Help me find a hw synth for my daughter

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys !

I'm looking for a hw synth for my daughter who'll be 14 this summer. Although I know quite a bit about synths I'm not very familiar with modern hw syntths. Apart from things I'm personally interested in such as the sub 37 or KORG's arp Odyssey clone. But I don't think they're very suitable for her. Apart from that I'm mainly familiar with hw syntths form my youth in the 80s.

And so, what I'm looking for is a budget synth that has both analogue sounds as well as stuff like pianos etc...

A simple built in rhythm machine and a sequencer (so she can make her own songs) would be good also.

She's into Hip-Hop and R&B.

So what can you guys recommend / suggest ?

mine is about the same as yours and i've been thinking about getting her one of those arturias to play with. mono, but well built and fun starting point. they came in different colors at one point too, which i thought was fun.

not really my area...but

maybe a novation circuit?

analog synth? check
percs? yup
sequencer? mmhmm
budget? yoobethcya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVcsQ_DFows
ImageImageImage

Dasheesh wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:20 pm mine is about the same as yours and i've been thinking about getting her one of those arturias to play with. mono, but well built and fun starting point. they came in different colors at one point too, which i thought was fun.
Hi,
is your daughter a R&B / Hip-Hop fan too ?

Not sure which Arturia you'd in mind. I'd a fast look at this little Brute thing. But my first thought was "Oh, yeah, that one would be nice to take over".

She likes to sing along. So I'm not sure if anything mono is ideal.

She want's to learn how to play. So I've to take that into consideration as well. Like, normal sized keys and at least 37 keys.

The novation thing looks cool. I'll check it out :)

sounds like you are looking at more of a rompler. something with with piano sounds and such.

i don't know what your budget is, but on the cheaper side are the modern rolands. the juno family comes to mind. i think they are about 800$.

if you want to keep it more on the synthesizer side of things people are liking the new behringers a lot. not what you remember behringer to be in the past. they have put a lot of work into them.

For this one I think the maximum is something like $500.

The best I think would be some kind of analog / rompler hybrid.

I don't want to pick one of those "toys" with built in speakers, buttons for Bossa Nova / 'Rock etc. If you know what I mean.

I'll check the Juno family and the Behringer. Not familiar with the later really. I'm only aware of their model D clone.

What was the Arturia model you're considering ?

For a 13/14-year-old’s first synth I’d consider something like a Roland Gaia, especially if you can find a good deal. I’ve never tried one out myself but it looks to be a nice, tactile object for her to bond with, which is probably quite an important consideration. Some people hate on it, but there’s a lot of love out there too. Overview here:
https://youtu.be/IQLqG3MN5rE

ROMpler sounds are buried in there somewhere, which is rare. I can’t think of any budget workstations come to think of it. I guess computers killed the market (would she prefer a Maschine?).

I’ll also mention Syntorial, which is pretty great.
https://www.syntorial.com/

JD-XI

kvotchin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:21 amJD-XI
+1

Jdxi
Electribe2 (sample)
Bunch of Volcas
Novation grooveboxes

I checked both Roland GAIA and the JD-Xi. Bot looks indeed very suitable for her.

The prices are OK. But I think I can find a good deal somewhere.

I've to read up a bit more on those. But as of now they where excellent suggestions.

Very appreciated - thanks a lot ! :tu:

In this day and age it's ok to admit you are buying a sinthesiser for yourself.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”