Is there a complete list of plugins that emulate vintage DIGITAL synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dubguy99 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:00 pm Still, I can't image that companies like Yamaha and Korg don't have the code for their old digital synths (they obviously had the code for the M1, Wavestation etc.). I guess there's just not as much demand for vintage digital?
Allegedly, the Korg Z1 can't be produced anymore because they lost the source code, and the person who wrote it is now death. So, that also happens to Korg, or so it seems: viewtopic.php?t=471629
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:38 pm
AnX wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:28 pm synapse poly 850 / x-poly =korg poly 800 (?)
I don't think the Poly 800 qualifies as a "digital" synth.
A little off topic thought...

Um...the synth had DCO’s which is, well, digital controlled oscillators.

The outputs had digital to analog converters...so I think this qualifies it. The Poly800 II was FM so that goes without saying.

thejonsolo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 pm
AnX wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:28 pm synapse poly 850 / x-poly =korg poly 800 (?)

Digitally controlled, NOT digital (the same goes to the Roland Junos, JX-3P, etc.)
thejonsolo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 pm The outputs had digital to analog converters...so I think this qualifies it.
Really? Strange. How come a synth that has analog filters have a DAC output? Still, I own the Korg EX-8000 (which I believe is an upscaled version) and it has no such thing. And I saw no sign of DAC mention in the manual either :shrug:

And the Poly-800 II is NO FM synth either. It's basically the same synth architecture, but with some added functions in the DCOs (which may qualify them as "digital" oscillators) and added with a digital delay. But it still has a VCF so, we may call it a hybrid synth, I guess.

The same goes to the EX-8000, BTW, which can even produce digitally generated waveforms that are more complex than the usual saw, square and pulse (like organ, acoustic piano, harpsichord, el guitar, el pianos, etc.)
Fernando (FMR)

The Korg EX-8000, DW-6000, DW-8000 are definitely hybrids. Digital wavetable oscillators and analog filters. Plus a digital delay on the 8000 series.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

fmr wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:29 pm
dubguy99 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:00 pm Still, I can't image that companies like Yamaha and Korg don't have the code for their old digital synths (they obviously had the code for the M1, Wavestation etc.). I guess there's just not as much demand for vintage digital?
Allegedly, the Korg Z1 can't be produced anymore because they lost the source code, and the person who wrote it is now death. So, that also happens to Korg, or so it seems: viewtopic.php?t=471629
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds...”

It seems to me that a lot of code in hardware tends to get lost. Like when the BBC didn’t have a second thought about bulk erasing decades of television programs, the notion that the code for old hardware would matter in the future was probably not a popular one.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Teksonik wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:34 pm If you define Digital Synth as any that is in some part Digital and not ALL Digital there are so many synths from that era that are missing from the emulation collection. Ensoniq VFX/Fizmo/ESQ-1 (The SQ8-L is abandoned so I don't count it) Korg DW8000, Yamaha FS1R.....etc.
What was not digital in the FS1R?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:06 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:34 pm If you define Digital Synth as any that is in some part Digital and not ALL Digital there are so many synths from that era that are missing from the emulation collection. Ensoniq VFX/Fizmo/ESQ-1 (The SQ8-L is abandoned so I don't count it) Korg DW8000, Yamaha FS1R.....etc.
I simply said "there are so many synths from that era that are missing from the emulation collection". I probably could have worded it better. I forgot that some pedant would come along and dissect what I wrote.

Anyway I'd rather see an FS1R emulation than YAVA.....yet another virtual analog.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

fmr wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:04 pm
thejonsolo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 pm

Digitally controlled, NOT digital (the same goes to the Roland Junos, JX-3P, etc.)
thejonsolo wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 pm The outputs had digital to analog converters...so I think this qualifies it.
Really? Strange. How come a synth that has analog filters have a DAC output? Still, I own the Korg EX-8000 (which I believe is an upscaled version) and it has no such thing. And I saw no sign of DAC mention in the manual either :shrug:

And the Poly-800 II is NO FM synth either. It's basically the same synth architecture, but with some added functions in the DCOs (which may qualify them as "digital" oscillators) and added with a digital delay. But it still has a VCF so, we may call it a hybrid synth, I guess.

The same goes to the EX-8000, BTW, which can even produce digitally generated waveforms that are more complex than the usual saw, square and pulse (like organ, acoustic piano, harpsichord, el guitar, el pianos, etc.)
It looks as if two synths are being conflated here....

The Korg Poly-800, EX-800 and Poly-800 II had digitally controlled oscillators, with the Poly-800 II having some added delay effects and other things. None of those had DAC, and they were not FM (though there are mods available which offer FM synthesis for the Poly-800).

The Korg EX-8000 (not the EX-800) was the tabletop version of the Korg DW-8000; it was not related to the EX-800, which was the tabletop version of the Poly-800.

All that said, the Roland Cloud D-50 should easily qualify as an "emulation of a vintage digital synth".

Steve
Last edited by planetearth on Thu May 02, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Also, the E-MU Emulator X3 and Proteus VX should qualify, even if they're both difficult to find and the latter is only 32-bit. But they read Emulator and/or Proteus files, and the Proteus VX even came with what basically amounted to a ROM dump from the Proteus 2000.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

deastman wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:06 pm The Korg EX-8000, DW-6000, DW-8000 are definitely hybrids. Digital wavetable oscillators and analog filters. Plus a digital delay on the 8000 series.
Yes, that's how I look at them.
Fernando (FMR)

Jace-BeOS wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:06 pm
The same goes for the Fizmo, at least. AFAIK, it was a completely digital synth.
Fernando (FMR)

Just about every vintage keyboard I'd want in a plugin has been mentioned in this thread.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

There is one I would like to see emulated in a plug-in format that hasn't been mentioned yet: Yamaha SY99.

There are many FM plug-ins already, but none that takes the FM synthesis where the SY99 took it, marrying it with subtractive and sampling.

Of course, I also would love to have an FS1R, or better yet, a plug-in that would mix both.
Fernando (FMR)

Did anyone mention Arturia's CZ V yet?

Examigan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:42 pm Did anyone mention Arturia's CZ V yet?
The OP :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”