Windows MIDI woes. And need MIDI interface recommendations.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been struggling to get my UNO to talk to its editor over MIDI. I'm in touch with IK on this.

2 UNOs have been tried, so I've ruled out device defect.

I want to use MIDI in/out and USB power only as the full (power+data) USB connection unleashes an unholy amount of ground loop noise.

I'd initially used my Axiom49 as MIDI interface. It was woefully flaky but did work sometimes, allowing the UNO to connect to Editor, but it wouldn't be long before things went silent.

So I ordered an Asmuse AM-01. This turned out to be utterly reliable as far as normal MIDI is concerned but completely refuses to allow UNO/Editor connection. I can only assume this is a sysex issue.

So I start deeper googling and I'm seeing stuff about sysex being an issue with devices that use the MS class-compliant driver. And I see advice for fiddling with buffers in MIDI-OX to allow sysex from file to old synths etc. And advice to go with a non-windows-supplied-driver using interface.

Anyone here clued up on this state of affairs?

The AM-01, OK, it's a nice physical cable, but indeed, it is ungoogleable (just amazon links, sure sign of crap) and windows tells me the driver is indeed MS supplied. Bugger.

I'm now eyeing up Mio stuff as I like the software component. Particularly the Mio2 would future proof me for a second hardware synth.

Another option is to upgrade my Scarlett 2i2 to the 6i6 which gives me a midi port. How's the MIDI side of the Scarlett?

Any other interfaces you guys can vouch for?

Never thought I'd be jealous of the 'tosh folks but I wish we had summat like CoreMidi on windows! I get the impression the entire windows MIDI system is a clusterfuck.

All advice appreciated.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

I'm using a Zoom UAC2 and haven't had problems sending / receiving Sysex between the PC and my TrapKAT. However, I do all Sysex transfers in MIDI-OX, still, as it's reliable.

Yeah, I'd do that if it was sysex files I was dealing with. But this is the sysex betwixt the synth and it's own editor which is out of my control.

It seems the initial handshake and preset sync that causes the no go sysex. If I manage to connect with the Axiom as interface, I can switch the cables to AM-01 cable then change over interface setting in Editor it stays connected. But explodes as soon as you do anything involving preset transfer.
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”