The arrogance of Steinberg!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was invited to join the Steinberg development team as a beta tester on recommendation from an associate. Cool, I thought.

I received an email yesterday from Steinberg outlining all of their requirements for beta testers. As expected for such a large program, a lot of time is required for all the documentation, etc. The last requirement on the list was: "we expect that a new beta tester owns and has registered the last official version of the Steinberg product which he or she wants to beta test."

Say WHAT? They expect me to spend $500 on a copy of Cubase so I can test it for them? Apparently they think that beta testing their software and spending hours documenting it is a PRIVILEGE?

They already have paying customers providing feedback that is largely ignored. I guess you have to be a paying "beta tester" to have your comments heard.

Wow. Good luck, Steinberg. I switched from Cubase to another DAW a while back and now I'm even more convinced I made the right move.

So you expect you can become a beta tester out of nothing? Having lots of experience (and thus owning) the product, to me is not that odd as a requirement...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Also, it would be really nice way to get Cubase for free.

Fender19 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 pmI switched from Cubase to another DAW a while back and now I'm even more convinced I made the right move.
Probably not the best person to be beta testing Cubase then.

Your topics are golden everytime :lol: Beta testing a daw in its 10th version with all its features is something different than beta test a plugin... Maybe your expectations are just a bit off :wink:

such arrogance indeed...

Well yeah, it's arrogant. Other nicer devs hand out NFRs for beta testers.

BlueprintInc wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:08 pm Your topics are golden everytime :lol: Beta testing a daw in its 10th version with all its features is something different than beta test a plugin... Maybe your expectations are just a bit off :wink:
How much time do you think it would take to go through every feature and function in such a program? Do you think all that time should be donated to Steinberg for ZERO compensation - no discount version, no NFR version, nothing?

swatwork wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:04 pm
Fender19 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 pmI switched from Cubase to another DAW a while back and now I'm even more convinced I made the right move.
Probably not the best person to be beta testing Cubase then.
I used Cubase for 20 years up until about 6 months ago.

BertKoor wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:59 pm So you expect you can become a beta tester out of nothing? Having lots of experience (and thus owning) the product, to me is not that odd as a requirement...
I used Cubase for 20 years up until about 6 months ago. PLENTY of experience with it and other DAWs.

Youlean wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:00 pm Also, it would be really nice way to get Cubase for free.
Beta testing can be done with a time limited license just like their demo products.

BlueprintInc wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:08 pm Your topics are golden everytime :lol:
What other topics are you referring to?

Not that big of a deal imo. You need to be an existing license owner to gain access to the Ableton Live beta program, hardly arrogant, just sensible business practice if you ask me.
Always Read the Manual!

Steinberg doesn't hands out NFR neither for plugin developers. We were asked to download the demo of Cubase when we asked for an NFR copy for debugging.

Fender19 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:56 pm Say WHAT? They expect me to spend $500 on a copy of Cubase so I can test it for them? Apparently they think that beta testing their software and spending hours documenting it is a PRIVILEGE?
Yeah, they really should be giving out free full versions to random non-owners who fill in a form saying they'll do some testing, honest guv. Why on earth would they want their testing done by actual customers who have provably made a concrete investment in the product, who are likely to already know their way around it?
Its almost like they think beta testing should be actual testing by real-life users, rather than people looking to score some free swag.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”