BFD 3 on sale 75% for BFD ECO owners - worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This deal is back.

I was sure I was going to pull the trigger, but after reading this thread, I'm on the fence.

Any other BFD 3 users care to share their experience? Has ROLI said if they plan to continue development of this software?

FXPansion was recently seeking user feedback right here at KVR about what people might want to see in future versions. I don't think it's dead yet.

Frankly, I think the deal is worth it and more just for the new content. If you use acoustic drum sounds in your music but feel like you could use a step up, I'd say jump on it. If you're already happy with what you have, then that answers your question right there.

What about BFD vs Superior Drummer? I'm inclined to think SD3 is better...

- Mario

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:18 pm FXPansion was recently seeking user feedback right here at KVR about what people might want to see in future versions. I don't think it's dead yet.

Frankly, I think the deal is worth it and more just for the new content. If you use acoustic drum sounds in your music but feel like you could use a step up, I'd say jump on it. If you're already happy with what you have, then that answers your question right there.
Thanks for the info.

I don't have any of the big drum programs and my acoustic drum collection is fragmented - locked to DAWs, various formats like SFZ, Kontakt, etc.

I'm kind of concerned about the learning curve for BFD 3 and wondering if I'll be trading one set of problems for another.

mabian wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:23 pm What about BFD vs Superior Drummer? I'm inclined to think SD3 is better...

- Mario
Probably so, but you'll never see Superior Drummer at this price point. BFD 3 is over 5 years old. The reviews when it came out are pretty stellar, though.

What are you worried about in terms of learning curve? I honestly just use BFD3 to select the drum pieces, adjust tuning/modeling a bit as needed, usually drop the master volume in BFD3, then run individual outputs to my DAW for mixing. I don't try to program grooves in BFD3 or do my mixing there. Then again, you could always try to use presents. The workflow isn't that different from ECO at all.

Agree that it's a shame SD3 is so pricy. I wouldn't mind having that either. But I use BFD3 quite happily.

The email I just got says BFD 3.3 is only for Windows 10 (64-bit) and OSX 10.11 (64-bit). No Windows 8.1? I wonder why.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:24 pm What are you worried about in terms of learning curve?
Some of the posts in this thread aren't very encouraging, but I went for it anyway. Thanks for the nudge.

jsp1979 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:05 pm The email I just got says BFD 3.3 is only for Windows 10 (64-bit) and OSX 10.11 (64-bit). No Windows 8.1? I wonder why.
It looks like their FAQ could use an update, but it says...

"On Windows, BFD3 v3.2.3.3 supports Windows 7 or later versions. BFD3 v3.3.0.32 (Beta) supports Windows 8.1 or later.

Older OS versions may work, but we cannot support or test for them."

But their product page has this under System Requirements...

"BFD3 v3.2 - Win 7/OSX 10.9 or later
BFD3 v3.3 - Win 10/OSX 10.11 or later"

I'm guessing both versions are available. :shrug:

Missed the deal last time. Not gonna miss it this time.

EUR 68 Upgrade from BFD Eco.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

telecharge wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:30 pm
jsp1979 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:05 pm The email I just got says BFD 3.3 is only for Windows 10 (64-bit) and OSX 10.11 (64-bit). No Windows 8.1? I wonder why.
It looks like their FAQ could use an update, but it says...

"On Windows, BFD3 v3.2.3.3 supports Windows 7 or later versions. BFD3 v3.3.0.32 (Beta) supports Windows 8.1 or later.

Older OS versions may work, but we cannot support or test for them."

But their product page has this under System Requirements...

"BFD3 v3.2 - Win 7/OSX 10.9 or later
BFD3 v3.3 - Win 10/OSX 10.11 or later"

I'm guessing both versions are available. :shrug:
Good eye spotting that info in the FAQ.

jsp1979 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:55 pm Good eye spotting that info in the FAQ.
:tu: FWIW, I just registered the serial and this is what's available to download...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeah, FXPansion has always been really good about making prior versions available.

Return to “Instruments”