Golden Ears

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have any of you used Dave Moulton's 'Golden Ears'? Being a total noob with God-awful mixes, this is something I've come across in my research on ways to develop my ear for mixing, and it seems like it would be quite useful as a daily workout for my ears, in addition to mixing music of course. A lot of the time my songs will sound 'off', and I can never really pin point why. It would be nice to know more of less exactly which frequencies are too under or over abundant.

frank1985 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:39 pm Have any of you used Dave Moulton's 'Golden Ears'?

No. I believe his ears are stuck to his head.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Lulz

To get frequencies right, use spectrum analyzer. They are mathematically accurate and never get tired.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I realise I can use a spectrum analyser, but I would like to train my ears so that I don’t have to rely on it other than for quick reference.

It’s funny, when I’ve enquired about spectrum analysers in the past I got told “use your ears”, yet when I try to train my ears I get told to just use a spectrum analyser. :)

frank1985 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:29 am It’s funny, when I’ve enquired about spectrum analysers in the past I got told “use your ears”, yet when I try to train my ears I get told to just use a spectrum analyser. :)
Because he's giving you the wrong advice. It's you doing the mix, full stop. Anything else is a tool you could use or pass up.

Return to “Production Techniques”