3.0 beta is in the user accounts!!! :o

Official support for: bitwig.com
Karbon L. Forms
KVRian
1206 posts since 10 Jun, 2004 from Inverness, Scotland

Post Sat May 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Beer wearing off version with proper scaling after dead space. Last one was hitting the "Bend" half way up. And variable deadspace. Yeah a wee graphy thing like Cypher would suck less but.
pressure_curve2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

pdxindy
KVRAF
15459 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Re: 3.0 beta is in the user accounts!!! :o

Post Sun May 12, 2019 1:11 pm

With the S/H LFO set to Hold, shouldn't each new note trigger a different value which is held for the life of the note?

konXfront
KVRist
34 posts since 9 Mar, 2014

Post Mon May 13, 2019 8:31 am

Anybody having problems with midi notes not tracking? Voices are set to 5 and I’m staggering three notes on the piano roll. Sometimes it catches sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve sent notice to support but they can’t reproduce it.

I have problems with crackling sounds as well with both 3beta and 2.5.1

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 am

I'm having so much fun playing with the Grid! Whether some drones, or generative sequenced stuff... or using feedback loops to make dynamic lead sounds or working with samples and audio rate modulations to make evolving soundscapes... Am getting many pleasing and organic tones flowing out without much effort.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6557 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 am

pdxindy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 am
I'm having so much fun playing with the Grid! Whether some drones, or generative sequenced stuff... or using feedback loops to make dynamic lead sounds or working with samples and audio rate modulations to make evolving soundscapes... Am getting many pleasing and organic tones flowing out without much effort.
I'd love to hear some examples! I haven't had much time to experiment with the grid yet, but I'm still not a huge fan of the sound of bitwig oscillators/dsp so am skeptical. But I've usually liked the examples you've posted designing sounds with other synths so I'm happy to convinced before I get the chance to put in some time with the grid.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

xbitz
KVRAF
2436 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Tue May 14, 2019 1:06 pm

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

sl1914
KVRist
476 posts since 24 Feb, 2008

Post Wed May 15, 2019 3:40 am

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Wed May 15, 2019 8:10 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:47 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 am
I'd love to hear some examples! I haven't had much time to experiment with the grid yet, but I'm still not a huge fan of the sound of bitwig oscillators/dsp so am skeptical. But I've usually liked the examples you've posted designing sounds with other synths so I'm happy to convinced before I get the chance to put in some time with the grid.
I haven't been recording much as I'm just playing around and not even saving presets yet... but here is one example of a generative never exactly repeating Grid construct. Totally dry... no FX at all

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/grid-generative-01.mp3

Hez
KVRian
609 posts since 10 Dec, 2013

Post Thu May 16, 2019 3:04 am

Anyone else having some trouble with PDC? I've noticed that drawing a square automation send (e.g. just automating send from -inf to 0db back to -inf for a single drum hit) is no longer as tight as it used to be, and the initial part of the sound isn't captured in the send. Previous versions have felt extremely tight in this regard so possibly some sort of regression with 3.0?

I haven't tested whether it's specifically related to having instances of the grid loaded in a project yet.

abique
KVRian
702 posts since 26 May, 2013 from France, Montpellier

Post Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 am

Hez wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:04 am
Anyone else having some trouble with PDC? I've noticed that drawing a square automation send (e.g. just automating send from -inf to 0db back to -inf for a single drum hit) is no longer as tight as it used to be, and the initial part of the sound isn't captured in the send. Previous versions have felt extremely tight in this regard so possibly some sort of regression with 3.0?

I haven't tested whether it's specifically related to having instances of the grid loaded in a project yet.
You mean send using external hw effect?

Hez
KVRian
609 posts since 10 Dec, 2013

Post Thu May 16, 2019 4:06 am

abique wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 am
Hez wrote:

No, just sending to a Bitwig effect track with e.g. a delay or reverb on it. I think I can remember which project I was working on yesterday which had issues (got a bit carried away with The Grid and started too many different things :D), I'll see if I can reproduce it.

EDIT: Hm can't reproduce it in the project opened fresh, I'll see if I notice it again at some point - could just be my imagination...

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Thu May 16, 2019 5:21 am

Hez wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:06 am
abique wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 am
Hez wrote:

No, just sending to a Bitwig effect track with e.g. a delay or reverb on it. I think I can remember which project I was working on yesterday which had issues (got a bit carried away with The Grid and started too many different things :D), I'll see if I can reproduce it.

EDIT: Hm can't reproduce it in the project opened fresh, I'll see if I notice it again at some point - could just be my imagination...
I've had a few random oddities happen that were then not repeatable.

mclstr
KVRist
143 posts since 13 Dec, 2016 from Tucson, AZ, USA

Post Thu May 16, 2019 6:31 am

After many hours playing with 3.0 beta, I think this is a huge update, especially for anyone who designs their own sounds.
And I suspect we will start seeing lots of presets available soon for people who aren't into creating sounds and instead tend to just use presets created by others most of the time.

I feel compelled to only use Grid and haven't touched any other synth VST since it was released.
The CPU efficiency is quite good compared to other modular type VSTs, on Debian anyway.

You can go crazy and use too many modules and then see CPU spikes like with any modular synth, but I have had twenty instances of Grid running with mix of 1, 2 and 3 voice polyphony on a low powered laptop without issues.
I do rarely stack voices or use more than three VCOs in a patch so far.

x.iso
KVRist
173 posts since 27 Mar, 2019 from Russia

Post Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 am

dunno, sometimes Grid doesn't eat too much on my old laptop with i7-3537U 2.5hz (actually goes up to 2.9 on load with no throttling issues), but sometimes it does tax it quite a bit. can take just 3-4 Grid devices with mild complexity (the way I see it) to go at 100% mark and I think in some cases I was able to make some similar sounding patches with Phase-4 and modulators with less CPU usage before.
(example on screenshot uses 16 voice polyphony with about 6-7 used)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mclstr
KVRist
143 posts since 13 Dec, 2016 from Tucson, AZ, USA

Post Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 pm

x.iso wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 am
... but sometimes it does tax it quite a bit...
Hmm I wonder why the difference.

I do know I never set my polyphony to more than what I need. I found that you do get an increase in CPU utilization for each note of polyphony.

I do get better efficiency with Grid than Bazile, my previous preferred modular style synth.
So I am feeling good.

Return to “Bitwig”