TOYBOX - the new modular toolkit for Reaktor Racks, with free pack!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
lnikj
KVRAF
2002 posts since 23 May, 2005 from the North Cornwall coast

Post Mon May 13, 2019 5:52 am

David@TOYBOX wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:15 am
Hey Guys, just got back from Superbooth (we had so much fun and met so many cool folks, missing Berlin now). Just letting you know we are extending the superbooth 20% discount for an extra couple of days (till Thursday), just enter the code SUPERBOOTH when checking out --> https://www.toyboxaudio.com

@lnikj Thanks for the feedback!! :)
I wasn't aware that there was a Superbooth discount !

That just got you a purchase of the full bundle. Cheers :tu:

acid alex
KVRist
96 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Re: TOYBOX - the new modular toolkit for Reaktor Racks, with free pack!

Post Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 am

I’m actually addicted to this pack.

Was watching a video of Kickstart VST which is an easy way to add a side chain compression effect using preset volume envelopes. Knocked up the same effect up in a few minutes with the Toy Box multi-point envelope :-)

CinningBao
KVRAF
1844 posts since 15 Apr, 2004 from Capital City, UK

Post Thu May 16, 2019 12:59 am

acid alex wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 am
Our work is done :)

Seriously though, I know what you mean; you begin to see solutions for your whole life in the spiderweb of wires and modules. Is that what you mean? ;)

acid alex
KVRist
96 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Post Thu May 16, 2019 1:44 am

CinningBao wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:59 am
acid alex wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 am
Our work is done :)

Seriously though, I know what you mean; you begin to see solutions for your whole life in the spiderweb of wires and modules. Is that what you mean? ;)
That exactly :-)

lnikj
KVRAF
2002 posts since 23 May, 2005 from the North Cornwall coast

Post Thu May 16, 2019 2:25 am

I was intrigued in your Ask.Video session David when you talked early on about the sum module, adding gates, and a gate being "twice as loud". That doesn't make any sense to me. A gate can be 'twice the voltage' but a gate is a gate, the only things that are relevant to it are whether it is above a certain threshold and its length.

However, in the case of your drum module in the example, it seems you are correct. Your drums are triggered by the reset input, and herein may lie the problem, in that I don't know whether your/Reaktor's reset input behaves differently to a gate input (and I'm not sure why it is not a gate input?), but the input is sensitive to the voltage that is sent to it. Is it doing double duty as a combined velocity & gate input?

In the attached screenshot the Hetrick drum module behaves as I would I expect to a voltage that is far higher than necessary to trigger it, but yours is louder on the right channel (being fed the sum) than the left channel (being fed a single gate signal). In fact it internally clips slightly (I hear a little click) on the right channel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David@TOYBOX
KVRer
26 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Tue May 21, 2019 9:21 am

Sound designer CinningBao getting cuddly with some FMed supersaws! -->

https://youtu.be/12Fw1r-fNc0

David@TOYBOX
KVRer
26 posts since 15 Apr, 2019

Post Tue May 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Is it doing double duty as a combined velocity & gate input?
Yes :) this is exactly how it works with other blocks in Reaktor, for example gate signals coming from the Native Instruments Block Base 'Note In' block connected via MIDI will be higher in value the harder the MIDI key is pressed.

All signals in Reaktor blocks are the same kind of signal, a gate signal is really no different to a pitch signal which is no different to an audio signal, they are all just audio signals with values ranging between -1 and 1, so the positive value of the gate signal can be used to determine its 'velocity'.

2 gate signals arriving at exactly the same time at the sum block will be added together and the velocity of the outputted gate signal will therefore be doubled, then if you have velocity enabled on the block receiving the signal it will be louder (the envelope and sampler blocks both have a 'VEL' button which you can disable, to disable velocity sensitivity)..

If you use the gate merge block instead of the sum block the gates will be intelligently merged, I tend to use the sum block to sum gates in general though because the adding together thing works out to be kinda musical..

Return to “Instruments”