BFD3 - BFD2 expansions are always missing kit pieces

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Percussion and 'DEC Deccabons', actually.

This is what Percussion looks like properly installed. "Kick 18 Djembe" has only a 'Hit' sub-folder by comparison. That's what the installer does. Maybe you have a bad install disk?

I installed from download, and I've re-downloaded and had the exact same drums missing. The only trouble I'm having with Percussion now that I moved the folders is I have I think four instruments that appear in "Unknown" rather than PER. The same with decatoms - they appear only in "Unknown." Oh, and there are no grooves for decatoms. That's probably normal, but why? There's no consistency and therefore no way for me to know whether that's working or like some others, not working.

Let's see what FXpansion says.

As an aside, I've noticed that everybody who says it always works fine is on Mac, including the developer :neutral:

I only wish support would actually answer my questions instead of sending boilerplate responses to "watch the video," which is even more basic than the installation documentation. I am determined to get BFD3 working this time, if it takes all year. They have to be seeing these same errors all over the forum - they should have some clue what the problem is, and I don't think it's the way I clicked the install executable or the way I followed the directions.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Well, I have almost no experience with grooves up to now. Loading 'Pentatonic minor' decatoms as a kit, 'no groove loaded'. NOTE: in BFD2, which is the only way I know to even look for that. I didn't know libraries or kits were associated with grooves. I don't think 'no grooves' tied to Decatoms is an error.

Here, this exactly reflects the folders:

If you can't get someone more on the ball from support, I suggest making some noise on their forum.

In the meantime, I imagine this would work: create the folder at the next level below 'Audio' called DEC Deccabons and below that you want ten folders:

Thanks all for your help. I guess I've gotten as far as I ever will, because basically support never answered my question about how to respond to installer questions about BFD2 location, have given me incorrect advice (to look in certain folders for files which never end up getting installed there), and then telling me that it's OK if I have missing presets, kits, drums, and grooves, because hey "just make your own."

I did succeed in getting all the stuff to be recognized by BFD3, but much of it ends up in the Unknown" category and is thus in a very disorganized state. Furthermore, there's no way to reorganize the "Library." However, I have used the Favorites feature to organize the hundreds of Unknown Presets, Kits, Drums and Palettes into their correct Expansion Pack categories so I can match them up with each other. It's an OK kludge.

Of those I own, the most difficult expansion to install and use is Kabuki and Noh. It's a BFD 1 expansion, so you have to try to get it working well in BFD2 first, as people pointed out in this thread, then ask BFD3 to look at the BFD2 files.

For those Windows users who want to use pre-BFD3 expansions (the majority of them) within BFD3, the best advice is to install them under BFD2 first. Or, if you can't or don't want to install BFD2, when installing them under BFD3, choose the default path for BFD2 that is provided when asked where BFD2 is installed. Then provide a separate folder for each expansion within your data drive/folder. The audio folder, and in some cases the grooves and other folders will end up installed here. However, most of the presets, kits, drums, mixers, grooves, etc., end up in various other locations on the C drive. Do not bother trying to move these to your data drive, as it will often not work. A major problem with BFD3 is that you cannot simply install all your data (including presets, kits, drums, palates) to a separate drive and expect BFD3 to recognize and install it all the next time around. That's because the older expansions insist on installing the non-audio data on the C drive, and they do so in various locations scattered around. Even the newest BFD3 expansions install non-audio data on the C drive. Uh. Fortunately, at least the newest BFD3 expansions are very easy to reinstall, unlike the older ones.

The only long-term solution to this problem is to spend a huge amount of time doing what FXpansion should have already done for us, which is creating BFD3 Presets, Kits, Drums and Palettes for the older expansions, and saving these to the default User location on the C drive. BFD3 will not "see" locations for kits, etc. created on the data drive. However, at some point, you can copy all your precious user-created bfd presets, etc. to your data drive so that it can all get re-copied back to the drive after a future installation.

Or, you can wait for a possible fix in the future, so that this great program will function like other great programs (Camel, Spectrasonics, U-He, etc.) and put all the needed data together in the one location of your choice, and find it all automatically the next time it's installed.

jancivil wrote:Well, I have almost no experience with grooves up to now. Loading 'Pentatonic minor' decatoms as a kit, 'no groove loaded'. NOTE: in BFD2, which is the only way I know to even look for that. I didn't know libraries or kits were associated with grooves. I don't think 'no grooves' tied to Decatoms is an error.

