Change the colour of sound

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Once i read in an interview with the band "Kitty, Daisy & Lewis" that they only use original, old recording hardware in order to achieve this old 50s sound, no computers. And they really sound like that on their albums. Kind of old but new. I like the idea of using old hardware, but prefer working with software. Now i was wondering how difficult it would be to achieve another sound just using plugins. Does anyone know some good plugins to change the colour of your sound? I mean aside from the standard EQs, compressors, etc. Searching for suggestions.

Cheers

XLN RC-20 Retro Color

Klevgrand has “DAW cassette” and “DAW LP” both are super fun. Toneboosters “Reelbus4” also has a fair amount of features for changing the fidelity of your sound.

Emulations of old analog hardware are the obvious answer here. But to really get a convincing old sound you also have to consider how they worked back then. I mean common studio tricks like overdriving tape or consoles, but also limitations in the hardware. Old samplers would have abysmal sample rates and use clever filtering to mask it. Imagine you only have one or two compressors (hardware units). Everytime you want use one, it means re-recording that channel through it. So use lots of (subtle) bitcrushing and tape saturation in layers.

Overall make sure you don’t have too much high frequencies, roll these off gently everywhere. If things end up too dark, dial in a generous high end boost near the end on the chain, on the master even. Older music doesn’t usually fill up the high end spectrum nearly as much.

Return to “Effects”