N.I. Straylight...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nm
Last edited by samsam on Sat May 25, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:41 am Another thread where people complain about EDM being cliche, pop being cliche and now even movie soundstracks being cliche. Just make it your own way. That's why we are here at KVR - to make music!
Get the job as composer for the next Marvel movie and do it better....so easy!
I bet Disney chooses cliche composers on purpose, to "play safe". Junkie XL is the man who tries unheard, experimental arrangements - but Disney never hires someone like him for the sake of cliche. The movies he scores, however, vary in quality and often soundtrack turns out the best part of it ;P
Disney hired Wendy Carlos for scoring „Beauty and the Beast“. Microtonal music...

Disney hired Wendy Carlos for scoring „Beauty and the Beast“. Microtonal music...
Thanks for the info, but I don't think I'm interested in this movie in particular ;P

Coming back to the topic:

Straylight seems to be interesting, well-thought instrument for this particular kind of sounds it's supposed to deliver. I'd be very interested in it if it offered loading of arbitrary samples. I only buy open-ended synths and not romplers.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Like i said i personal also prefer import my own samples into a granular engine but as mentioned and as the creator also explained that the content was recorded especially for this tool it might makes sense.
At the end i just accept it and love it or leave it.
I will not buy it right now but it would be another reason to upgrade to the next Komplete once it will be added.
One thing i really like a lot is the GUI and workflow i see. That is of course a personal thing as well but for me as important as the sound these days.
There are so much different granular tools and i find something unique in all of them.

For full kontakt owners you must be able to load your own samples though no? You should have access to the instrument design right?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 am For full kontakt owners you must be able to load your own samples though no? You should have access to the instrument design right?
I would assume its locked.

The "I can't load my own samples" thing crops up time and again on KVR. And I've no doubt that for some that's the only way they make music, an ultra-purist view that unless they've milked the cow themselves by hand they won't drink milk. If you go out with a gun mic and a Rycote recording esoteric sounds of industrial machinery which you turn into blissful angelic pads, and that's the only way you can make music, then knock yourself out. But I can't be the only one who suspects a good 50% of these comments are empty bravado, boasting their amazing sound design credentials when in fact they just spend 95% of their time tweaking presets.

It seems that unless every product does literally everything, people will say "meh" and "but it doesn't XYZ". I have this crazy notion that sometimes it makes sense to use a particular tool designed for a particular job.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

The "I can't load my own samples" thing crops up time and again on KVR. And I've no doubt that for some that's the only way they make music, an ultra-purist view that unless they've milked the cow themselves by hand they won't drink milk.
It's not about the "purist", it's about instrument longevity. Without external samples there is limited number of sounds you can get out of it, and it can become boring or uninspiring in some contexts.

On the other hand, I'd like to make use of other samples I amassed over years, such as Iris 2 library. Or custom synth soundscapes I recorded the other day. When it's easy, why limit this possiblity?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

mholloway wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:55 pm Yet another in an endless series of "cinematic toolkit' sample libraries.

yaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

apparently every dude and his retarded cousin is a "cinematic underscore composer" these days.
Ouch, a little too close to the mark. :hyper:
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Not sure if it's been said yet.... but be careful, being that this is granular, this thing requires an i7 processor at least.

Sopranos wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:45 pm Not sure if it's been said yet.... but be careful, being that this is granular, this thing requires an i7 processor at least.
I purchased it and use it on my iMac system with an i5 4-core. Works fine without pops or clicks. That said - it does use 30-40% of CPU. So will need to Freeze tracks to keep CPU in check with a DAW. Initially, I wondered if there was a Microprocessor instruction set used only on with i7's. But it appears not - just a performance guideline.

emasters wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:57 pmI purchased it
How is it?

Perhaps the samples included should be evaluated. The developer said the samples were designed/picked for the instrument (as they should be). Maybe they accounted a great range of grain sounds for sound design.

I do wonder about the granular aspect of it, as some of the granular synths I have (Glitchmachines, Biotek, Granny, Iota) are limited in what can be controlled--Granulator II is the best that I have, but I wonder if there could be more in terms of control.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:48 pm
emasters wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:57 pmI purchased it
How is it?
Still working through it, but so far really interesting sounds and lot's of mangling possibilities. On my screen, the orange/yellow ui is a bit tough on the eyes. But that's a secondary consideration. Need to spend some more time with it at this point.

Looks interesting from the depiction of the controls. 149 dollars interesting, not so much.

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:38 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 am For full kontakt owners you must be able to load your own samples though no? You should have access to the instrument design right?
I would assume its locked.

The "I can't load my own samples" thing crops up time and again on KVR. And I've no doubt that for some that's the only way they make music, an ultra-purist view that unless they've milked the cow themselves by hand they won't drink milk. If you go out with a gun mic and a Rycote recording esoteric sounds of industrial machinery which you turn into blissful angelic pads, and that's the only way you can make music, then knock yourself out. But I can't be the only one who suspects a good 50% of these comments are empty bravado, boasting their amazing sound design credentials when in fact they just spend 95% of their time tweaking presets.
I love to do my own stuff from scratch but let's be realistic. Not always have time or I'm in the mood to do the stuff you described ;) Not to mention that sometimes there's no time to do stuff from scratch because of deadlines. Then having a tool that allows to create specific type of sound quickly because such tool is developed specifically for that purpose is like gods blessing.
Or.. what when customer/employer want a specific sound that such library/tool have just after pressing two buttons? Of course someone may said: 'wait, gimme a one week and I'll do it for you even that deadline is tomorrow but my sound will be.. my sound dude! you'll see! my sound!'... while no one on the entire planet will care if the sound was made from scratch or just quickly tweaked.

The world is not ending on 'making dope beatz in my cave'. Sometimes I feel that people are forgetting that making music is just a one way to use audio software/hardware and there's much much more professions related to audio beside that.

But after all I'm coming to KVR mostly to read those comments :D

Return to “Instruments”