What to buy

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

that's good advice
not that i went that route :lol:

but i kinda knew what types of modules i was looking for, if not specific models.
without knowing what the op wishes to achieve any and all advice is fairly useless.

ie: morphagene, i f**king love it, like serious orgasmic love, but to suggest it only to find the op has no interest in sampling of any kind let alone the totalfsu (tm) that morphagene offers.
well, then id have wasted valuable internet memory space that someone could have used to give us perpetual motion machines.

ps: i will be making a post in the year in gear thread later :lol:

We carry both modular software and hardware in our store and I advice my new customers to first have an idea of what kind of sound/music they're after and what kind of workflow as far as performing and recording/producing goes.

Based on that it's much easier to give accurate advice on what modules and brands to look for.

There's soooo much and everything is sooo specific :)

Softube Modular. Design it in software and then you can order it in hardware by clicking a button. And spending a small fortune.

Some favorites from my rack also used everyday and just useful in general so not wasted money

Verbos Complex oscillator, Maths, Rossum Evolution filter, Intellijel linix multi vca

dkingkong wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:12 pm Some favorites from my rack also used everyday and just useful in general so not wasted money

Verbos Complex oscillator, Maths, Rossum Evolution filter, Intellijel linix multi vca
i think maths is a given these days
im surprised it doesn't come fitted as standard in all cases :hihi:

(also love my maths)

Best advice: Don't. :D

scaremony wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:06 pm Best advice: Don't. :D
hahaha

Connect out to in. Repeat.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

foosnark wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:29 pmAnyway, "what to buy" is really one of the all-consuming questions in modular, and you will never fully answer it. For "how to start" though, I agree with Knobs. Start slow, probably with a semi-modular, pick one module that is exciting to you, and don't worry too much about other peoples' advice including this advice :hihi:
Great advice. I started out exactly as you mention, (System 1m + 2 Mother 32s) and my final rack ended up being a Pro 2. :lol: I definitely don’t have the temperament for modular... well, hardware modular. I’m fine with Reaktor. Love it. I just got option paralysis researching modules, so I gave up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:25 am option paralysis
You too?

Heh, I actually don't like working with Reaktor. I gave it a try when Blocks was new (I haven't tried the most recent stuff) and just didn't get along with it all that well. I'm happy to use a handful of favorite things people have built in it once in a while, but I just don't like messing with it otherwise.

I think a big factor for me with all the options is having plenty of downtime at work to plow into the research. :D But I'm getting to the point where I only want to make a couple of changes to my system, and those are circling back toward choices I made earlier. (I miss my Three Sisters filter and having a dedicated West Coast complex oscillator.)

zerocrossing wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:25 am
Great advice. I started out exactly as you mention, (System 1m + 2 Mother 32s) and my final rack ended up being a Pro 2. :lol: I definitely don’t have the temperament for modular... well, hardware modular. I’m fine with Reaktor. Love it. I just got option paralysis researching modules, so I gave up.
I like the sound quality of Reaktor Blocks... and with Racks, the workflow is decent enough now. But wow is the CPU heavy. I run my projects at 96khz and a couple of the factory Blocks ensembles get CPU crackles with the single note.

I also find hardware modular overwhelming. Option paralysis is a good term. For me, I never even reached the researching stage. Just seeing the vast number of possibilities stopped right there.

I prefer semi-modular. I have a Behringer Neutron and a Moog Matriarch on order. I like semi-modular for software too. Bazille is my favorite synth. It has so many possible ways to wire it, yet it is a fixed set of modules without a possibility of adding more. That arrangement works great for me. Full modular is just too unlimited for me.

If you are married and wealthy make sure you have a prenup before going modular.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”