MPC X - anyone else have a crooked data encoder knob?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
noizdawg
KVRer
6 posts since 6 May, 2019

Post Mon May 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Greetings! Glad to be a member here. Have lurked for a decade, and on GS also, but never joined the latter because seemed like a bunch of shenanigans, whereas this seems like a more-straight-up forum, which I appreciate.

I found a need to post, finally - to anyone who has or had an MPC X, have you experienced that the main silver data encoder knob, the one on the right, is off-center? I.e., as you turn it, it has a bit of a wobble to it, like a record that is not centered on the platter? Mine will make and then lose contact with a finger if I hold my finger from my other hand against the edge.

The reason I ask is, Akai has offered to pay for me to ship it in, but it's to a repair center. Short of re-soldering the pot underneath back on, I am not sure they can really fix it, and I don't want the expensive piece getting marred up from tools unnecessarily. Plus it seems it would take many weeks at least to get it fixed and sent back to me.

So, I am thinking of just living with it. Obviously the dial does work, I just get conscious of it sometimes when I spin it fast, and whenever I look at it. I tried looking at my Live but since it has a black dial on a matte black faceplate, it's harder to see... I almost think its knob is a little crooked too. (I did try gently bending the knob to see if I could just straighten it out myself, but any adjustment I do doesn't take, there's no permanent give to however it's mounted... which is a good thing, I suppose.)

deastman
KVRAF
7136 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: MPC X - anyone else have a crooked data encoder knob?

Post Mon May 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Are you sure they’re going to repair your box? I sent my Novation Peak to their repair center, and they just swapped it for a new unit.

I have an MPC Live, but haven’t noticed any issues with the hardware.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

noizdawg
KVRer

Post Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:34 am

Weird, I never got email notification that someone replied! That's good to know - when I saw it was a third part repair center, I thought oh, they must actually just attempt a repair... but if they might swap it out for a new one, that sounds good. I just thought that wasn't going to happen once I saw it was a regular electronics/music equipment repair facility.

noizdawg
KVRer

Post Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Well, I finally sent it off - I'll keep this thread updated what they end up doing! Hopefully it comes back otherwise unscathed. :)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”