EQ'ing

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Eclectrophonic
KVRist
36 posts since 24 Aug, 2014

Post Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:16 am

Hi All!

After tips on EQ'ing.

Well I know what an EQ does, I understand it but how do you know how to use it? what do you use it for?

I know there's creating the instruments own space. What would you look at in the spectral analysis for instance in that scenario? I tend to just low pass bass for instance but again, not really knowing what I'm doing, so to start, if there's no frequencies above say 2khz, cut everything above that. I've just looked at a patch on Synapse The Legend (Bass Carpet RH) and on the Reason Spectrum EQ it didn't look like there were frequencies above 5.1kHz but (and I'll include a pic playing an A2 single note) on FabFilter Pro Q3 it goes all the way up to 20khz. You wouldn't think bass had frequencies that high. Can any explain why that is?

Looking at it another way, would it be better not to give an instrument it's own space unless there's a reason to? say, if in the context of when you've built up say 5 elements, piano, bass, strings, vocal and drums then to EQ them to have their own space if ones seemed to me not cutting though the mix?

Lastly, if you had a lead sound (which I did earlier) and you wanted to improve the sound to give it your own flavour, what would you do. I'm talking more EQ here but feel free to include other things. Let's say the lead sound had no effects externally or within the synth added.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

qgg
KVRer
6 posts since 9 Apr, 2019

Re: EQ'ing

Post Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 am

Hey, I can't really explain the difference between the different spectrum analyzers, especially since I don't use Reason. However, to answer some of your questions:

- There are a ton of bass sounds with high frequencies! For example, if you used a distortion effect on a deep bass sound (which a lot of synth presets do), this will create high frequency content. How much high frequency content a "bass sound" has simply depends on how the sound is created.

- If you want those higher frequencies or not is another question and one that should be answered by the need of the mix and the sound you're going for. A bass with more high frequency content will sound more present in the mix (you can hear it better), but it might also take a lot of room from other instruments.

- There's no need for EQ if there's no need for EQ. :) (but often, there is!)

- To improve a sound, try to go to the sound source first (synthesis, expression, etc.), then go to effects and then see if you can improve anything with an EQ. You might want to cut certain frequencies that don't enhance the sound or boost frequencies to add more clarity, presence or sparkle.

colonel_mustard
KVRist
58 posts since 24 Apr, 2019

Post Wed May 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Did you see Dan Worrall’s guide to EQ? He’s pretty good at explaining what he’s doing and why:
https://youtu.be/_fDg_pgit5c
https://youtu.be/47ZBiowAVdI

Recent thread here too:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=521555

Some basics:
Cuts are simple and they can solve a lot of problems. Cut sounds that annoy you. Don’t be shy.
If you don’t think something needs EQing, it doesn’t. Don’t make problems if you can help it.

As qgg says, it’s probably better to go to the source for sound design, rather than fixing things downstream.

Benedict
KVRAF
2651 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm

If you can't hear a reason, then do nothing. If you want more/less of something in the sound then boost/cut.

It does get a bit more complex than that but above is the basic rule. If you build from that you will never be too far off right. Over time you will learn to hear better and then you may make different decisions but for now...

:-)

Benedict
KVRAF
2651 posts since 5 Mar, 2004 from Gold Coast Australia

Post Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 am

This may help you. I talk broadly at first (recapping the first two videos in the series), cover some common misconceptions about EQ in general then show a whole mix being done using EQ alone.

https://youtu.be/-cyRFOYIEBY

:-)

Return to “Production Techniques”