How do You Make A Midi Play Back Exactly What You Entered?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a midi drum set up on the software. I have applied the PowerDrumKit VST and when I hit the drumpad the sound comes through to my headphones and the software is picking it up. When I arm the track and click record the sound still comes through and the recording red line moves across the track. When I stop recording the notes played show up on the track where I hit the drum, However when I play the track back only 2 to 3 notes out of maybe 20 come through on the headphones? any ideas?

Welcome to Fantasy Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x_QbVDlLbI

Are you recording MIDI or AUDIO?

Are you trying to record by hitting the pads on the GUI instead of using a MIDI controller or Step Time recording?

What DAW?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Midnight1810 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:29 am I have a midi drum set up on the software.
Luckily we're all psychic, so know what 'the software' is. Its because you didnt do that thing with the software which makes it work.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I am using the DAW Tracktion 7
I am trying to use a physical electronic drum kit to relay the signals from its MIDI output into the DAW

Can anyone help?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Okay, so you’re using Traktion 7. So far so good. What brand and model of drum kit are you using? Is it connected to your computer with MIDI cable or USB? What is your MIDI and audio interface? What plugin are you using in Traktion to generate drum sounds?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

1) Brand of drum kit is DD-70
2) Connected with a MIDI to usb cable (printer cable to usb)
3) not sure what you are asking
4) plug in is PowerDrumKit

Is it possible the recorded midi is being auto quantized to the wrong time signature? Try turning quantise off ...

is there definitely a sample for each note played by the drums?

vurt yes every time i hit a drum on the machine a note is played in the DAW

the Quantise is set to none
every time i hit the drum machine a note plays in DAW

can you try a different plug in?
preferably a synth, then we will know if it's the plug in or somewhere else in the chain.

any basic patch, play and record a passage using every piece of the kit.
let us know how it plays back in a synth?

:)

Midnight1810 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:21 pm vurt yes every time i hit a drum on the machine a note is played in the DAW
When you say 'played in the DAW' what do you mean? You hear a sound? You see a MIDI note recorded?

Have you done anythign to check that the MIDI notes your drumkit create are the same MIDI notes that your plugin is expecting to receive?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I have a DD70. It blows chunks from on high. It also produces noteons and noteoffs with the same timestamp which was a pain. This may or may not have caused playback issues, I can't remember. Probably. Was a pain zooming in 4000% to see the notes anyway.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Return to “Production Techniques”