Is Bitwig dying?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The grid was supposed to be THE thing, but a search on you tube reveal only a handful of videos covering this. there is about one new video per month about Bitwig and most of them have only a couple hundred views. almost nothing on facbook too.

is bitwig painting itself in the corner by acting like a synth and pretending to be a daw?

By participating in beta, you're agreeing to NOT post any videos and people are honoring that agreement.

Mattias said yesterday he asked Bitwig for permission specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbmNP5aE2LM&t=0s

and apparently he got it and posted his live-stream today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UmLNGLlEc

As for the rest - lol :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

v3 is in beta and you can't demo a beta. On the other hand Grid is such a rabbit hole, that it will take some time for people to wrap their head around the possibilities and start uploading videos that showcase what special things it can do, for now we just know for sure that even if it's the same as what you can do in Reaktor, it's hell of a lot easier even for total beginners.

Not drowning, waving

x.iso wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:30 pm for now we just know for sure that even if it's the same as what you can do in Reaktor, it's hell of a lot easier even for total beginners.
True, but Reaktor is an instrument, and Bitwig is a DAW. And it doesn't even support ReWire. I personally don't believe that people who don't like Bitwig 2 as a DAW(!) will start to do so because of the Grid. If I were Bitwig, I'd split it off, in a MuLab/MUX fashion.

tubular2000 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm there is about one new video per month about Bitwig
I have a google news search for Bitwig and can assure you that there is 2-3 videos a day! :party:

pk-1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 pm True, but Reaktor is an instrument, and Bitwig is a DAW. And it doesn't even support ReWire. I personally don't believe that people who don't like Bitwig 2 as a DAW(!) will start to do so because of the Grid. If I were Bitwig, I'd split it off, in a MuLab/MUX fashion.
It's always much more efficient baked in the DAW, and Bitwig is a good DAW for people interested in modular stuff anyway. That's the way I see it.

my point is that i doubt that the grid will attract new users, it's just a fun thing to have, and a fun way to lose many hours. the thing is they will spend a year of development on a single feature. it's better to give a little bit to everyone on a regular basis than to give a lot to a narrow group in a single shot and spend a year debugging it.

tubular2000 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 pm my point is that i doubt that the grid will attract new users, it's just a fun thing to have, and a fun way to lose many hours. the thing is they will spend a year of development on a single feature. it's better to give a little bit to everyone on a regular basis than to give a lot to a narrow group in a single shot and spend a year debugging it.
Well it attracted me for sure. It's quite a gamechanger in modular environments and it's not 'single feature', it's a wide range of possibilities opened now.

No one here agrees bitwig is dying and if you think that is the case there are plenty of other things to busy yourself doing so no use sticking around here.

On the contrary. I’ll renew my subscription when the time comes. This DAW is sweeet

tubular2000 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 pm my point is that i doubt that the grid will attract new users, it's just a fun thing to have, and a fun way to lose many hours. the thing is they will spend a year of development on a single feature. it's better to give a little bit to everyone on a regular basis than to give a lot to a narrow group in a single shot and spend a year debugging it.
The Grid has been the vision of Bitwig right from the start. They described it before v1 even launched. How many users it might attract I don't know and don't care. Bitwig is doing just fine. A recent KVR poll had Bitwig 4th among all the listed DAW's. A far better showing than a year or two ago. The forum is busier and it is clearly on the upwards swing.

For me, the Grid is freakin awesome. I've been getting some of the most gorgeous sounds out of it of any of my synths... software or hardware.

Well, the promise of a modular concept was actually a core part of Bitwig's marketing from its inception. I think Bitwig's target market is people who, rather than feeling like they're losing many hours knocking together contraptions - want a DAW that lets them roll their own instruments/FX with native tools. Not unlike Reaper I guess, but more of a visual builder approach than scripting/setting fiddly config options in sub-sub-sub-menus. :hihi: And Bitwig has been a leader in things like MPE, internal modulation, user controller scripting, touch compatibility - so it's clear that pushing the envelope (or LFO :D ) is part of their business plan.

It's great that the Grid is showing up in v3, and this modular system looks very promising. I sold Bitwig 1.x as Live better meets my current needs, but I always keep my eyes on this forum and try out demos several times a year. If v3 addresses the Mac performance issues that have persisted through v2, I'd be happy to buy a license again.

I like the Grid so much I can happily uninstall Reaktor from my audio computer.

Reaktor and Max (and M4L) are no comparison to The Grid for fast, intuitive sound design workflow. Not even in the same league. The sounds you can get out of The Grid with very little knowledge and just a zeal for exploration is unparalleled.

Bitwig ain’t dying. It’s the future for electronic music production.

Return to “Bitwig”