST crashes on scan, the scan can still carry on scanning the other plugins... And also, if it crashes, it saves it's progress so it can carry on where the scan left off, and skip any crashing plugins.

I *could* start to remove VST plugins in order to get the scan to complete, but in the main I don't install VSTs, and remove them if an installer does it automatically, *but* with some plugins, the VST is required as the Audio Unit just calls the VST plugin, and if it's not there, the AU won't work either. So those ones have to be left in place. And I'm loathe to start removing stuff from my working system at this point...
Last edited by beely on Fri May 10, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it doesn't work in Logic Pro X, High Sierra

Hi Tristam,
Your "Free AU plugin for hosting VST effects" looks like the only VST to AU "wrapper" I could find that has had any development at all since 2018, so I was hoping against hope that it would run on my setup, which is:
MacMini M1 16GB
macOS Monterey 12.3.1
Logic Pro 10.7.4 (in Rosetta mode and M1 Native)
I loaded up your VST-AU-Bridge.component (1.0.4 - beta I think) and after letting it through the Security Prefs it "successfully validated" twice, but was not available in the FX or VI slots in the Software Instruments or Audio channel strips.
I'd really love to use this VST-AU Bridge as there are quite a few new plugin developers with some great "out of the ordinary" audio plugins that only have their most recent effort in AU format, with slightly older VST versions that I'd love to try. I'd bought MetaPlugin a while ago but I can't get it to work with any VST2 or VST3. Please help, PJT (peterjolly333@gmail if appropriate)

Return to “Instruments”