"How do you get THAT sound"? What do you look for in these explanations?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

The denise are looking to start a new series of content releated to the above question. Everybody wants a way to recreate THAT particular sound they've heard from a song, but our question is: What is it you look for in these types of tutorials? Is video the preferred format? Would the use of diagrams help explain things, for example if we went into more detail about the plugins used for this? Or the history of the technique.

We're genuinely interested to know if you have any opinions, please let us know.

Best,
Joe
Denise Audio - Shape your sound
--------------------------------------------
www.deniseaudio.com

Hi Joe,
in my opinion the best way to explain something is a VIDEO! :-)
It's best because anyone can see (and hear!) in real time what happens,
when -for example- you introduce a new plugin
and it is been explained while tweaking and setting etc...
Regards!
Paolo

What I'd like to see is the thought process while you're creating the sound: to know the motivation for using a specific setting in a synth or a post processing plugin (saturation, distortion, eq, ...).
Don't show us just the final result, but show us the way and principles how to get there.
Hope it makes sense :)

Greets,
sxop

sxop wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:37 pm What I'd like to see is the thought process while you're creating the sound: to know the motivation for using a specific setting in a synth or a post processing plugin (saturation, distortion, eq, ...).
Don't show us just the final result, but show us the way and principles how to get there.
Hope it makes sense :)

Greets,
sxop
Makes perfect sense to me! Thanks for your input.

Joe
www.deniseaudio.com

paolostylo wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:40 pm Hi Joe,
in my opinion the best way to explain something is a VIDEO! :-)
It's best because anyone can see (and hear!) in real time what happens,
when -for example- you introduce a new plugin
and it is been explained while tweaking and setting etc...
Regards!
Paolo
Thanks Paolo, thanks for your input. We also agree video is a good way to show the process.

Best,
Joe
www.deniseaudio.com

In order to explain, show and tell :) It's important to hear how the sound changes after each step.

But it's also important to understand what's going on and what was the reasoning behind particular step. Unfortunatelly many guys just say "turn that up to make it sound good", without any deeper thought.

Remember: being a great producer doesn't make anyone a great teacher.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Production Techniques”