N.I. Straylight...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, I guess the (obvious) point is that NI is trying to make its Komplete package, well.. complete. So, it may really be a redundant synth outside NI's universe, but not in it. They're filling their own gaps.

I wonder if this will be part of Komplete (regular) or any version for that matter. It's not listed with any of them that I could see, even the ginormous collector's edition. No biggie if not, I enjoy working a bit with fx and synths to make those sounds! :)

The audio demos on the NI site sounded pretty nice to me.

Can't help but laugh at this Blade Runner'ish /Mad Max'ish cheesy trailer :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

Either Umbrella Corp raised The Hive, or really lowered the ground. :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mholloway wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:55 pm Yet another in an endless series of "cinematic toolkit' sample libraries.

yaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

apparently every dude and his retarded cousin is a "cinematic underscore composer" these days.
It's the rise of the drama queen selfies
If you can score it, they will come :hyper:

wagtunes wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:59 pm To be fair, it sounds fine. But how many of these things do we need? NI has to have at least 3 of them alone. Considering the amount of competition in this area (tons) the price tag is ridiculous. Why would I spend $149 on something that is very niche when I could get a synth for that money that can cover a number of bases, including this stuff if it has samples?

I just don't see it as something to get excited about.
i mean, I realise there's the race here to be the first to yawn / say it sounds like boring old crap on KVR at literally any new release (this not directed at you Wags but the thread in general), but IMO it's carved its own little slice of sonic and workflow space. Granular isn't new, modulation isn't new, of course. But the idea here seems to be that it is specifically designed for transitions in particular, and this combined with cinematic sounds, generating sound effects for games etc. It seems like a specific device to get specific but tailored results quickly, kind of a cross between a granular sampler and Rise and Hit. Needing quick but good specific results isn't a prized feature on KVR, but is in the media industry.

Seems like a Komplete Ultimate product rather than Regular, which is always skewed more in the media / film / game direction. I'd expect it to be added to K13 next September, thus on sale in the package for half price Komplete upgrades in, um, June 2021. Maybe as a standalone product half price sale this Christmas. Despite widespread claiming people don't want it at all, I'd expect KVR whining that it isn't available cheaper / sooner next month, in September this year, Black Friday, next June, next September etc.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

These “cinematic” sounds in games and music are just such a complete, f**king cliché now; no wonder NI is virtually giving them away for $149, when previous incarnations of this stuff were $200-$400 a pop.

Marvel movies from even just a couple years ago seem really dated now; the present ones will seem even more so a couple of years from now.

All this insta-soundtrack means the genre is done, and can be easily created by robots now.

realtrance wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:28 am These “cinematic” sounds in games and music are just such a complete, f**king cliché now; no wonder NI is virtually giving them away for $149, when previous incarnations of this stuff were $200-$400 a pop.

Marvel movies from even just a couple years ago seem really dated now; the present ones will seem even more so a couple of years from now.

All this insta-soundtrack means the genre is done, and can be easily created by robots now.
Totally agree with you. Appart very occasional exceptions, especially in movie industry, all soundtracks are sanitized & sound pretty much the same now, with huge massive hits full of lows & subs, aggressive risers finishing with a reserved hit all the sudden. Same old gravy sauce since 10 years now :roll:
Last edited by Neon Breath on Fri May 24, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:02 pm It's basically The Mangle with 2.5 gigs of samples.
Never heard of the Mangle. Is it this one: http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/ ?
Not updated since 2015 :(

greg12000 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 am
wagtunes wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:02 pm It's basically The Mangle with 2.5 gigs of samples.
Never heard of the Mangle. Is it this one: http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/ ?
Not updated since 2015 :(
Yep, that's it.

Absynth for dummies
jk jk

To be honest with their line up of sounds this one doesn't really impress me much.

I think NI is just trying to get these products sold and get some good cash before starting the summer sale; not that sale will not bring cash or something. But by doing this, people who had already planned for Komplete updates/upgrades will get them during the sale and many of them might also get these new products. So more business.

On topic, I always like NI products, but this one even though it sounds good, is not for me.

This pretty much kills any hope for a Absynth 6, don’t see why they would pull that out while having Absynth coming as well, would be straight overlapping products with same market.

realtrance wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:28 am All this insta-soundtrack means the genre is done, and can be easily created by robots now.
sweet! i wanna listen to robot generated sci-fi music...that sounds awesome!
ImageImageImage

realtrance wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:28 am These “cinematic” sounds in games and music are just such a complete, f**king cliché now; no wonder NI is virtually giving them away for $149, when previous incarnations of this stuff were $200-$400 a pop.

Just out of interest - if a Marvel soundtrack of 2 years ago is now “really dated”, can you point to a superhero / blockbuster soundtrack that isn’t dated and is doing something new?

I know this sounds like a tangential question, but the idea that anything popular must by definition be tired and dated is a meme that pops up on KVR with some regularity and I’m curious enough to kick the tires on this particular one.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”