Is Bitwig dying?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, older post... now i see the Bitwig 3.1 wishlist is riddled with comping requests ....

Jolaff wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:28 am
Astralp wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:22 pm I’ve decided to probably wait to see what they do for 3.1 which I think is supposedly workflow related. I hope that’s true.
Where did you get that information ?
It was never said explicitly, but can be implied from last paragraph here:
https://www.bitwig.com/en/19/behind-the ... arity.html
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

telecode wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:10 pm

For example, if you buy into the Pro version, what will it cost you to keep up to date vs just buying into the Artist or Elements version and keep upgrading and compare the features you are getting to what you will actually use and what those features are compared to other DAWs.
For a hobbyist such as myself it would be much more sensible to just use the cut down versions, I will never use the features that the Pro versions provide. But,they know - and I know, I would always be hankering after the Pro versions wondering what I am missing.

Dastardly capitalist marketeers. :hihi:

dellboy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 am
telecode wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:10 pm

For example, if you buy into the Pro version, what will it cost you to keep up to date vs just buying into the Artist or Elements version and keep upgrading and compare the features you are getting to what you will actually use and what those features are compared to other DAWs.
For a hobbyist such as myself it would be much more sensible to just use the cut down versions, I will never use the features that the Pro versions provide. But,they know - and I know, I would always be hankering after the Pro versions wondering what I am missing.

Dastardly capitalist marketeers. :hihi:
I think the capitalism and GAS only exists in the Internet on KVR and Gearsluts forums. Actual places and pros use old stuff and take a if it ain't broke don't fix it approach. There are gazillion of posts of guys going in studios and they are on Cubase 5 or 6 and stuff like that. The whole market is like the gold rush industry on Klondike. The only people that struck gold where the merchants that sold shovels and picks to gold diggers. GAS is basically constantly buying new shovels and picks. Still, one can't resist Cubase Pro for $200 when all others are selling Pro comparables for double and triple. :hyper:
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

tubular2000 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm The grid was supposed to be THE thing, but a search on you tube reveal only a handful of videos covering this. there is about one new video per month about Bitwig and most of them have only a couple hundred views. almost nothing on facbook too.

is bitwig painting itself in the corner by acting like a synth and pretending to be a daw?
Yeah, its dying. A lack of YT videos on a product still under NDA can only ever be indicative of a full-blown collapse of the company. The end times are near, best to start researching which dayglo Reaper skin makes your eyes vomit least.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

dellboy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 amFor a hobbyist such as myself it would be much more sensible to just use the cut down versions, I will never use the features that the Pro versions provide.
The problem is their definition of artist vs. pro, because - to them - artist is someone who sits there with a guitar and/or piano, wants to record their performance and perhaps edit it a bit. You can be a hobbyist but be doing complex electronic music anyway, which requires a lot of "pro" features. That for example is the case with Studio One, where all the fun instruments, effects, scratch pads, multi-instruments and extended FX chains and even VST compatibility (!) are only available in "pro" version. I never really analysed Cubase from that angle, but I'm pretty sure it's similar.
Music tech enthusiast

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:31 amYeah, its dying. A lack of YT videos on a product still under NDA can only ever be indicative of a full-blown collapse of the company. The end times are near, best to start researching which dayglo Reaper skin makes your eyes vomit least.
:hihi: :clap:
Music tech enthusiast

Jolaff wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:28 am
Astralp wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:22 pm I’ve decided to probably wait to see what they do for 3.1 which I think is supposedly workflow related. I hope that’s true.
Where did you get that information ?
It will have been on this forum, somebody mentioning it possibly in one of the beta threads. How true it is I don't know, but I'm hoping so.

antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:57 am
dellboy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:53 amFor a hobbyist such as myself it would be much more sensible to just use the cut down versions, I will never use the features that the Pro versions provide.
The problem is their definition of artist vs. pro, because - to them - artist is someone who sits there with a guitar and/or piano, wants to record their performance and perhaps edit it a bit. You can be a hobbyist but be doing complex electronic music anyway, which requires a lot of "pro" features. That for example is the case with Studio One, where all the fun instruments, effects, scratch pads, multi-instruments and extended FX chains and even VST compatibility (!) are only available in "pro" version. I never really analysed Cubase from that angle, but I'm pretty sure it's similar.
Cubase Elements is certainly one of the best light versions, they are very generous in terms of core functionality for the price I think. But I couldn't imagine using it exclusively, but it's handy to have on second machine, it can use soft e-licenser for one thing. I've never used Artist but it could probably be enough for most unless you have complex monitoring or hardware needs. But generally there's always going to be a feature you want in the next version up at some point unless you have very good mental discipline!

kpv wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 pm Bitwig really need to up their PR game.
Yup.

Bitwig at Superbooth talking to Warren Huart. 25:13 in video. Link is timestamped to there. Grid at 30:41. Apologies if already posted.

https://youtu.be/gTplAqjB2UU?t=1513

:dog:

How not to impress someone with the grid. :lol:
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Karbon L. Forms wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:59 pm
kpv wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 pm Bitwig really need to up their PR game.
Yup.

Bitwig at Superbooth talking to Warren Huart. 25:13 in video. Link is timestamped to there. Grid at 30:41. Apologies if already posted.

https://youtu.be/gTplAqjB2UU?t=1513

:dog:

For real. That guy doesn't do a good job explaining. I was shaking my head that whole time because there was so much stuff that he should have said and now Warren probably walked away thinking "crappy Ableton Live clone toy thing"

Yep, Warren is not about to switch DAWs. They should have just showed him a bonkers grid doing generative stuff and sounding great. Or something.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Karbon L. Forms wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:59 pm :dog:

To be fair, he was prepared - and probably was doing that the whole day - to explain what's new in 3.0 and how is The Grid different from other modular environments. So that question (what's Bitwig?) simply surprised him and he wasn't sure where to even begin.

I' more interested in seeing that The Grid lecture that was advertised to be happening on Suprbooth:
https://www.bitwig.com/en/home/news-arc ... -2019.html
Music tech enthusiast

ckam03 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:37 pm For real. That guy doesn't do a good job explaining. I was shaking my head that whole time because there was so much stuff that he should have said and now Warren probably walked away thinking "crappy Ableton Live clone toy thing"
I've done a bunch of demo'ing at trade shows... if someone is not that interested there is very little time to say much and these things are synergistic... my demos were always better when people were genuinely interested. And of course if it is at the end of a long day (which can be rather tiring at such shows) that goes double.

Also, the Grid is hard to demo unless someone is specifically into modular software.

pdxindy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:19 pm
Also, the Grid is hard to demo unless someone is specifically into modular software.
Is there a reason that I would want to be into modular software other than to waste a few hours plugging in cables to see what noise comes out ?

Enjoyable, yes, but does it have an end purpose ?

Return to “Bitwig”