Here, this exactly reflects the folders:

If you can't get someone more on the ball from support, I suggest making some noise on their forum.
With Decatoms, you get the palettes and grooves by loading the presets such as Cantonese and Caprice. I haven't yet determined where the palettes/grooves are, but I intend to find them through the presets and save them as palettes in BFD3 format, as I intend to do with all the other expansions.

Hey - I'm thinking of selling off my BFD3 & some expansion packs I have to bundle with it. Can anyone give me some advice or point me to where I might get it? Need to know how to approach the matter ;) Thanks~!

Hey everyone - I'm thinking of selling off my BFD3 & some expansion packs I have to bundle with it. Can anyone give me some advice or point me to where I might get it? Need to know how to approach the matter ;) Thanks~!

kevinwayne wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:42 am Hey everyone - I'm thinking of selling off my BFD3 & some expansion packs I have to bundle with it. Can anyone give me some advice or point me to where I might get it? Need to know how to approach the matter ;) Thanks~!
The time it's taken you to search for and necro multiple FXPansion threads would have been better served contacting FXP, directly :shrug:

^^^^^indeed, please do not make any more posts about this until you have the info you need to sell it. Contact the company to find out what it takes to transfer the license then go to the sell & buy forum, read the rules there first (please pay attention to the bump rule) and then you can start one, and only one thread selling your product there.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

FXP charges the seller $50USD per license transfer, one or many products. ROLI bought FXP. The transfer info is on the ROLI site here: https://support.roli.com/support/soluti ... -transfers
There is a $50 license transfer fee payable for the transfer of FXpansion product licenses between accounts. This fee is per transaction rather than per product. This fee can be paid by either the buyer or the seller, and this ensures that the new owner has access to all updates, content and extras that the current owner has, as well as the ability to contact Creator Support if necessary.

Buyer
If you're the buyer, please:

Ask the seller of the license(s) you wish to purchase to contact us via support.roli.com/request to confirm that they consent to their products being transferred
Submit a support ticket and
let us know the username of the seller
let us know who is going to pay the transfer fee.
We can then enable a license transfer purchase to be made in the relevant account.

Seller
Please contact us via support.roli.com/request to let us know:

the username of the buyer
who is going to pay the transfer fee.
We can then enable a license transfer purchase to be made in the relevant account.

plexuss wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:01 pm FXP charges the seller $50USD per license transfer, one or many products. ROLI bought FXP. The transfer info is on the ROLI site here: https://support.roli.com/support/soluti ... -transfers
There is a $50 license transfer fee payable for the transfer of FXpansion product licenses between accounts. This fee is per transaction rather than per product. This fee can be paid by either the buyer or the seller, and this ensures that the new owner has access to all updates, content and extras that the current owner has, as well as the ability to contact Creator Support if necessary.

Buyer
If you're the buyer, please:

Ask the seller of the license(s) you wish to purchase to contact us via support.roli.com/request to confirm that they consent to their products being transferred
Submit a support ticket and
let us know the username of the seller
let us know who is going to pay the transfer fee.

Seller
Please contact us via support.roli.com/request to let us know:

the username of the buyer
who is going to pay the transfer fee.
Thanks. :tu: Appreciate a reply of content, and not just "contact Fxpansion" :hihi:

For future reference, when installing let BFD3 determine a new folder, this is the safe way.
I have a highest directory under Documents, called FXpansion. So installing a new product (most of mine were BFD2 vintage), the installer has the name for it all ready, however you have probably not created any such folder yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue May 21, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So it's going to recognize this folder when you load the application.

Some things which are pretty old don't install normally at least under later OSX. The workaround is go inside "Installer" and install from there, although the script may be missing. I forget.

yes, I know this is years ago but for general reception
Gonga wrote: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:41 pmBFD3 will not "see" locations for kits, etc. created on the data drive. However, at some point, you can copy all your precious user-created bfd presets, etc. to your data drive so that it can all get re-copied back to the drive after a future installation.
This may well be a windows-specific issue, I don't know. All the factory kits and presets here were 'created' on the system drive and show in BFD3. BFD2, Deluxe, Percussion, JNF, everything.

Like a lot of things, there is a factory location for these and a user location so as to not overwrite factory anything.
Factory resides in the usual place here, Application Support - FXpansion - BFD3 - System. There would seem to be some equivalent over there on the dark side. ;) I created one for BFD2 and for 3 in my usual location, Documents - FXpansion.

Return to “Instruments”